Chapala.com Webboard

Joe's

Maddogpir3

We would love to see a GOOD Chinese restaurant. There aren't any in Guad either.

Do you know of any in Guad?

Have you tried the China Inn in Jocotepec? Not 100 percent authentic but a pretty tasty approximation. Owners are a Mexican who has extensive restaurant experience in the US and his Japanese wife. Often what passes for REAL Chinese food in most countries is a bastardization or otherwise unrecognizable to Chinese.

How about a good Korean restaurant? My wife, a great cook, keeps saying she wants to open one locally. I remain cautious.

We tried Min Wah, 8 years ago when we came here and the food was horrible. It's a poor excuse for Chinese food, IF you know what good Chinese food is.

We also tried China Inn in Joco, more authentic than Min Wah, but didn't like smelling exhaust fumes from the Carretera while we were eating. We never went back.

We are very spoiled having had the "best" Chinese food only 5 miles from our house in Mass. The Chinese owners were always there. The food was exquisite and they received the award year after year for the Best Chinese food on the South Shore, south of Boston.

oh yes, Indian food would be marvelous. It remains our favorite and yet there is none here or in Guad. We have tried the Secret Garden meal and found it terribly lacking in flavor and also tried Goa in Guad. The owner there explained that he has tremendous difficulty importing the ingredients to make the food authentic. I find it hard to believe that a city the size of Guad. doesn't have at least 3-4 Indian restaurants. It would be wonderful for us if someone would open an authentic Indian restaurant here lakeside but we need someone who really knows Indian food and will use the right ingredients. Otherwise, it's just a waste of time, money and calories!

Valerie

I got sidetracked the other day going thru the old Reporters for a fairly recent lengthy article about a new Indian restaurant in Guad. Sounded as though it might have real possibilities. I ate at Goa several months after they first opened and talked to the original chef who was from Goa - the meal was good - but he made special off the menu items as carry out for my now late husband who was quite impressed. India it wasn't - but good working with what was available and what supplies they had managed to bring in. And he followed my request - very spicy on the carry out items. There is an Indian dish called phall - one of the hottest varieties of curry there is - usually the waiter or manager will discourage a westerner from ordering it .

Did anyone else keep the article from the paper?

Guest Gringal
Ricki's is a Thai restaurant. Has anyone tried it?

Ricky's food is delicious. My favorite involves shrimp. Everytbing is fresh and good: crunchy shrimp and great flavors.

The prices are a touch high, but worth it.

Guest Gringal
Yeah, Ricki's is consistently good food. But calling it Thai food is a bit of a stretch. If any of you are in Querétaro, get a cab to Bankok, it's a Thai-Mexican fusion restaurant on Bernardo Quintana. It's the best I've found outside DF.

As I told a newcomer friend last year.....your standards tend to get more "flexible" when you move to Mexico. True enough that Ricky's is not "authentic" Thai food, but it's mighty tasty and Queretaro is a wee bit far away. ;)

There is a Korean restaurant in the Guadalajara Abastos. Those who have been there say it is quite good.

RV, the owners are Korean, but the restaurant does not serve Korean food. It's called Lee's. I've eaten there a lot; the food is delicious, especially the tempura--chicken, shrimp, and vegetable--in a crunchy, fresh, light batter, served with fried rice and miso soup. Other things on the menu are yakitori of various kinds, sushi made to order, and other commonly found Japanese specialties. It's not cheap, but it is good for 'fonda' food.

All of the other posters who have bemoaned the lack of Chinese and Indian food in Guadalajara need to remember that although it's a huge city, it's still the provinces. And it's so true: the ingredients for those two extremely varied cuisines are all but impossible to come by. I was recently in Mexico City and shopped at an all-Asian supermarket in La Condesa. The store carried none of the ingredients I was looking for: thick soy sauce (otherwise known as bead molasses), Chungkiang black vinegar, etc. Mind you, there was a long shelf of many, many flavored soys, there were fresh noodles, there were utensils like bamboo steamers and wire skimmers--but the ingredients were lacking.

Remember that all but a few of Mexico's Chinese originally came from the province of Canton, where the cuisine is delicate and finely flavored. Today's palate wants Szechuan and Hunan highly spiced dishes. There is ONE RESTAURANT in Mexico City where this style food is available. It's almost more authentic than the Western palate can handle, not in terms of its use of spices, but in the style of dishes on the menu. I've been there, and I might go back there, but I would want to ask a lot more questions about the menu choices before ordering.

You won't find edible Chinese food--as John says, for those who really know Chinese food--anywhere in Mexico. I've tried in 31 states and the Distrito Federal. It ain't here, so we might as well quit bellyaching.

RV, the owners are Korean, but the restaurant does not serve Korean food. It's called Lee's. I've eaten there a lot; the food is delicious, especially the tempura--chicken, shrimp, and vegetable--in a crunchy, fresh, light batter, served with fried rice and miso soup. Other things on the menu are yakitori of various kinds, sushi made to order, and other commonly found Japanese specialties. It's not cheap, but it is good for 'fonda' food.

I used to live in Jardines del Bosque and we shopped at the mercado several times a week for years. Since we no longer live in that area we now only visit a couple of times a month and occasionally dine at Lee's. Actually there are two puestos in the market owned by the family. I don't know if I would call the food delicious but it is a nice for a change of pace.

Archived