Chapala.com Webboard

Early Bird Cafe

Maddogpir3

Guest Willard
Mexican prices, yes. Because we live in Mexico and prices should be calculated according to the expenses, etc.

Waffle House has no competition and, just like Super Lake, serves a clientele that is willing to pay NOB prices for what they cannot get somewhere else.

Everybody can go into business and charge what they want and everybody can eat there if they want (I'm not dictating otherwise). What I was saying was that those places with their NOB prices are not necessarily the best places.

I was not aiming the restaurants you mentioned but Early Bird where the prices (that I was quoted) were way out of reasonable range comparing to many other breakfast places. You distorted my remarks.

What about paying for quality that is lower than what you can afford? Nothing wrong with that. Why should we patronize those places where they charge more for less and for nothing special? I have a few places in mind.

Patronize lousy quality was not in my comments. You misread my post. Breakfast was the subject.

You did not comment about restaurants in Guad comparing to restaurants at Lakeside.

Prices should be calculated according to expenses? I don't understand what that means.

Waffle House has no competition? You can get anything they serve pretty much most breakfast places. But places like the Early Bird have better food.

And if you haven't been to the place and are relying on simply that you were quoted prices that you think are high, then you're not speaking from first hand

are you. How about maybe you try the place and THEN judge whether the prices are reasonable or not based on what you get for the $$$.

You mention places here that charge NOB prices- - - -I don't think you can get xceptional quality eggs benedict for $5-6USD even at sucky Dennys. Commenting on Guadalajara prices is, for me, similar to comparing lakeside prices to NOB prices. Who's crazy enough to fly to Dallas for a good breakfast? And who's crazy enough to drive 40+ mile to Guadalajara with traffic, smog etc? So how are Guadalajara prices germane to what happens here?

I'm certainly not trying to distort your remarks but your remarks don't seem to make much sense to me.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You want NOB prices? Here in SE WA. Typical breakfast, Ham and eggs, hash browns and toast, $8.95 +$1.75 for coffee. Tax 8.3% tip 15%. You get breakfast for two at $24 US out the door. This is at a mom and pop diner (good food) incidentally. Go to a chain, Denny's as an example and get indifferent food and service for the same price.

Can't wait to overpay at 65/85pesos for eggs benedict, ($140mxn here NOB). Hurry up April.

Last two posts.... excellent. Some need to get real and realize the bargain it is to live in Mexico and be happy to be there and sunshine and healthy.

Ok, We just came home from breakfast out. Total price was 95 pesos with tip.

1.Sausage patty, two eggs, toast, home fried potatoes, endless coffee.

2.One egg, biscuit, ham, endless coffee & ice water.

At 14/1 exchange, for you NoB folks, that's $6.79 total for two people having breakfast in Chapala at the American Legion; about 28% of the price quoted above by elnvee.

Ok, We just came home from breakfast out. Total price was 95 pesos with tip.

1.Sausage patty, two eggs, toast, home fried potatoes, endless coffee.

2.One egg, biscuit, ham, endless coffee & ice water.

At 14/1 exchange, for you NoB folks, that's $6.79 total for two people having breakfast in Chapala at the American Legion; about 28% of the price quoted above by elnvee.

Good breakfast at Mexican prices. I believe that it is exceptionally cheap. Any other restaurants could still be charging 25% more and I'd consider it reasonable but double and triple than that, they should be out of business.

My point is made. Thanks RVGringo.

Guest Willard

Koko- - -you've not been to the Early Bird. And yet you're critical of prices. That's like reviewing a movie that you haven't seen.

I'll tell ya what I'll do- - - -I'll go leave 100 pesos with Rick, the owner. I'll leave it in your name (Koko). You and your wife/sig other go and have breakfast and if you don't like it and think it's a bad deal then the hundred is for you. The only catch is that Rick will know what the hundred is for and you'll have to ask him for the money after you're done.

How can you lose

Save you money Mrsmart. I will try it out when I'm good and ready and on my own tab. I am not cheap, I can pay but I'll never return to a place where it is clearly abusive with the price, like the original post mentioned. That's how this whole argument started. And I was not surprised because I have been paying between $100 and $120 pesos for ONE breakfast at different places without tips.

Is the Legion open for breakfast every day, including weekends?

The American Legion [Chapala Post #7] is open for breakfast and lunch Monday through Saturday. On Sunday's, because the employees are off, the outside grill is open for hamburgers, hotdogs, etc. from noon untill three. The bar is open every day from noon until 8 pm with Happy Hour [2-4-1] from 4 pm until six.

There are many special event during the month with low cost meals and entertainment. These events are generally listed about two weeks prior in the Guadalajara Reporter in Jeanne Chaussee's column or posted on the community bulletin boards such as LCS. The Legion is also beginning to post here.

