Chapala.com Webboard

French Fries

mhn237

Guest Willard
Posting people's private info such as this doesn't get anymore chickenshit. No wonder you haven't called.

LOLOLOLOL- - -sometimes in life ya get what ya pay for and sometimes ya get what ya deserve

Good grief people, I only asked where to find some good french fries and got some recommendations, which I appreciate .... now it has deteriorated into THIS NONSENSE !! How ridiculous !! Grow up and Move on !!

And you're right and I really do apologize to all for my childish behavior. Honestly. but holy crap some stuff is just too hard to resist.

Why do so many posters on this board make such ignorant statements? In our house we have always double fried potatoes. First "sancochar" and then "dorar". And it is better to let the spuds cool after the first step.

And if you want really crispy papas a la francesa in a restaurant, ask for them 'bien doradas' and you'll get'em nice and crunchy.

Of course, first you have to learn how to pronounce both papas a la francesa and bien doradas, but you can do it, I know you can.

Guest SallyAnne

Another hilarious 'chinese telephone' thread ... where one person misreads what someone says, goes on a tangent about what they 'think' they read, then the OP tries to explain AGAIN what they said, only to be misunderstood AGAIN and so on and so on and so on .....

Someone asked me yesterday: Why do you even bother hanging around chapala.com ??? and I replied because it makes me laugh, or roll my eyes or whatever.

Lolo: for the record, I thought your initial point was very clear, and as such, it was accurate; your attempt to 're-explain it' was very well done .... but obviously a waste of time. Do NOT be fooled though; just because this is a text based forum, doesn't mean that everyone who participates can read.

For those who misunderstood: Lolo was not saying that it was ignorant to NOT KNOW how to make fries (sheesssshhhh) she was addressing the comment about Mexico. Is there a prize here for being deliberately dense???

As to french fries: there are many factors in making good french fries. Potato variety is one of them. Two-step cooking is also important, as mentionned above. Another factor is that they should be very COLD when put into very HOT oil (frozen is perfect) .... many restaurants just don't get the oil hot enough, so they end up more boiled in oil than fried, resulting in limp/greasy fries.

The most basic secret of Mcdonald's fries is that they salt them immediately out of the fryer, btw.

Please someone 'kill' this thread. Where to 'find' good fries has turned into a lecture on how to 'make' fries.

Like asking someone for the time, and they tell you how to build a watch!!!

Well, of course, the best french fries (known as "pommes frites") are made in Belgium where french fries are the national dish. They are also excellent in France. If you simply desire french fries the best in France are available on Paris´ bohemian Left Bank where hot fries are sold out of what we in Los Angeles in the 80s would have called "roach coaches". Anything made in North America whether in Toronto or Guadalajara, is a poor imitation with the possible exception of the Union Street bistro in San Francisco known as "Entrecote" which makes french fries that are sublime. In France, incidentally, french fries are cooked twice. Once at 150 Degrees for a few minutes and, after cooling and just before serving, again at 190 Degrees.

Perhaps the best and most popular bistro luncheon food in France is "steak pommes frites". You pan fry a thin and somewhat chewy but outstandingly tasty thin "entrecote" beefsteak cut and serve it with pommes frites and bearnaise sauce on the side. This is served with bread (no butter) and a glass of red wine followed by a simple green salad and a piece of french cheese. The meal is typically finished off with an espresso and, if you are in a festive mood, perhaps a brandy.

The most popular dish with french fries in Belgium is mussels with fries which is a wildly popular dish and served in countless restaurants and for luncheon on a day at the beach.

I´ve lived in Mexico for eight years now and never once tasted a decent french fry in this country. Thank God we´re headed for Paris this spring where "steak pommes frites" with that outstanding bearnaise is definitely on my menu.

And if you want really crispy papas a la francesa in a restaurant, ask for them 'bien doradas' and you'll get'em nice and crunchy.

Of course, first you have to learn how to pronounce both papas a la francesa and bien doradas, but you can do it, I know you can.

Who is "you" ?

Archived