Chapala.com Webboard

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Xkanuck

Lake Chapala Outlet

The inlet is the Lerma River and we'll take all we can get.

The outlet is the Santiago River and it hasn't had any drain off from the lake in 40 years.

Thanks for the info. I was here June/July 2008 and the lake has risen considerably since then. My concern is whether the property I'm considering buying may be submerged by next seasons rainfall. Do you happen to know roughly how much higher the lake would have to be to begin draining into the Santiago?

Hiker

My best guess would be about two meters higher. The lake is, I think, only about 75% full. Lakefront can have many disadvantages beyond flooding, and there will be some of that if the lake gets higher. Folks have had a way of building in low lying areas while the lake was low for many years. As such, many may be in for some surprises. Other considerations are poor sewage disposal, odors, insects, etc. Choose carefully and wisely and get lots of advice from potential neighbors, people with many years at Lake Chapala and others not in the real estate business.

The next two years will be very telling for lake levels and flooding. I agree with RV, 2 to 3 meters from where it is now is a possibility as the good rainy years it raises 2 meters or more and in the dry season it goes down 1 meter and it has gone down a bit from the rains and has another meter to go. I'm not worried where I live and also have a kayak in case I need to paddle around.

Lake Chapala Outlet...hmph.

I thought the thread was about a new mall. I'm glad it's not.