Prices at the Legion are delebritely kept low since so many people on limited income get their only hot meal of the day there.

Remember the Legion welcomes all even those who are not members. All are made to feel welcome.

All profits from the resturant, bar, and events are used to support local community charities are activities.

Guest Willard
Save you money Mrsmart. I will try it out when I'm good and ready and on my own tab. I am not cheap, I can pay but I'll never return to a place where it is clearly abusive with the price, like the original post mentioned. That's how this whole argument started. And I was not surprised because I have been paying between $100 and $120 pesos for ONE breakfast at different places without tips.

I'm sorry to ruin your rampant speculation but I'm not, nor have I ever been Mrsmart or even Mrsmarty. And I never inferred that you were cheap. I was simply trying to offer you an incentive to try something new since many are concerned about trying new things. I've read the OP three times and I can't find anything in it that says that the place is abusive with the price. I didn't know there was an argument but thanks for telling me. And by golly if you've been paying 100 to 120 pesos for once person for breakfast at other places then you're a stepper!! And hopefully you tip well.

Now, you can comment some more but this thread has become boring and redundant sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Bye

Guest mrsmarty

I didn't make the offer, Willard did.

Guest RevImmigrant

Just as a basis for comparison, the Ibis Hotels are now charging extra for breakfast. Traditionally, hotels included breakfast in the price of the room over here. They are charging 9 Euros (about $11.80) for German breakfast, which includes ham, sausages, salami, cheese (basically cold cuts), bread, fruits, juices, coffee and tea and hardboiled eggs. I don't eat breakfast and always take my coffee pot with me since I want coffee as soon as I get up and don't want to wait until after I'm dressed, so I don't care. This is how they do it here and you can compare the price with what you get there for American breakfast. As you can see, the food's totally different too.

Have coffee pot, will travel!

Hijacking the local interest as to cost of a "good" breakfast, I was surprised to read the "low" cost of Dennys breakfast. May not be everyone's choice but a choice never the less.Also their promotion for the super bowl.

"""Denny's restaurants across the country gave a "Grand Slam" breakfast to everyone who wanted one from 6 a.m. until 2 p.m. -- and in some cases longer. The "Grand Slam," consisting of two pancakes, two eggs, two strips of bacon and two sausage links, normally sells for $5.99."""

Hijacking the local interest as to cost of a "good" breakfast, I was surprised to read the "low" cost of Dennys breakfast. May not be everyone's choice but a choice never the less.Also their promotion for the super bowl.

"""Denny's restaurants across the country gave a "Grand Slam" breakfast to everyone who wanted one from 6 a.m. until 2 p.m. -- and in some cases longer. The "Grand Slam," consisting of two pancakes, two eggs, two strips of bacon and two sausage links, normally sells for $5.99."""

Two eggs any style, two insipid sausages, two slices of bacon, two pancakes, all the imitation maple syrup you want to pour over this "feast" and constant refills of weak American style sock juice posing as coffee: $5.99US.

Three Bloody Marys with double shots of premium vodka needed to grease the skids and whet the appetite before consuming this Midwesterner rustic´s regional delight: $30US.

Total cost of resultant coronary event: $45,000US.

Beware of fry cooks bearing gifts.

Every self-respecting Southerner knows you need to substitute a slice of pan fried country ham for the bacon and add a good serving of stone ground enriched grits with red eye gravy to help work this wad of cholesteral laden junk food through the system or even better still, forget this disaster and enjoy a croissant along with a couple of espressos followed by a couple of shots of Calvados in the mode of the Parisian before venturing outside into the cold winter morning light and taking a quick nap on the metro on your way to work. Or even better still, wait for 10:00AM as in Mexico and enjoy a complete feast of Mexican style breakfast treats which would never set you back the outrageous equivalent of $5.99US unless you were stopping off at the local Camino Real on a lark.

Two eggs any style, two insipid sausages, two slices of bacon, two pancakes, all the imitation maple syrup you want to pour over this "feast" and constant refills of weak American style sock juice posing as coffee: $5.99US.

Three Bloody Marys with double shots of premium vodka needed to grease the skids and whet the appetite before consuming this Midwesterner rustic´s regional delight: $30US.

Total cost of resultant coronary event: $45,000US.

Beware of fry cooks bearing gifts.

Gosh, I'm so glad to see that you survived your recent bout with the Man with the Sickle. I've been missing you a lot.

Guest Gringal

Ditto, dawg, on "dancing with Catrina". It can wait. Long as possible.

Denny's breakfast is what you do.....when all else fails. You don't do it on purpose. All night travelers do it. Those without a home to go to do it. Alas, poor souls.

However, in Denny's defense, they do a mean hot fudge sundae. Or at least, they used to.

