Chapala.com Webboard

Early Bird Cafe

Maddogpir3

My wife and I ate at Rick Fisher's new Early Bird Cafe this AM. Rick and his wife Heidi are the former owners of 60's so they know how to do restaurant 101 the right way. There's two schools of thought on how to do a restaurant here: one is that you open it up before it's all ready and then work out the kinks as you go along (does this make sense to ANYONE?). The other is that you open up when everything's organized and ready to hit the ground running. Rick operates on the latter concept.

I had biscuits and sausage gravy. My wife had eggs over easy a big fat home-made sausage patty. The biscuits were light and fluffy. The sausage gravy was crammed with sausage. Perfect consistency too. My wife's eggs were perfect. The sausage patty was too. A friend of ours was at the next table and had eggs benedict. Looked great so I asked Rick for a taste of the Hollandaise sauce. Divine!

As an aside: we sat down and as we were handed menus we had xlnt coffee placed in front of us without asking. Real cream too. Service was over the top good too!

It's pretty hard to screw up breakfast but we've been to places here at lakeside that have managed to do so. Rick's Early Bird isn't one of them! I'm a fan.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

(I sound like I have an interest in the place! Not!)

It's located at the site of the old Melanies on Ocampo next to LM Computers.

Huge biscuits and gravy, 2 eggs, home made sausage patties, mucho coffee, xlnt service etc = 120pesos

I know I know I know- - -there's lots of places where you can eat for less but this is good stuff and I know that other places have good stuff but this is like what you'd get at a top of the line place in San Francisco or LA. Butif you're cheap cheap and it just has to be a total bargain then it isn't the place for you.

(I sound like I have an interest in the place! Not!)

It's located at the site of the old Melanies on Ocampo next to LM Computers.

Huge biscuits and gravy, 2 eggs, home made sausage patties, mucho coffee, xlnt service etc = 120pesos

I know I know I know- - -there's lots of places where you can eat for less but this is good stuff and I know that other places have good stuff but this is like what you'd get at a top of the line place in San Francisco or LA. Butif you're cheap cheap and it just has to be a total bargain then it isn't the place for you.

There is no doubt this is an excellent place for breakfast. Rick and Heidi always had good food at 60's, were great hosts providing good service, and did an overall superb job. Matter of fact, my wife and I talked to Rick about a week before he was to open and perused his menu.

One does not have to be cheap to not want to spend San Francisco or LA prices here at lakeside. My wife and I enjoy breakfast at Salvadors in Ajijic, Fonda at the west side of Ajijic, Sunrise in San Antonio, and the American Legion in Chapala. In most cases we get out of these restaurants for between 70 and 90 pesos for the two of us, with usually a 10% or slightly higher tip included. Food is good and normally so is the service at all these places and they all have all the coffee we can drink.

The eggs benedict in this new place are 85 pesos plus the cost of coffee. By the time one gets done, you are talking about $110 to $120 pesos, with tip, and that is for one person. I can go to Salvadors on a Sunday, get all the eggs benedict I want, with all the extra hollandaise sauce I want, plus all the juice, coffee, and everything else they offer for 70 pesos or 80 with tip.

I am not cheap and my wife and I already planned to eat there this Friday, after our massages at Total Body Care. However, with so many other good breakfast restaurants in town, for far less money, I seriously doubt we will be regulars there.

Anyway, I am thrilled you had such a good experience and hope the restaurant does very well.

He obviously didn't study what other people are charging for breakfasts, as he is so much higher. $ 110. - $ 120. pesos for breakfast, the cheapest meal you can put on the table. Yikes!!! You can go to any good restaurant for Dinner in Ajijic for the same or less money.

It is for two breakfasts!!!! :rolleyes:

No wonder people argue on here. He said:

"I had biscuits and sausage gravy. My wife had eggs over easy a big fat home-made sausage patty".

"Huge biscuits and gravy, 2 eggs, home made sausage patties, mucho coffee, xlnt service etc = 120pesos"

Not saying it is cheap and neither is/was 60's in Paradise; simply clarifying. Then again being in Ontario for 9 weeks and 4 to go, it is all dramatically less than here and a bargain.

"I had biscuits and sausage gravy. My wife had eggs over easy a big fat home-made sausage patty".

"Huge biscuits and gravy, 2 eggs, home made sausage patties, mucho coffee, xlnt service etc = 120pesos"

You are right, John. The OP paid $120 pesos for 2 people for what they ordered. That is a lot of money for what they had. I wrote that if someone ordred the eggs benedict and coffee it would come to around $110 to $120 pesos with tip for one.

Not saying it is cheap and neither is/was 60's in Paradise; simply clarifying. Then again being in Ontario for 9 weeks and 4 to go, it is all dramatically less than here and a bargain.

Thank you for teaching others the technique of reading. What a concept.

I know it does.

But I would like to know how much this costs in US or Canadian dollars.

Look here and then divide the exchange rate into the pesos - you'll have to get the Canadian exchange from the same site:

http://finance.yahoo.com/currency-converte...;submit=Convert

Truly this is something than any of us living here ought to be able to do for ourselves without asking for help.

Thank you for teaching others the technique of reading. What a concept.

