Chapala.com Webboard

Early Bird Cafe

Maddogpir3

For those of you attending the "onslaught" today at the Early Bird I would like to thank you and, more importantly, apologize.

During the week we've been serving 40-55 people pretty much without a problem. We anticipated being "busier" today but, in no way, were we prepared for the over 120 people that came through our door!

Many of you know me from my previous restaurant, 60's in Paradise and know how I feel about customer service. Today was a horrible display of our most important product. As i'm writing this, we are working to correct the problem.

I hope many of you will give us a second chance and we will make it up to you. For those that choose not to, which I fully understand, please accept my sincere apologies.

Rick and Heidi

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
For those of you attending the "onslaught" today at the Early Bird I would like to thank you and, more importantly, apologize.

During the week we've been serving 40-55 people pretty much without a problem. We anticipated being "busier" today but, in no way, were we prepared for the over 120 people that came through our door!

Many of you know me from my previous restaurant, 60's in Paradise and know how I feel about customer service. Today was a horrible display of our most important product. As i'm writing this, we are working to correct the problem.

I hope many of you will give us a second chance and we will make it up to you. For those that choose not to, which I fully understand, please accept my sincere apologies.

Rick and Heidi

Not to worry, your reputation will serve you well. Haven't been to your place, but plan on inviting guest to join me too.

Rick and Heidi

Good luck on your new adventure. I, for one, would rather pay for quality, no matter what it is. I don't have a lot of bucks but put them where I damn well pease. See you!

An earlier poster states that Min Wah's Hollandaise is not the real thing

Considering their Chinese food is inauthentic and about as far from real chinese food as one can serve, I would be surprised if they could make an authentic Hollandaise with its roots in Europe. In fact, there is not even one remotely authentic Chinese restaurant at or near lakeside.

Min Wah is to Chinese food as Mexican sushi (an utter disgrace) is to real sushi. In oher words - no connection.

Guest Gringal
Min Wah's Hollandaise is not the real thing.

Considering their Chinese food I would be surprise if they could make Hollandaise.

It probably comes in a jar or can labeled (or libeled) Hollandaise.

Haven't tried it and don't intend to. :ph34r:

Okay people. Let’s put things into perspective here.

When we talk prices in Mexico, it should not be based or compared with prices NOB. Why? Because in Mexico (Lakeside anyway) salaries are lower, rents are lower, product prices are lower, so is the decor. There is no restaurant called the RITZ around here where the charge is to run the place more than for the food itself. Then can you tell me why breakfasts in a family type restaurant (compare oranges with oranges) should cost the same here as NOB?

Some restaurants serve an excellent breakfast at Mexican prices, why should another restaurant charge NOB prices? It should not cost more because a restaurant cooks well. If they cannot make a good breakfast, they should not be in business. This should have nothing to do with prices. The price is not always a guarantee of good food.

And it has absolutely nothing to do with being cheap. It is a matter of principle and self respect (not being abused because it is assumed that you have more money than Mexicans). The higher priced restaurants are usually run by Americans or Canadians who know they can get away with charging more. Most Mexican-run restaurants have Mexican prices. But they might learn fast and reconsider their prices if their neighbors get away with charging more.

I have been to a few good restaurants in Guad for $60 pesos (full plate and all). Why should Lakeside be any different or more?

So you're saying if I pay any more than 40p for breakfast I have bad principles and no self-respect? That's ridiculous. And if I tip above 10% here I'm spoiling "them", right? It will screw up the local economy. Don't pay the maid more than the cheapest bastard in town. They'll demand higher wages from next guy (Good, they deserve it!)

When in Rome, do as the Romans, right? Well there are many types of Romans, which one are you?

