Chapala.com Webboard

Gerard's Restaurant

tigerlily

Just saw a full page inside front cover ad for this restaurant in Lake Chapala Review. It indicates that he's been in business for a while and has a new location. I've never heard of him - or his restaurant before. Anyone know anything?

The owner is Giovanni's son, Gerardo, who used to call his place Piccolo's. He has moved from the carretera down to the bottom of Rio Bravo/Zula, in the old Billy Moon place.

The owner is Giovanni's son, Gerardo, who used to call his place Piccolo's. He has moved from the carretera down to the bottom of Rio Bravo/Zula, in the old Billy Moon place.

Not exactly. Gerardo's is across the street from the old Moon-plex and shares the parking lot within the (apartment/hotel) Joya del Lago. There's no sign yet on the street (Rio Zula) so you have to turn and go through the gate on the right when you see the Joya del Lago sign. Great location for me (a few meters down the street). Hope his many loyal customers can find him.

We ate at Piccolo's once about 2 - 3 years ago, first and last time. Terrible food.

For good Pizza, go to Toscana (Alessandros) in Riberas or Trattoria di Axixix or Ajijic Tango.

Judging by the numbers of customers nightly at his old location on the carretera, you would seem to be among the minority who dismiss the quality of the food. :)

Guest knownothing
We ate at Piccolo's once about 2 - 3 years ago, first and last time. Terrible food.

For good Pizza, go to Toscana (Alessandros) in Riberas or Trattoria di Axixix or Ajijic Tango.

Guest knownothing

Dear John, having eaten at a restaurant two or three years ago, having had a bad meal in your one visit, certainly calls into question your expertise as the self proclaimed food critic of this website.

To the OP

Food is great. Pizza is more than great.. Three best pizzas in lakeside are Gerardo's, Trattoria and the Yellow House. Check it out and let us know your thoughts,

Bon Appetit

bournemouth - Give me all the info on the Crepe place, address, phone number and price rang and I'll add it. I haven't eaten there yet.

John - I actually was trying to say that there are other good pizzas in town besides the ones mentioned - but it's worth adding the place to the list.

The menu consists of various main course and dessert crepes, freshly made pastas and pizzas. The range, based on my poor memory is 60 pesos to 120 pesos. 120 pesos is a large pizza. The most expensive crepe dish is about 90 pesos, most are in the 60 peso range. The pizzas remind me of Alessandro's pizzas - the crust might be a hair breadth thicker than La Toscana.

You should expect a little wait for your food as it is cooked as orders come in. There are about 6 tables inside and 3 or 4 outside in the rear garden. There is good jazz playing gently on the sound system.

The owners are Bruno & Eleonora Pascal. She is from Guadalajara and he is from France.

Colon #18. Tel: 376-766-3745. Watch the step going in and especially coming out - it could be a killer.

The hours are not shown on the card but he opens around noon and is open into the evening. Pleasant place, pleasant service, nice food - we hope they succeed.

Such bullheadedness!

Maybe your moniker should be gnuinajijic. (Is that an oxymoron?)

I refuse to be buffalloed (or cowed) by your reviews!

(Sorry, I cudn't resist.)

I had pizza at Gerardo's last night. The place was busy but the service was still prompt.

The owners of the La Joya location have fixed up the restaurant quite nicely. Years ago whem lakeside had many fewer foreigners, restaurants and entertainment Carol Bedford and Jerry Mayfield would play there every Thursday night. The restaurant owner would pack everyone in and serve a buffet. All this for 45P. That and Diana's on Saturday night with a good band were the places to be.

Archived