Chapala.com Webboard

60 Minutes

RayS

Whoopee, and all they're doing just like the other news organizations is making people think it happens all over Mexico. They're scaring tourists away which is one of the most profitable industries for Mexico. Tourism is so far down in PV and other areas, deals can be had.

And you don't think lakeside is affected? Geesh, home prices and rentals dropping and an abundance of them available. It is affecting all of Mexico. I suggest you look at the other thread and read all the posts about bodies found near Jocotopec. Thankfully, most expats not affected directly but indirectly they are.

Guest Nova999999999
Whoopee, and all they're doing just like the other news organizations is making people think it happens all over Mexico. They're scaring tourists away which is one of the most profitable industries for Mexico. Tourism is so far down in PV and other areas, deals can be had.

Definitely those types of news reports are scaring away tourists. Another thing that's going to scare them away is the fact that the US is now working on putting in place a retirement visa, much like FM3 for Canadians and Europeans so that they can retire in Florida, Texas, Arizona, California without having to leave the country every three months. US Immigration is being silent on this but it is going to happen soon and it only makes sense since Americans insist on being expats and spending their Social Security dollars outside of the USA.

Ajijic - What you're talking about home prices, etc has nothing to do with the drug wars, but has everything to do with the American economy and housing situation. You talk down Mexico EVERY chance you get.

You keep saying an abundance of houses available, some 478 liostings in mls. When I bought in 2000, there were 1100 homes on the market and they're all sold. RE goes up and comes down. It's cyclical. Anyone who doesn't believe it should look at it's history.

I guess you're waiting for the housing prices to bottom just like others did in 2001, so you can buy. They waited and by the time they decided to buy, houses shot up $ 100 K. What fools they were. Good for those el cheapos.

1) Negative news sells

2) It's easy to be an expert on real estate in Mexico when you're sitting in Canada and have no real clue as to what's happening here. Could this be a one man campaign to try to depress RE prices?

Maddog - You're right about the canuck "Ajijic". I guess he hasn't looked in his own backyard, because all those WAY OVERPRICED Canadian homes are falling in price too. If you think the US had overpriced homes, check out Canada's TOTALLY RIDICULOUS RE prices.

Mad Mike mmm I just filled up at Pemex and my criticism is pricing in US$ and how it affects real estate in limiting purchasers. One has to be realistic in not thinking the bad news NOB which is seen daily is not affecting all of Mexico and especially the areas that are frequented by expats for long durations. Whether the news is true or not is not the point but rather what is being presented and the frequency which is daily. Personally, I would not be in Mexico if after weighing all options considered it best for me.

Geesh John the resident expert on anything and everything. My last Canadian sale was at 99% of list closed Feb 17, 2009. You are a riot lmao

Guest Gringal

Nova99999....

it only makes sense since Americans insist on being expats and spending their Social Security dollars outside of the USA.

What's that supposed to mean: "insist"??

Many Americans are in other countries where the cost of living is less than it is in the U.S. because they need to stretch those Social Security checks in order to survive. How about telling us whether you can live on $800 to $1200 a month in Arizona, CA or Texas? Let's be real here.

Since the subject of "poor expats" has already been beaten black and blue on another thread, I don't think we need to re-visit the matter of whether there are any poor expats around here. They are all around us.

I too live in Canada. Without exception, each time I tell someone I am looking to buy property in Mexico, the subject of crime and safety is raised. None have thought to make a distinction between Mx cities; all have simply generalized. Indeed, from a foreigner's viewpoint, bad news originating from Mx affects all of Mx, which includes Lakeside. I am not saying whether this is right or wrong; just that it is.

The price of housing in my corner of Canada parallel that of Lakeside. The trend is almost identical. Both areas have seen a doubling of property values over the past 6 years. Property values seem higher than they should be, and both areas show a gradual downward trend. IMO, both will see further decreases over the next 2 years. I do have to admit that the rate of the general economic slow-down is slower than what I had originally expected, at least around where I live.

Guest Nova999999999
Nova99999....

What's that supposed to mean: "insist"??

Many Americans are in other countries where the cost of living is less than it is in the U.S. because they need to stretch those Social Security checks in order to survive. How about telling us whether you can live on $800 to $1200 a month in Arizona, CA or Texas? Let's be real here.

Since the subject of "poor expats" has already been beaten black and blue on another thread, I don't think we need to re-visit the matter of whether there are any poor expats around here. They are all around us.

My apology, Grangal. "Insist" was the wrong word. I agree totally with you. I live outside the US myself. One cannot make it in the US on SS. And especially not if you have to drive. That's why I live in walkable Europe and before that I lived in walkable La Floresta.