Then eat at home in your "Mexican"-styled house that looks nothing like local Mexican homes with your brand-new Mabe appliances and a full tank of gas, fresh paint, stained-glass windows, decorative railings, pressurized and filtered water, a washer AND a dryer, and ADT security system. Unless you need to go out and eat at Tango. because they have great steak. Carina and I play a game all time - it's called Spot-The-Gringo-House in town. You can almost always tell if it's owned by a Mexican or NOB.

Ask your maid if she's ever been in an elevator, gone up/down escalators, or eaten filet mignon, turkey, or at Tony's. You want to "be like them" but not really.

Get over yourselves. You preach about being "one" with the local population, but really have no intention of living like them unless it's convenient.

"SUPPORT LOCAL VENDORS" was the mantra 2 months ago but, as it turned out, the fine print said "Only when convenient".

I'm not Mexican, I don't act like one nor do I preach like I do. I grew up in a white, middle-class suburb of Washington, DC and can't hide it to save my life. But I l have "walked in their shoes". And no, I didn't like it. I never want to do it again but one never knows what's around the corner in life. Try doing the wash how we did it in SMA; take a load of clothes to the roof when the temperature gets above 7º C with a bucket of hot water to mix with the cold water in the base of the scrubbing board, and scrub away. Then dry the clothes on the clothesline for 3 days. Borrow an iron from the neighbor to finish.

A lot of you have been in that situation when you were young. Don't forget it, and enjoy what you've earned. Even if it means spending it on a 120p breakfast once in a while.

Learn what empathy means.

There's my rant. Flame away.

Chris

Guest Gringal

Although I have to agree with much of what you've said about Gringo attitudes, there is also a wide swath of "reverse snobbery" in that post. I've seen that enough times in this and other countries to recognize it for what it is.

Many of us have had the "opportunity" to live less comfortable lives at some point and profoundly appreciate the benefits of living well. I doubt there are many here who are not aware of the more difficult lives our Mexican neighbors lead. We don't need to do the laundry the hard way to figure that out.

The cheapskates are another matter. They should be ashamed of themselves.

End of counter-rant.

Guest SallyAnne
Carina and I play a game all time - it's called Spot-The-Gringo-House in town. You can almost always tell if it's owned by a Mexican or NOB.

OK so if I want to play this 'fun game' how do I find out if I was 'right' or 'wrong' ??? Do you stand by the door until the resident comes out? Do you go ring the bell to confirm 'gringo' or 'mexican' ....... or do you just take your guess, then congratulate yourself on being 'right' on your guess without any sort of confirmation? :huh:

Help me out here please. What are the 'clues' you look for to identify a non-gringo house??? :huh:

This reminds me of the other game: I-Can-Pick-a-Tourist-a-Mile-Away! Sure, you can pick out 'some' of them, but then .... if you don't ask everyone you encounter, how do you know if you might have 'missed one' ????

I wish I was clairvoyant, like so many other people seem to be! ;)

When in Rome, do as the Romans, right? Well there are many types of Romans, which one are you?

I don't understand your reaction. Does your post have to do with restaurantt prices?

Your quote 'Rome and the Romans': That's what the previous post Koko has been saying. We should encourage restaurants with Mexican prices and not NOB prices because they over do it for what the economy is at Lakeside. The high prices come from restaurants run by Americans or Candians, koko has a point. I don't think that we are taking anything away from Mexican people by accepting to pay their prices for our breakfast. Where do Mexican from Lakeside go and eat. I have eaten out with some Mexican friends of mine. They know where to eat at a reasonable price. They would not pay what foreginers pay. Unless they are from Guad with a big job.

Did you reply to Koko or RVGringo as Gringal seems to think. I'm confused here.

Good luck with your chip on your shoulder Man!!

So you're saying if I pay any more than 40p for breakfast I have bad principles and no self-respect? That's ridiculous. And if I tip above 10% here I'm spoiling "them", right? It will screw up the local economy.

Ooooo! I suppose that is addressed to me. I'll answer part of it.

