Chapala.com Webboard

Directions Ajijic to San Miguel

Ajijic

Drive to Guadalajara and follow highway 80 east towards Lagos de Moreno, Monterrey, Laredo and Mexico City.

As you exit the third toll booth reset odometer to ZERO

17.4 miles veer to right staying on 80 LAGOS DE MORENO

31.8 miles take highway 45 to LEON

68.9 miles veer right MEXICO / IRAPUATO

82.6 miles take #110 to GUANAJUATO

91.4 miles is last toll 22 pesos

91.8 miles veer right #67 SM ALLENDE

93.1 miles veer left to SMA

113.1 miles left to SMA

136.2 stop sign, right to SMA

141 miles SMA.

:rolleyes:

Drive to Guadalajara and follow highway 80 east towards Lagos de Moreno, Monterrey, Laredo and Mexico City.

As you exit the third toll booth reset odometer to ZERO

17.4 miles veer to right staying on 80 LAGOS DE MORENO

31.8 miles take highway 45 to LEON

68.9 miles veer right MEXICO / IRAPUATE

82.6 miles take #110 to GUANAJUATO

91.4 miles is last toll 22 pesos

91.8 miles veer right #67 SM ALLENDE

93.1 miles veer left to SMA

113.1 miles left to SMA

136.2 stop sign, right to SMA

141 miles SMA.

Thanks for the precise directions. However, my odometer is in kilometers!!! Mmmmn. I guess I'll get out my conversion calculator. :rolleyes:

Irapuate = Irapuato?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest mrsmarty

I strongly suggest to anyone heading anywhere out of the area that they invest in a copy of the Guia Rojo Road Atlas of Mexico. Super Lake has them as does the Bookstore in Plaza Bugambilias.

I strongly suggest to anyone heading anywhere out of the area that they invest in a copy of the Guia Rojo Road Atlas of Mexico. Super Lake has them as does the Bookstore in Plaza Bugambilias.

I drove to San Miguel de Allende just last week. There are TWO new highways that make the drive quick and easy.

Take the cuota from Guadalajara heading east toward México. Follow the signs for Morelia.

When you come to the exit that goes south to Morelia or north to Salamanca, take the road NORTH toward Salamanca.

You'll cross over the Laguna de Cuitzeo and a couple of much smaller lakes. When you come to the toll booth, take your ticket. You won't pay till you get off. The total is 132 pesos, and well worth it.

Stay on the toll road until you come to the exit for Celaya. That's where you pay the toll. Continue toward Celaya until the road ends. Turn left and follow the signs for San Miguel de Allende.

You do not actually go through either Salamanca or Celaya.

The trip from our house in the southernmost part of Morelia to the door of our friend's house in San Miguel took less than 2.5 hours. We were astonished and would never go another way. Wow!

The trip from our house in the southernmost part of Morelia to the door of our friend's house in San Miguel took less than 2.5 hours. We were astonished and would never go another way. Wow!

So I'm thinking from Ajijic, that would make it about 5-ish hours? Or 5-ish and a half. You know, if you drive like a little old man. Like me.

Wow, indeed.

So I'm thinking from Ajijic, that would make it about 5-ish hours? Or 5-ish and a half. You know, if you drive like a little old man. Like me.

Wow, indeed.

Four-ish and a half. Of course we abuelitas veloces put the pedal to the metal.

By the way, the new roads are not yet in the Guía Roji (note spelling). They're too new.

And stay here: www.casaluna.com. Either of the B&Bs is heaven on earth.

It is a shorter distance Chapala to Ocotlan to the toll road however many times there are trucks and more traffic so the longer route may be quicker depending on the time of day you travel and conditions.

My last trip was 5 hours one way and 4 1/4 return. The difference being a couple of construction spots and backup at two tolls. I agree with Spencer in that although a little further, much of the way I posted is 4 lanes except from Guanajuato. To me the last hour's drive is awesome as it reminds me of New Mexico. Total distance about 250 miles.

I would like more details if you could please? It seems a good route. But what about going to ocotlan then on the new highway? I dont understand why people from ajijic go all the way into guad and then out again, almost over the same route. Could someone eplain? Of course i have a guia rojo but it was printed in 2000

There really aren't any other details, Julia. Drive the GDL/México cuota to the Salamanca/Morelia exit, head north toward Salamanca, turn right to Celaya when the cuota ends, turn left when the road ends, and follow the signs for San Miguel de Allende. It's no more than an hour and a half from the exit to Salamanca to the Jardín in San Miguel. Rather than go all the way to GDL, you can certainly take the Ocotlán road and meet the cuota as you leave Ocotlán.

