Chapala.com Webboard

Joe's

Maddogpir3

Is the new Joe's open yet? (in Ajijic where the old ill fated and lousy fooded OK Corral used to be)

Joe (or whomever) has certainly spent some bucks on the place. It'll be interesting to see if he, she, it or they follow the time honored Mexican procedures for opening and then quickly closing a restaurant.

Please pardon my cynicism but I just can't help it!

Is the new Joe's open yet? (in Ajijic where the old ill fated and lousy fooded OK Corral used to be)

Joe (or whomever) has certainly spent some bucks on the place. It'll be interesting to see if he, she, it or they follow the time honored Mexican procedures for opening and then quickly closing a restaurant.

It's open - but, for how long - who knows.

Well, if they have the same lousy food and service that some restaurants do here, give them 3 months.

You don't have to be too bright to know that with this economy your entering a dangerous adventure by opening a restaurant.

We have not eaten there personally but good friends of ours were there yesterday with another couple. They said they would never go back. The service they had was horrible and the food mediocre at best. Two people ordered the exact same dish and one came out and the other about the time the first person was finished. They each got about a quarter cup of coffee and then were told there was no more as they had run out. The idea of sending someone out quickly to buy more did not seem to cross their minds. Then, the restaurant tried to charge each of them for their coffees. Not exactly the recommendation a new restaurant wants.

We have not eaten there personally but good friends of ours were there yesterday with another couple. They said they would never go back. The service they had was horrible and the food mediocre at best. Two people ordered the exact same dish and one came out and the other about the time the first person was finished. They each got about a quarter cup of coffee and then were told there was no more as they had run out. The idea of sending someone out quickly to buy more did not seem to cross their minds. Then, the restaurant tried to charge each of them for their coffees. Not exactly the recommendation a new restaurant wants.

LOLOLOLOL- - -once again the Mexican recipes for success prove out! Spend a bunch of money making the place nice, then serve bad food with bad service and wonder why it all went sounth!

LOLOLOLOL- - -once again the Mexican recipes for success prove out! Spend a bunch of money making the place nice, then serve bad food with bad service and wonder why it all went sounth!

You're making as assumption here that the owner is Mexican. The person I saw around the place during the remodel was a Gringo.

We went there on opening night. They were supposed to open at 7, when we got there they said maybe 8:30 but they did offer us a "drink." We ordered Margueritas and it was clear they didn't have a clue how to fix one, they were awful.

I wish them luck, not off to a good start.

You're making as assumption here that the owner is Mexican. The person I saw around the place during the remodel was a Gringo.

The guy we talk to (before opening) was Mexican with very good English, but I do not know if he was the owner.

We also got a card for a free drink at the opening day but knew we would not go. We do not frequent places on a busy, noisy and dusty highway... we prefer to sit in our garden ....in the sun ....and make ourselves the perfect strawberry margarita (or whatever).

Cheers

Guest Gringal
Another restaurant doomed to failure from the start. Do these people starting up restaurants only have a sixth grade education?

There are many folks who have run successful businesses with little education: The problem seems to lie in the area of common sense and experience. If someone wants to go into a business, JOB ONE is go work for a similar business and learn the ropes. In the case of Joe's, it's sounds like the only rope involved is around his neck and he's on a teetering chair. :o

If you read what I said it never inferred that the owner was a Mexican. Simply a Mexican (as in country) recipe for success.

Another restaurant doomed to failure from the start. Do these people starting up restaurants only have a sixth grade education?

And for some reason u assume they have THAT much education? Please. Wouldn'tcha think that after seeing place after place after place open and close and open and close with the regularity of ex-lax, that some of these bozos, either Mexican or gringo, would figure it out? U can post on here til Jesus comes back about paying attention to places like Tango that just keep on truckin in good times and bad, but it seems to go in the out ear and out the in ear for all the good that it does.

And as for the owner reading this forum and taking from it: how about the guy from the Turtle who reads it and then argues with posters believing he's right as rain, no matter what anyone says, until the day he closes the doors?

We went there on opening night. They were supposed to open at 7, when we got there they said maybe 8:30 but they did offer us a "drink." We ordered Margueritas and it was clear they didn't have a clue how to fix one, they were awful.