I am saying that if you pay (or anyone else pays) more than you should for breakfast following what I have stated above, then you are being abused because it is assumed that you have more money than Mexicans and American/Canadian owned restaurants know that the foreigner will pay.

If you want to give a big, big , big tip to the waiters and spoil them as you say, go ahead, but that is not the subject here. We are talking about the owner of the restaurant taking advantage of the NOB clientele. The waiter or waitress do not make those prices, the owner does.

I have a solution: go to a restaurant which has reasonable prices and give the difference to the waiter. Hey! How about that?

It think you are very confused and did not understand my post.

Guest Gringal
I don't understand your reaction. Does your post have to do with restaurantt prices?

Your quote 'Rome and the Romans': That's what the previous post Koko has been saying. We should encourage restaurants with Mexican prices and not NOB prices because they over do it for what the economy is at Lakeside. The high prices come from restaurants run by Americans or Candians, koko has a point. I don't think that we are taking anything away from Mexican people by accepting to pay their prices for our breakfast. Where do Mexican from Lakeside go and eat. I have eaten out with some Mexican friends of mine. They know where to eat at a reasonable price. They would not pay what foreginers pay. Unless they are from Guad with a big job.

I have no idea who's replying to whom here.

If people are okay with paying NOB prices....fine. If not, there are plenty of other places that charge less. Pick your pleasure. And tip decently, no matter where you eat.

OK so if I want to play this 'fun game' how do I find out if I was 'right' or 'wrong' ??? Do you stand by the door until the resident comes out? Do you go ring the bell to confirm 'gringo' or 'mexican' ....... or do you just take your guess, then congratulate yourself on being 'right' on your guess without any sort of confirmation? :huh:

Help me out here please. What are the 'clues' you look for to identify a non-gringo house??? :huh:

This reminds me of the other game: I-Can-Pick-a-Tourist-a-Mile-Away! Sure, you can pick out 'some' of them, but then .... if you don't ask everyone you encounter, how do you know if you might have 'missed one' ????

I wish I was clairvoyant, like so many other people seem to be! ;)

Come on, you never played games when going someplace? Scooter riding can get boring. But here's the answer as to what can signify a gringo/NOB house:

Good hints: well-maintained exterior perimeter walls with colors other than white, decorative accents around windows, dual-paned glass, certain types of flower pots (usually all new), ceramic tiles for the street number, intercoms, where the satellite dish is pointed, internet service, US/Canadian plates on car, and sometimes things we only notice once.

We don't know the answer until we've been able to prove it. That's kinda what makes the game so fun. Try it. You might crack a smile yet!

Chris

Guest SallyAnne
If people are okay with paying NOB prices....fine. If not, there are plenty of other places that charge less. Pick your pleasure. And tip decently, no matter where you eat.

During a conversation with a server at a 'gringo' owned/patronized restaurant, the subject of his/her salary came up. Basic pay is 180/day.

To tell the truth, I wasn't really replying to anyone in particular. Just ranting after reading so much.

I would think it would be ok to encourage ANY restaurant that serves good food, good service, and has clients willing to pay for it. No matter who owns it. Is it ok to encourage one because he's Mexican and trying to make a living and not another solely because he's a foreigner trying to make a living?

Where do Mexicans from Lakeside go to eat? Depends on their income, I guess. Most people I know eat at home. I see quite a few at La Taverna during the week and pretty much everywhere on weekends for a sit-down meal. Taco stands, roadside places not-withstanding.

If you were offended by my previous post, it probably means I was referring to you. Otherwise, ignore it. It's just cheaper than a shrink for me.

And I certainly won't hide behind a screen name if I have something to say.

Chris

Premiere cable--I never get offended, I was just trying to make sense of your post. In fact, I saw that you were venting up. I'm glad I kept civilized . . . we never know when others have a bad day.

I feel good in my skin, so attacks and disagreement don't bother me. I read these posts mainly for distraction and curiosity of human nature. And sometimes we learn things. I did anyway and it is a good way to keep in touch with Lakeside living.

