Chapala.com Webboard

Drug Wars

Steves

Hi All, My wife and I are planning to move to lakeside in the next few months. While watching MSNBC this morning they ran a story about the Mexican drug wars and that it is practically a civil war situation inside of Mexico. My wife is becoming afraid to go. What is the situation at lakeside? I tried to reassure her that if your not a police officer, journalist or politican you probably don't have to be to concerned. Am I right about that? Are we putting ourselves at risk driving down? We would be crossing in Laredo. Is there any possibility of travelling with others ? Are there peple who regularly make a trip to the border and back like mail couriers? Thanks for any information you could pass on.

Auggie

Really, no reason, stop kidding yourself. Our eldest has accepted an appointment as a program director with USAID and when she asked about posting to the DF Mexico she was told that by the time her training and language skills would be ready (12 months) they expect Mexico to be considered a hardship posting where you can't take your family because of the threat of kidnapping and death. Part of the explanation given was that if the joint enforcement efforts are even remotely successful the drug cartels might find it advantagous to retaliate by terrorizing US enclaves. That would be here, San Miguel and PV. They consider several border areas "off limits, no travel zones" for their personnel. You know the government, they always know more than they tell you. Since they know we are here they told her to make sure we have an exit plan. Yep, we do. We don't feel any fear here, at all, but it doesn't mean its completely safe. No place is.

I would venture to say that there is truth to what is being reported with regards to the border and the drug cartels, however I would also say that you have to look at the "agenda" of who is doing the reporting.

The economic straits we all find ourselves in now is certainly going to push up crime all over the world, but I have lived here for 13 years and have to yet feel concerned for my safety. Our casita was broken into the 2nd year we lived here and a tv was taken, but since then nothing.

I honestly believe that no matter where one lives now that you need to reeducate yourself to becoming much more aware of your surroundings at all times for your protection, and use common sense. Like don't live in border towns, or go into areas in any city where you would not live and are know not to be safe, and protect your home and valuables.

I think that if a survey was conducted of all the expats who have lived here for some time that you would find an overwhelming positive feeling of safety today.

Auggie,

Please let your wife know there are many expats living here year round, and it's as safe here as it would be in your town where you live. If you don't use drugs, sell drugs, earn your living off others who do and/or you're not trying to fight those who do have that lifestyle, you're going to okay. We feel very safe here.

My husband and I cross at Laredo when we drive back and forth. Our suggestion is to go through customs early in the morning (like 7-8:00 am), there are fewer people in the lines and all the dealers and addicts are asleep cause they're busy in the wee hours of the morning terrorizing each other. When we have driven we spend the night on the Texas side at the La Quinta (partly cause they accept pets) and it's close to downtown where you cross the bridge into Mexico in the morning. From there you can by-pass all of downtown by going around Nuevo Laredo -- but mind the speed limits once you're in Nuevo Laredo cause the policia hang out on the road out of town heading towards Monterrey and will give tickets! This we know from experience.

It's about 700 miles from Nuevo Laredo to Ajijic. Hope you decide to still come. It's dry here now, but the temps are wonderful at this time of the year between high 50s to low 80s. Have a safe trip.

Happy in Ajijic, k2tog

I would venture to say that there is truth to what is being reported with regards to the border and the drug cartels, however I would also say that you have to look at the "agenda" of who is doing the reporting.

The economic straits we all find ourselves in now is certainly going to push up crime all over the world, but I have lived here for 13 years and have to yet feel concerned for my safety. Our casita was broken into the 2nd year we lived here and a tv was taken, but since then nothing.

I honestly believe that no matter where one lives now that you need to reeducate yourself to becoming much more aware of your surroundings at all times for your protection, and use common sense. Like don't live in border towns, or go into areas in any city where you would not live and are know not to be safe, and protect your home and valuables.

I think that if a survey was conducted of all the expats who have lived here for some time that you would find an overwhelming positive feeling of safety today.

Thank your for your thoughtful reply!