Amazing the English language and how especially on this board people disagree and also ask questions without understanding the written word. I suspect that is the root of many "disagreements" on here. Too funny. lol

Peter hope all is well. John

Guest knownothing

American Legion in Chapala- the absolute best biscuits I have ever tasted in my life, smothered in sausage gravy. 25 pesos for two biscuits, four halves I usually order an extra sausge for 10 pesos and break it up into the gravy. 35 pesos and it is outstanding. I do not think it includes coffee, or maybe it does. Cannot remember. The best buy in lakeside. I drive there from Ajijic whenever I need a biscuit and gravy fix, which I try to keep to a minimum.

Eggs Benedict-- La Nueva Posada for 65 pesos, includes coffee or juice and fresh fruit or yoghurt and the setting is absolutely spectacular.

The egg benedicts at La Nueva Posada were the worst I ever had. The three of us left them. They must have dropped a whole bottle of vinegar in the sauce.

There is no reason to charge so much for breakfast. I had excellent breakfast other places between $80 and $90p. (the works)

Eggs Benedict-- La Nueva Posada for 65 pesos, includes coffee or juice and fresh fruit or yoghurt and the setting is absolutely spectacular.

I have not eaten at Rick’s new place, so I’m unable to comment on the quality of his Eggs Benedict.

However I have tried them at La Nueva Posada and their Hollandaise is not true Hollandaise, but rather Hollandaise mixed with béchamel (my guess is about 50/50 Hollandaise/white sauce. This is method used by restrauants that like to make their sauce early and keep it for the duration, as real Hollandaise does not hold very well.

Using this technique allows for a lower cost base and therefore lower prices. That the sauce is not nearly so good as the real thing is beside the point.

Further, on the day, the yolks (both of them) of my Eggs Benedict were congealed. I suspect that my order sat on the hot plate for too long. Either that or the cook had no clue.

Bottom line—poorly cooked eggs, watered down (accurately white sauced down) sauce—and it really makes no difference if the price is low.

I do agree that the setting is very nice.

Guest knownothing
The egg benedicts at La Nueva Posada were the worst I ever had. The three of us left them. They must have dropped a whole bottle of vinegar in the sauce.

There is no reason to charge so much for breakfast. I had excellent breakfast other places between $80 and $90p. (the works)

Please feel free to enjoy your Eggs Benedict at this new restaurant for twice the price. I will continue to enjoy La Nueva Posada for half the price. Please let me know how much you enjoy the lakeview from the new restaurant, as well, as the non existent ambiance,

Please feel free to enjoy your Eggs Benedict at this new restaurant for twice the price. I will continue to enjoy La Nueva Posada for half the price. Please let me know how much you enjoy the lakeview from the new restaurant, as well, as the non existent ambiance,

After reading all of this nonsense, my wife and I went to the Early Bird this morning. The most expensive item on the menu is Steak, Eggs and Potatos which is $85 pesos. The steak is about a 4oz filet. We both had and thoroughly enjoyed the Eggs Benedict which was priced at $65 pesos. All of their breakfasts come with Toast, Coffee or Juice. It's the best breakfast we've had since we left Seattle. See yoy there tomorrow!

Look here and then divide the exchange rate into the pesos - you'll have to get the Canadian exchange from the same site:

http://finance.yahoo.com/currency-converte...;submit=Convert

Truly this is something than any of us living here ought to be able to do for ourselves without asking for help.

I think McSquared may have been paying a bit more for his meals than he knows! "Look, honey, this steak is only $150 pesos, that's only about $1.50 US!" His wife replies "Gee, maybe we should get that $5 bottle of wine to go with it." Advice to MC: It really is helpful to learn the exchange rate and choose accordingly. $120 pesos comes to about $10.50 Canadian.

I think McSquared may have been paying a bit more for his meals than he knows! "Look, honey, this steak is only $150 pesos, that's only about $1.50 US!" His wife replies "Gee, maybe we should get that $5 bottle of wine to go with it." Advice to MC: It really is helpful to learn the exchange rate and choose accordingly. $120 pesos comes to about $10.50 Canadian.

Now I could be all wrong here (just returned from dinner, good friends, and good wine) but a 150 peso means $15 US dollars to me because I’m still spending US dollars at the exchange of about 10 to 1. Your " Advice to MC: It really is helpful to learn the exchange rate and choose accordingly.” May also work for you, if you’re going to be nasty to another you may not want to “throw the first stone”?

Now I could be all wrong here (just returned from dinner, good friends, and good wine) but a 150 peso means $15 US dollars to me because I’m still spending US dollars at the exchange of about 10 to 1. Your " Advice to MC: It really is helpful to learn the exchange rate and choose accordingly.” May also work for you, if you’re going to be nasty to another you may not want to “throw the first stone”?

Amy Lee, I don't want to insult anyone, I thought MC didn't have a clue when he asked if a breakfast of... (he didn't say which, but the discussion dealt with $120 pesos) would be 75 or 85 cents in US or Cdn dollars. That's a long way from the 10 to 1 you use. Actually, if you get your pesos from an ATM, I think you paid less than $11 USD for your $150 peso meal, but that's beside the point. If MC lives in México, or visits here regularly, then he knows better. But, some tourists are totally innocent (to use a nice word) about the exchange. I have seen people who wanted to pay $500 pesos for a small item not worth $50 pesos. Most of them, I admit, are cruise ship passengers in town for the day, but they visit several ports before and after my town, and I am always amazed that they don't know more about the exchange. At least, using your 10 to 1 gives you a nice surprise when you get home. Peace.

Archived