Guest Willard
Okay people. Let’s put things into perspective here.

When we talk prices in Mexico, it should not be based or compared with prices NOB. Why? Because in Mexico (Lakeside anyway) salaries are lower, rents are lower, product prices are lower, so is the decor. There is no restaurant called the RITZ around here where the charge is to run the place more than for the food itself. Then can you tell me why breakfasts in a family type restaurant (compare oranges with oranges) should cost the same here as NOB?

I have been to a few good restaurants in Guad for $60 pesos (full plate and all). Why should Lakeside be any different or more?

Let me see if I get this:

Some restaurants serve an excellent breakfast at Mexican prices, why should another restaurant charge NOB prices? It should not cost more because a restaurant cooks well. Since "some" restaurants serve a good breakfast at Mexican prices then all should serve at Mexican prices? Based on that principle the Waffle House, whose prices are certainly NOB and is seemingly always packed (primarily with Mexicans) should have lower prices or they should go out of business. Based on your concept restaurants like #4 shouldn't be in business because they charge more than some other place that charges less? HUH?

And it has absolutely nothing to do with being cheap. It is a matter of principle and self respect (not being abused because it is assumed that you have more money than Mexicans). The higher priced restaurants are usually run by Americans or Canadians who know they can get away with charging more. Most Mexican-run restaurants have Mexican prices. But they might learn fast and reconsider their prices if their neighbors get away with charging more. The gringo owned places that we frequent like Tango, Robertos, Brunos, Las Tolares (he's Puerto Rican but spent his life in biz in the US) and 60's all offer xceptional food, really good service, a certain ambiance and CONSISTENCY. There's no mysteries as to what's going to happen with your dining experience. I don't think you can say the same things exist at most of the Mexican run places. Mexican restaurants seem to run to (generally) one of two concepts:

1) open before everything's ready and hope that the kinks get ironed out before they go out of business

2) when they open they have great service, good food, good portions and good prices. Then after a month or two they get rid of the good service by hiring their inexperienced relatives with lousy attitudes. Then they cut back on the quality and portions of the food and raise prices. Then they go out of business.

I personally prefer to pay for quality that I can afford. My self respect and principles don't tell me to patronize lousy quality simply because it's all I can afford.

Guest Willard

Exactly! Eat where you want. Accept the food, service and ambiance that you get for your money. But don't tell others what they should pay. And don't put people down for wanting and paying for quality.

The tipping and cheap gringos: We have an acquaintance who works at La Tasca. On New Years Eve the place was jammed to the rafters. I'd guess 150 or so people, maybe more - - - mostly gringos. At the end of the night they put all the tips in a communal kitty and divvy it up. She and another person who works there told me that the split came to @150 pesos each for the night. That says that there's some really cheap people out there and that sucks!

then all should serve at Mexican prices? Based on that principle the Waffle House, whose prices are certainly NOB

Mexican prices, yes. Because we live in Mexico and prices should be calculated according to the expenses, etc.

Waffle House has no competition and, just like Super Lake, serves a clientele that is willing to pay NOB prices for what they cannot get somewhere else.

Everybody can go into business and charge what they want and everybody can eat there if they want (I'm not dictating otherwise). What I was saying was that those places with their NOB prices are not necessarily the best places.

I was not aiming the restaurants you mentioned but Early Bird where the prices (that I was quoted) were way out of reasonable range comparing to many other breakfast places. You distorted my remarks.

I personally prefer to pay for quality that I can afford. My self respect and principles don't tell me to patronize lousy quality simply because it's all I can afford.

What about paying for quality that is lower than what you can afford? Nothing wrong with that. Why should we patronize those places where they charge more for less and for nothing special? I have a few places in mind.

Patronize lousy quality was not in my comments. You misread my post. Breakfast was the subject.

You did not comment about restaurants in Guad comparing to restaurants at Lakeside.

Archived