Hola Auggie,

When we crossed, we did so at the "Columbia" crossing, which is a tad north-west of the Laredo crossing, and before you get into Laredo. Its a border crossing, all by itself, and basically without border towns on either side, which to us, felt much safer. My aunt and uncle have been crossing there for years now, and they recommended it to us. Each time, we've arrived early morning. I believe it opens at 8:30am. The first time we crossed, we turned LEFT (when you reach the T in the road, after you've crossed the border) and ended up in Nuevo Laredo. The second time, we turned RIGHT, and avoided Nuevo Laredo altogether. Our GPS system was invaluable, even if it didn't have ALL the Mexican roads on it, we were able to see which general direction we were going, and/or desired to be going. One other word of advice for first time drivers: get on the highway, and stay on the highway! The directions offered by Strom-White movers in Ajijic are excellent, and we used those our first trip down, but the second trip, we'd studied the map and thought we'd found a "shortcut"...Ha Ha Ha! It was pure misery,and we'll never deviate again, well, unless we _want_ to go sightseeing :)

Best of luck to you!

Guest knownothing

Agree with most of the above posters. If you have never been to Laredo, do not cross there. It is the armpit of Texas. I would suggest the McAllen-Reynosa crossing, if that is doable for you. Much easier and McAllen and Reynosa are both safe and great cities, in contrast to Laredo and Nuevo Laredo.

Laredo may not bepretty but Highway 35 takes you to the crossing and once you find Immigration you come out of there and turn right and follow signs to Monterrey. Now that I have crossed at Laredo I see little difference in timing or effort using either crossing. Laredo does shorten the trip slightly and has money exchange available.

Hola Auggie,

When we crossed, we did so at the "Columbia" crossing, which is a tad north-west of the Laredo crossing, and before you get into Laredo. Its a border crossing, all by itself, and basically without border towns on either side, which to us, felt much safer. My aunt and uncle have been crossing there for years now, and they recommended it to us. Each time, we've arrived early morning. I believe it opens at 8:30am. The first time we crossed, we turned LEFT (when you reach the T in the road, after you've crossed the border) and ended up in Nuevo Laredo. The second time, we turned RIGHT, and avoided Nuevo Laredo altogether. Our GPS system was invaluable, even if it didn't have ALL the Mexican roads on it, we were able to see which general direction we were going, and/or desired to be going. One other word of advice for first time drivers: get on the highway, and stay on the highway! The directions offered by Strom-White movers in Ajijic are excellent, and we used those our first trip down, but the second trip, we'd studied the map and thought we'd found a "shortcut"...Ha Ha Ha! It was pure misery,and we'll never deviate again, well, unless we _want_ to go sightseeing :)

Best of luck to you!

Thank you so much for your reply, that's extemely usefull information for us!

I have lived here a good number of years here and never felt afraid. Until recently we were not anywhere near the narco action. That seems to be changing. Although Jalisco, our state, had been immune until now there was a shootout in one of the Jalisco towns a week ago, though not near here. Bodies have recently been dumped not very far from the Lakeside area.

There was a drive by shooting here at the lake a couple of months back. We were told it was a private matter but the caliber of weaponry makes that scenario questionable. That type of violence is pretty much unknown in this area. Most of our crime is burglaries and non violent.

At present our lives are very much unaffected by what is happening in the narco wars but no one can guarantee anything. About 10 years ago or so Guadalajara was the center for narco families. The city and state governments decided this was not a good thing and uprooted them. That is what is saving this state from being the center of much of the action that is hurting two of our neighboring states.

As to what was said by a previous poster about the potential for kidnappings of Americans, I doubt the cartel leaders are that stupid. They have recently moved into the US and are already being gathered up. If they got heavily into going after US citizens I think the US governement would gear up to smash the cartels and pay much more interest to them as they are now doing with the advent of the US being drawn into the cartel drug trade.

One additional piece of advice I would add is to stay on the toll roads from Laredo to Ajijic. They are safe, well maintained and relatively free of traffic. I would recommend crossing at Laredo OR the Columbia bridge. As a previous post stated, leave from Laredo early in the morning. I do not recommend driving at night because the roads aren't lit and sometimes you'll encounter a cow or horse.

It takes about 12 hours to drive from Laredo to Ajijic going the speed limit. The roads are well marked. As previously stated, also, go to the Strom White Moving company web site and get driving directions. They are excellent.

You'll find people friendly and more than willing to help. I would recommend that you learn Spanish. The local people really appreciate that we try to communicate with them in their language. This is a wonderful place to live. The drug wars are between the police and the drug cartels. They aren't interested in the gringos!

Archived