We should be cheering the majority of the drug related deaths resulting from the 'wars' between the cartels. They are bad guys killing other bad guys. The unfortunate killing of a public official may or may not be something to cheer about. If they were corrupt and 'on the wrong side' then go ahead and cheer. If they were honest and attempting to take down the bad guys, then we can mourn. It is very hard to know which is which and the US media/government message is very lacking in details and analysis. As always, it seems that its purpose is to destabilize other governments for its own advantage/oil in spite of the fact that these are friendly governments, in many cases, and that the US appetite for drugs is insatiable and the major cause of the 'problem,' which the US does little to solve; like doing something to eliminate the demand. Maybe worksite and welfare drug testing would work. If positive, no more welfare, no more job other than a chain gang or work farm; cold turkey!

• 2 years later...

I too live in Canada. Without exception, each time I tell someone I am looking to buy property in Mexico, the subject of crime and safety is raised. None have thought to make a distinction between Mx cities; all have simply generalized. Indeed, from a foreigner's viewpoint, bad news originating from Mx affects all of Mx, which includes Lakeside. I am not saying whether this is right or wrong; just that it is.

The price of housing in my corner of Canada parallel that of Lakeside. The trend is almost identical. Both areas have seen a doubling of property values over the past 6 years. Property values seem higher than they should be, and both areas show a gradual downward trend. IMO, both will see further decreases over the next 2 years. I do have to admit that the rate of the general economic slow-down is slower than what I had originally expected, at least around where I live.

You don't have to leave the US to get a deal on property, Florida is the place to buy....I live in Ocala Fl ( so does John Travolta ) it's a beautiful town, known as the horse capital of the world for it's horse breeding farms.

I bought a 4 bedroom house last month that was built 4 yrs ago for $254,000 I paid the bank $70,000 for it, and I rent it out for $1500 a month, there are dozens of homes like this in Florida right now.

when you use the search function all aged thread come up, its nice to check the date of origination for the thread....because like this one they are way out of date, but not necessarily irrelevant.

What makes the reincarnation of this 2009 thread particularly hilarious (and a bit sad) is that the "newinajijic" (John, who has been banned from this board, I think) is trying to rent his house because he wants to move back NOB and can't sell the thing.

<b>Gringal - You're 100% correct. We didn't insist on living in Mexico. We couldn't make it on SS in the US.</b>

What makes the reincarnation of this 2009 thread particularly hilarious (and a bit sad) is that the "newinajijic" (John, who has been banned from this board, I think) is trying to rent his house because he wants to move back NOB and can't sell the thing.

Hilarious indeed for someone who bragged he was in best community in all of lakeside and prices would never drop and the US$ was undervalued in 2009.

Tourism is up about 20% from Canada. When the Canadian embassy staff recently visited San Miguel they were shocked at the turnout of over 200 people and next time will schedule a much larger venue.

If house prices are a major factor then certainly Florida is an option. Friend has now bought 15 homes in Ft Myers. Prices she paid are between 22K and 29K plus 1000 to 5000 for updates. None are furnished but some have appliances. Everyone is rented at rates between $600 and $1250 a month. Another friend, a property appraiser in Ft Myers, says prices are still bouncing along bottom and banks have of thousands of foreclosures to put on market in his area but stretched out over time.

On Sunday 17 April, Datline NBC. Chris Hanson joins over 100 Mexican Federal Police Officers on a mission to capture or kill a drug kingpin. This is from the program description for the new upcomming show on Sunday 17 April 2011.

<!--quoteo(post=115549:date=Feb 27 2009, 04:09 PM:name=newinajijic)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (newinajijic @ Feb 27 2009, 04:09 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=115549"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><b>Whoopee, and all they're doing just like the other news organizations is making people think it happens all over Mexico. They're scaring tourists away which is one of the most profitable industries for Mexico. Tourism is so far down in PV and other areas, deals can be had.</b><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Definitely those types of news reports are scaring away tourists. Another thing that's going to scare them away is the fact that the US is now working on putting in place a retirement visa, much like FM3 for Canadians and Europeans so that they can retire in Florida, Texas, Arizona, California without having to leave the country every three months. US Immigration is being silent on this but it is going to happen soon and it only makes sense since Americans insist on being expats and spending their Social Security dollars outside of the USA.

So, did the Canadian/European retirement visa thing ever happen? If so, I wonder if a European can get good long term health coverage in the USA. last time I checked it could only be done from the European side and to get the equivalent health plan to the more or less free coverage in Europe cost about $1400 per person. This was for 6 months coverage - maybe an annual plan is a lot cheaper?

In 2021 when the Medicare becomes a voucher system as per the Ryan plan hundreds of thousands of Americans will be moving here. No insurance company will provide insurance for seniors in their 70's and 80's so Mexico will be their only choice. Hopefully, by then the US housing crisis has ended.

Archived