Chapala.com Webboard

French Fries

mhn237

Since I've been here I haven't found any good French Fries and I'm really craving some.

Not a meal, not coated with anything, not curly (I know, not healthy either) - just a nice big plate of delicious fries.

Any recommendations on where I could find some?

Guest knownothing

These places are all OK. 60's has the best IMO, but the portion is small. Go to WalMart, buy yourself a deep fryer and eat french fries forever.

Thanks everyone. I'll be trying the places where I haven't already been.

Peter: I've had Fish&Chips from MaGaNa many times, but I think he uses maybe McCain's frozen chips - not great, but do in a pinch.

Ajijic: LOL, that brought back memories. More times than I can count, supper came from the fish & chip truck outside Stroud Arena in Ontario, absolutely delicious! I don't think I've ever had fries from a chip truck that weren't great. Sorry I never got out to Sandra's place.

Guest ductape
Thanks everyone. I'll be trying the places where I haven't already been.

Peter: I've had Fish&Chips from MaGaNa many times, but I think he uses maybe McCain's frozen chips - not great, but do in a pinch.

Ajijic: LOL, that brought back memories. More times than I can count, supper came from the fish & chip truck outside Stroud Arena in Ontario, absolutely delicious! I don't think I've ever had fries from a chip truck that weren't great. Sorry I never got out to Sandra's place.

Chip truck fries are always/usually "double fried" in Canada.

(one to sweat, one to crisp)

In the US most fries are done this way, there just learning that here. :D

Why do so many posters on this board make such ignorant statements? In our house we have always double fried potatoes. First "sancochar" and then "dorar". And it is better to let the spuds cool after the first step.

Guest Willard
Why do so many posters on this board make such ignorant statements? In our house we have always double fried potatoes. First "sancochar" and then "dorar". And it is better to let the spuds cool after the first step.

I don't think it's such an ignorant statement- - -I didn't know that that's how good fries are done. I learned something new.

(but then Lolo IS one of the name callers)

Guest ductape
I don't think it's such an ignorant statement- - -I didn't know that that's how good fries are done. I learned something new.

(but then Lolo IS one of the name callers)

So what do you call the state you were in, before you learned [sic] something new?

Your problem might be the potatoes as well..

A few years ago there was an article in the newspaper " blasting " the local government for them taking part in a potato industry in Saskatchewan... Critics sited a report that said " because of limited growing season here, potatos didn't have required starch/sugar levels "

:017: WHO KNEW As a result, potatoes grown in Saskatchewan turn Brown or Black when fried.

The powers that be ignored this little fact and continued to invest millions....

It problem might be the potatoes as well..

A few years ago there was an article in the newspaper " blasting " the local government for them taking part in a potato industry in Saskatchewan... Critics sited a report that said " because of limited growing season here, potatos grown here didn't have required starch/sugar levels "

:017: WHO KNEW As a result, potatoes grown in Saskatchewan turn Brown or Black when fried.

The powers that be ignored this little fact and continued to invest millions....

Bingo! Here, if one wants good fried potatoes, you must ask for "papas para dorar" or sometimes "papa dore". If one visits the wholesale wharehouses in Guadalajara's Mercado de Abastos, one section is potato wholesalers and they sell them as such.

You can tell soon after the spuds hit the hot oil if you have the right ones. The edges of the wrong ones quickly turn red.

For Willard: most people on this board have at best a superficial understanding of the Mexican culture and society. And they make many generalizations that are ignorant. If pointing out that ignorance makes me a name caller then you prove my point.

Lolo, the not so ignorant name caller.

I believe when one has to explain this to everyone it may be questionable. Just because you do something doesn’t mean the majority does and yes also the potatoes make a difference.

BTW my reference could have been clearer, I was thinking about restaurants in general.

Guest Willard
So what do you call the state you were in, before you learned [sic] something new?

Idaho

For Willard: most people on this board have at best a superficial understanding of the Mexican culture and society. And they make many generalizations that are ignorant. If pointing out that ignorance makes me a name caller then you prove my point.

Here's my barometer for name calling: lets say we were at a cocktail party. And we were having this silly french fries discussion. And you were standing in front of me talking in your not so ignorantmanner expounding on your knowledge of how to do french fries properly. And I said that I didn't know that's how they were done. YOU'D NEVER HAVE THE STONES TO CALL ME IGNORANT TO MY FACE. NEVER. So coming on here and saying Why do so many posters on this board make such ignorant statements?is, to me calling many of us ignorant.

And what french fries and how they're cooked has to do with Mexican culture is waaaaaaayyyyyy beyond me.

Idaho

Here's my barometer for name calling: lets say we were at a cocktail party. And we were having this silly french fries discussion. And you were standing in front of me talking in your not so ignorantmanner expounding on your knowledge of how to do french fries properly. And I said that I didn't know that's how they were done. YOU'D NEVER HAVE THE STONES TO CALL ME IGNORANT TO MY FACE. NEVER. So coming on here and saying Why do so many posters on this board make such ignorant statements?is, to me calling many of us ignorant.

And what french fries and how they're cooked has to do with Mexican culture is waaaaaaayyyyyy beyond me.

The ignorant statement that the other poster made was "there(sic) just learning that down here". People like her always have to generalize about what people here know or don't know, do or don't do. They have some stupid need to make these comparisons. It is obvious that many people every where are just learning this but she has to limit this ignorance to Mexico.

If you would like to meet me so I call you ignorant in person I'll gladly give you my cel number and we can arrange a meet.

The ignorant statement that the other poster made was "there(sic) just learning that down here". People like her always have to generalize about what people here know or don't know, do or don't do. They have some stupid need to make these comparisons. It is obvious that many people every where are just learning this but she has to limit this ignorance to Mexico.

If you would like to meet me so I call you ignorant in person I'll gladly give you my cel number and we can arrange a meet.

I do believe we were talking about finding typical US French Fries in Mexico. I believe you are always searching for something to get angry about, why? Does this make you happier?

Just because some people enjoy doing things differently and you make a comment the intent is not offensive. Most Mexican restaurants, from my experience, seem to serve fried meats rarer than in the US, this is my opinion? There will always be generalization most are not intended to offend, but to give an opinion. I do believe you just want to be argumentative.

If I said most Mexicans are beautiful people (still generalizing) I doubt you would be so up-set?

Also, what is wrong if one wants to cook their fries just a little? It’s about personal tastes.

Guest Willard

[quote name='Lolo' date='Jan 25 2009, 12:38 PM' post='109942'

This should be wildly amusing. How about u tell me why you're going to call me ignorant (he said as he continued baiting).

And please do give me your cell number (remember boys and girls- - -he volunteered and we all know the world of amusement loves a good volunteer)

Guest Willard
It is in your inbox sweetheart.

331 115 9234

Now all you have to figure out is how to dial it, moron.

Now if this person hadn't called me a moron (a term I reserve only for those who truly know me) I wouldn't have put his cell # on here for all to get/call/abuse etc. So the next time he calls you names, tells you to go home etc. - - - - well, just give him or her a call.

PS- - -u didn't tell me (all of us) why you feel that I'm ignorant or a moron. Inquiring minds really do want to know.

Archived