Chapala.com Webboard

chile rellenos, and mole

Denver

Any suggestions as to where I might find the best chili rellenos around Ajijic? How about a good mole sauce, maybe over chicken?? Thanks

You may have to go to the mercado in Chapala. Inside, on the rear wall, you will find Cocina Economica and they have chiles rellenos on most days. They will come with salad, vegetables and rice for about 40 pesos. They make great carrot juice and other drinks from fruits, etc. There are tables and it is a great place for lunch and people watching.

Any suggestions as to where I might find the best chili rellenos around Ajijic? How about a good mole sauce, maybe over chicken?? Thanks

Everybody's tastes are different but I really like the chiles rellanos at El Serape. You can order them separately or you can get the Mexican plate which has a chile rellano, carne asada, a quesadilla, beans and rice. Consistently good for the five years we have lived here.

On the mountain side of the carretera just east of Calle Juárez in Ajijic you will find the tiny Lonchería Diana. Doña Socorro is the cook. Go in and ask her when she will be serving either one of those dishes in the lonchería. She's a stupendous cook.

She also caters food for parties. She catered an event for me a few years ago: mole dulce, pollo en pipián, arroz a la mexicana, and frijolitos refritos for 80 people. The food was out of this world and the price was very affordable. I purchased all the ingredients, took them to her at the restaurant, and she did all the food preparation.

Ah, interesting replies--thanks. No major eateries named, but little mom and pop places. Lonchería Diana --thanks More Liana--sounds esp. interesting as it's just 3 or so blocks from my new place!!

How about the little place just across the street of LCS, Chimi's is the name I believe?? I believe I read on this board they just expanded a bit from their tiny place.

Ah, interesting replies--thanks. No major eateries named, but little mom and pop places. Lonchería Diana --thanks More Liana--sounds esp. interesting as it's just 3 or so blocks from my new place!!

How about the little place just across the street of LCS, Chimi's is the name I believe?? I believe I read on this board they just expanded a bit from their tiny place.

Chimi's does a good job on just about everything that they serve. The other person in this house thinks the Chile rellenos at El Serape are the best in town. The restaurant on the plaza in Ajijic does not do a bad job with them. The place that was reputed to have the best ones is the little restaurant at the Pemex on the carretera - we've never tried them but really should.

I, personally, wasn't wild about the rellenos at Chimi's because the time I tried them the filling included corn and I just don't think that has any business being there. <_< They were also very bland, to me, and I like a bit of heat. I should have asked for some salsa, but didn't. (Did love the albondigas I had the other day though.)

For a different twist, the newish(?) restaurant Machinquepa on Constitucion directly across from Tom's Bar does a relleno en caldo that's darn tasty. In fact, everything I've had there has been tasty. (Warning: this restaurant is NOT for everyone, literally, I think there are only seven seats in the whole place. :D ) They also do Chayote Rellenos, and Squash Rellenos. And her pico de gallo is outstanding. But the menu is extrememly limited. It's a "What did you make today?" kinda place.

Travis, well shoot.

Today I found myself down on Constitucion and being a tad peckish I popped into Tom's for pulled pork (yummy), fries (crispy) and a martini (cold and dry), it was after all just about 3.

It had been one of those days, just way too busy with terrible hands at bridge all morning, not everything I wanted in the errand department got done, and even Tom's bartender had to go down to the Cameleon Bar and retrieve the shaker they had borrowed. One shaker per block, I guess. I had tried to reach my other half to come join me since he too was in the area. But I was using my new cell phone and couldn't really figure out what I needed to dial. When I got home I found out he had been in the Cameleon with a buddy for food and a beer when the great shaker hand-off went down. Small world.

So I am upset now because I had no idea there might be SQUASH RELLENOS across the street. What a day brightener that would have been. I looked over there, saw a sign and couple tables and dismissed it out of hand. What a fool am I. That will not happen again.

We've eaten at the resturant to the east of the Carretera PeMex, its always good. The male meal crowd can be intimidating but just plow on thru and give your order. It helps if you pull up in a big steel vehicle thats 20 years old and making some rattling noises while running a little hot. Seems to take the edge off the "gringa in our space" part.

We also like the tortas at Jessica's and sometimes she is still open at 2 AM on Friday and Saturday. We know because we drive home from Guad in the dark, after midnight too. Everything is quiet all over town and Jessica's is hopping!

The pozole made by the woman who runs the loncheria near our house is really good. It must be as she just put in a new flat screen TV, built a lighted shrine to Our Lady of Guadalupe out front and had new doors made. "Pozole Hoy" in black magic marker on an egg carton box set in a wheelbarrow is the clue. Its east of the corner of Rio Zula/Rio Bravo and OCampo. She is putting a sign on the door for various futball game times so I figure she shooting for a sports bar theme.

Its soooo nice not to be concerned about finding "great" food when regular old good food does the trick. I appreciate John's work on his "Top Resturant" list, and go to those places too, but as good as they are I am just not always feeling the looooove that comes when "Mom" cooks.

And I second Bournemouth's other person in the house stamp of approval on El Serapes Rellenos as the best, so far.

More Liana is the owner of a baggy of stuff to make pine nut mole. It most recently slathered itself over pork. It was really tasty.

So I am taking to heart the recommendation for Loncheria Diana and it is on my get to soon list, thanks for the tip.

Plebian food tastes.....ahhhhh, the midwest is showing!

Archived