When I drive to and from Morelia to Lake Chapala, I always drive the libre, or a combination of the cuota from Morelia to the Ocotlán exit and then the libre from there to Ajijic, reversed on the way back to Morelia.

However, lots of older drivers don't like to drive the highway to and from Ocotlán. Used as a three-lane road, that highway can be a little nerve-wracking if you're not a driver who is both extremely assertive and very good at defensive driving. Most foreigners are not used to moving all the way to the right on the shoulder to allow an oncoming driver, barreling down the center yellow line, to pass like a bat out of he*ll. Night-driving on that road can be a gripping (as in gripping the steering wheel) experience as well. I drive it quite often, but many people won't.

It's no more than an hour and a half from the exit to Salamanca to the Jardín in San Miguel. Rather than go all the way to GDL, you can certainly take the Ocotlán road and meet the cuota as you leave Ocotlán.

It takes me 1 to 1.25 hours to drive from Ajijic to the entrance to the cuota at La Barca. From there it is about 1.5 hours to the Salamanca exit driving at 120 km/h.

• 10 months later...

I am going from San Antonio to San Miguel for a couple of weeks & am looking for reasonably priced lodging in a central location where I can walk or ride the bus. Any suggestions ?

In SMA at the jardine is Starbucks and as you walk down Hidalgo along the side of Starbucks you will see hotels on the left in the first couple of blocks. They are not fancy but clean and prices 350 to 450 p. Most of the time easy to get a room as tourism is way down.

Buses are 5 pesos and taxis 25 anywhere in city limits. You can also rent scooters.

Make sure to visit Juarez Park within 4 blocks especially Saturday mornings at 8:30 am where they have Zumba with 250 plus people attending. Cost is 20 p and money to charity. Also if into art Fabrica Aurora with 30 plus galleries, studios etc and they have a web site.

Maps and info on www.fallinginlovewithsanmiguel.com

In my opinion most high priced restaurants are not worth money and many places with entrees under 65 p.

Several hot springs 5 miles north for 70 to 80 p for the day with few people especially on weekdays.

I have done this trip many times and tried various routes. Driving to Guad and then all the way down again to Ocotlan is a waste of time and money also adds 50 miles to the distance plus an extra 100 pesos in toll fees. The best route is Chapala- Ocotlan-

La Piedad-Irapuato-Celaya-San Miguel. Total distance 225 miles toll fees about 130 pesos driving time 4 or 4 and a half hours.

In SMA at the jardine is Starbucks and as you walk down Hidalgo along the side of Starbucks you will see hotels on the left in the first couple of blocks. They are not fancy but clean and prices 350 to 450 p. Most of the time easy to get a room as tourism is way down.

Buses are 5 pesos and taxis 25 anywhere in city limits. You can also rent scooters.

Make sure to visit Juarez Park within 4 blocks especially Saturday mornings at 8:30 am where they have Zumba with 250 plus people attending. Cost is 20 p and money to charity. Also if into art Fabrica Aurora with 30 plus galleries, studios etc and they have a web site.

Maps and info on www.fallinginlovewithsanmiguel.com

In my opinion most high priced restaurants are not worth money and many places with entrees under 65 p.

Several hot springs 5 miles north for 70 to 80 p for the day with few people especially on weekdays.

Thanks for the info !! bjg

I am going from San Antonio to San Miguel for a couple of weeks & am looking for reasonably priced lodging in a central location where I can walk or ride the bus. Any suggestions ?

Can't help you on the housing, but here is our photojournal blog which has a 4 part series on our visit to SMA. Great town with lots to do and see! Enjoy yourself and buena suerte.

Jim & Carole's Mexico Adventure Part 4 comes up first, so just scroll down to Part 1 and work your way up (or not, if you're a contrary sort).

• 2 weeks later...

Can't help you on the housing, but here is our photojournal blog which has a 4 part series on our visit to SMA. Great town with lots to do and see! Enjoy yourself and buena suerte.

Jim & Carole's Mexico Adventure Part 4 comes up first, so just scroll down to Part 1 and work your way up (or not, if you're a contrary sort).

Thanks ! VERY nice blog, I want to take some time to look at it more closely. It was nice meeting you on the streets of Ajijic !!

Barbara

Archived