ANYBODY WITH SENSE KNOW NOT TO GO TO AN OPENING UNLESS THEY ARE AFTER FREEBIES LIKE A LOT ARE AROUND HERE. WOULD LIKE TO SEE ONE OF YOU COMPLAINERS TRY TO RUN A BUSINESS DOWN HERE. MAYBE SOMEONE SHOULD OPEN A BUSINESS AND TEACH PEOPLE ON HOW TO GET A LIFE INSTEAD OF SITTING ALL DAY AND NIGHT LONG AT A COMPUTER. I AM SIGNING OFF JUST IN CASE I BEGIN TO SOUND LIKE YOU COMPLAINERS....SCARRY

ANYBODY WITH SENSE KNOW NOT TO GO TO AN OPENING UNLESS THEY ARE AFTER FREEBIES LIKE A LOT ARE AROUND HERE. WOULD LIKE TO SEE ONE OF YOU COMPLAINERS TRY TO RUN A BUSINESS DOWN HERE. MAYBE SOMEONE SHOULD OPEN A BUSINESS AND TEACH PEOPLE ON HOW TO GET A LIFE INSTEAD OF SITTING ALL DAY AND NIGHT LONG AT A COMPUTER. I AM SIGNING OFF JUST IN CASE I BEGIN TO SOUND LIKE YOU COMPLAINERS....SCARRY

If you read what I said it never inferred that the owner was a Mexican. Simply a Mexican (as in country) recipe for success.

And for some reason u assume they have THAT much education? Please. Wouldn'tcha think that after seeing place after place after place open and close and open and close with the regularity of ex-lax, that some of these bozos, either Mexican or gringo, would figure it out? U can post on here til Jesus comes back about paying attention to places like Tango that just keep on truckin in good times and bad, but it seems to go in the out ear and out the in ear for all the good that it does.

And as for the owner reading this forum and taking from it: how about the guy from the Turtle who reads it and then argues with posters believing he's right as rain, no matter what anyone says, until the day he closes the doors?

GET A LIFE WILL YOU........

This was the op- - -after reading it several times I just can't seem to find a complaint in it.

My family was in the restaurant biz in one way or another for 30 years. One of the first things that I ever learned about the restaurant or any other kind of business is that you don't open until it's ready. As in having everything down pat so that you don't get these kinds of comments. As to getting a life- - -I simply asked a question with the op- - -your foolish response adds nothing nor does it serve to answer the question. So who needs to get a life bozo? And do tell the rest of us what you do all day and night long since you're obviously above us all.

GET A LIFE WILL YOU........

And once again you weren't satisfied with exposing your dimness. You just had to go down for doubles didntcha

The biggest Bozo last year was the Gringo who tried to operate the Lakeside Mall!!!

The biggest Bozo last year was the Gringo who tried to operate the Lakeside Mall!!!

Tough to argue with that point!

$200000 to reno the place

Thousands more to promote it well in advance of it's "opening"

Not having a supply line in place- - pretty flippin priceless!

The sad part is that had the place been run right it would have succeeded wildly by giving all those in the west end of Ajijic a great alternative to the "vast distances" one has to drive to get to SuperLake or Wally's.

Who needs another restaurant here PERIOD

Bear in mind that all of your favorites were once new restaurants. Ajijic Tango, Roberto's, Pedro's and others were not here when we arrived. That is why new restaurants are a good thing, sometimes they are winners. The losers don't matter to me. What someone else chooses to risk in business doesn't matter to me. Even a restaurant that does not success in the long run, can be a good experience when it is open.

Guest Gringal

I want GOOD new restaurants. Preferably, an ethnic variety, like Indian, Thai, and anything else that promises a different taste treat.

It's sad that some people come and spend their savings to open up a business that fails, but as we've discussed, this is usually the result of poor business practices. It is a well-known fact that 80% of new businesses fail in the first year, so what else is new?

oh yes, Indian food would be marvelous. It remains our favorite and yet there is none here or in Guad. We have tried the Secret Garden meal and found it terribly lacking in flavor and also tried Goa in Guad. The owner there explained that he has tremendous difficulty importing the ingredients to make the food authentic. I find it hard to believe that a city the size of Guad. doesn't have at least 3-4 Indian restaurants. It would be wonderful for us if someone would open an authentic Indian restaurant here lakeside but we need someone who really knows Indian food and will use the right ingredients. Otherwise, it's just a waste of time, money and calories!

Valerie

Archived