Gosh, I'm so glad to see that you survived your recent bout with the Man with the Sickle. I've been missing you a lot.

Thank you, More Liana and Gringal:

As you can see, since that death defying minuet with the Grim Reaper, my temporary reprieve and the subsequent loss of my gall bladder and some fifty pounds of superfluous DAWG what had attached hissef to my midsection, I have become a righteous consumer of oatmeal and Special K along with unspiked apple juice in place of Herradura Blanco straight shots with sangrita and Cheese Whoppers with extra mayo, onions and pickles chased by raspberry jelly donuts at Dunkin Donuts. Why The Dawg has become such a straight shooter (of necessity) that I´m considering buying a van to pick up holy roller Presbyterian missionaries at the Tuxtla airport to transport to unrepentant Roman Catholic indigenous villages in the Chiapas Highlands all the while singing hymns of praise to Yahweh and converting those heathens to the true cross but, on the other hand, as you know, my better half is a Roman Catholic so maybe I should set my sights elsewhere if you get my drift. Anyway, my new found righteousness brought on by my temporary inability to digest foodstuffs I formerly worshipped, may not fully survive a recovered Dawg´s other self once that other self has re-bloomed so I´d better not make any rash moves that might ingratiate me to a bunch of missionaries that that other dawg cannot abide and who might come knocking on my door seeking a ride back to the airport when that other dawg is transcendent and in a foul mood at his more self-effacing manifestation for having made mock friends with the enemy out of a sense of expediency.

We must get together when we return to Jaliso this summer - God willing.

Having "been there and done that" I know how good you must feel to be 'back', even though you left a significant part of yourself behind; that which was mostly in front, I believe.

Welcome back, Bubba!

Having "been there and done that" I know how good you must feel to be 'back', even though you left a significant part of yourself behind; that which was mostly in front, I believe.

Welcome back, Bubba!

Ah, yes. The infamous "mini-me". not gone but greatly diminished. After I carried that sumbitch around and kept him well fed for all those years, he tried to kill me and dam-n near succeeded. He still lurks beneath and in front of my belt rhreatening a return to his former status. As Rush Limbaugh said many years ago when he was still funny and not taking himself too seriously, "When I sit down, a substantial part of me sits down in front of the rest of me." Well, The Dawg is smaller and way too serious at present but pleased still to be here - hold that "Grand Slam" breakfast, please and Pass the Special K.

Ah, yes. The infamous "mini-me". not gone but greatly diminished. After I carried that sumbitch around and kept him well fed for all those years, he tried to kill me and dam-n near succeeded. He still lurks beneath and in front of my belt rhreatening a return to his former status. As Rush Limbaugh said many years ago when he was still funny and not taking himself too seriously, "When I sit down, a substantial part of me sits down in front of the rest of me." Well, The Dawg is smaller and way too serious at present but pleased still to be here - hold that "Grand Slam" breakfast, please and Pass the Special K.

Just let us know when you are back in the vicinity of Sumplandia and we will get whatever of you is left over here to our little pea patch for non-fat carnitas.

Just let us know when you are back in the vicinity of Sumplandia and we will get whatever of you is left over here to our little pea patch for non-fat carnitas.

Non-fat carnitas.

What a concept for a simple country boy raised on fatty barbequed pork butt Alabama style BBQ sandwiches who then moved on to France where he discovered the joys of rillettes and foie gras and aioli and fine French soft ripened cheeses to die for and bearnaise sauce with entrecote and pommes frites and all of this served with the freshest French bread and the finest red wine and............

DOWN, MINI ME, DOWN, BOY!!!!! STAY!!!!

Boy, that was a close call.

The Dawg looks forward to our anticipated pea patch visit in Peoria Upon Sump this summer despite the proposed menu.

I recently had the biscuits and sausage gravy. While I defended the pricing of their Eggs Benedict (assuming that the Hollandaise was real), the biscuits and gravy at 60+ pesos was too expensive—the more so as the gravy was not to my liking, as it was not cream gravy (as I would expect in the south and Midwest). A much better buy at David’s where the same dish is served with cream gravy and is half the price, or at Mom’s where the biscuits are quite a bit better, the gravy is cream and you get more than a single slice of orange to go along with the biscuits and gravy.

I recently had the biscuits and sausage gravy. While I defended the pricing of their Eggs Benedict (assuming that the Hollandaise was real), the biscuits and gravy at 60+ pesos was too expensive—the more so as the gravy was not to my liking, as it was not cream gravy (as I would expect in the south and Midwest). A much better buy at David’s where the same dish is served with cream gravy and is half the price, or at Mom’s where the biscuits are quite a bit better, the gravy is cream and you get more than a single slice of orange to go along with the biscuits and gravy.

Archived