Chapala.com Webboard

NEW RESTAURANT

newinajijic

Does anyone know about the new restaurant on the corner of Morelos and 16 de Septiembre?

If you have eaten there. please posrt and give some idea of the menu and prices.

La Cueva del Gourmet. It's own and run by Giovanni. Small menu that changes often (no printed menu, just a chalkboard). He does fish very well and his Sicilian eggplant was wonderful. It's a beautiful place to sit, lovely courtyard. Prices change with menu; I think the eggplant was 70p. The fish varied in price (different preparations different nights) but think it was about 100p, mas o menos. He posts a large menu board outside at both the 16 de and Morelos entrances, with prices.

Does anyone know about the new restaurant on the corner of Morelos and 16 de Septiembre?

If you have eaten there. please posrt and give some idea of the menu and prices.

Hola. We have eaten there several times now and each time have had excellent food, service, and the prices were very reasonable. Most recently, my husband had the salmon, and I had the red snapper in white sauce ($80 pesos), which I thought was awesome! We also enjoyed the red house wine, as well as the chocolate cake for dessert. We LOVED the dessert...it was super rich, dark chocolatey, moist and almost fudge-like. We will definitely return, and will bring our friends.

Guest Gringal

Had lunch there today. Checked the outside chalkboard; the inside chalkboard was different...but what the hey.

Husband (smart fella) ordered the snapper; I ordered the chicken. The snapper was outstanding: beautifully cooked with a collection of nice veggies on the side; very light olive oil/wine sauce. Highly recommended. 80 pesos.

I ordered the chicken parmesan (not so smart) and it was a tough piece of skinny white meat. The sauce, however, was just delicious. 80 pesos.

The basket of toasted French bread that first arrived was okay, but I would have preferred it soft. (To mop up the chicken sauce, too).

We didn't have dessert.

Giovanni has a pleasant place; attentive waiters....and nice cloth tablecloths and napkins. (I recall the previous owner had tiny paper ones. ) Hope he does well. ;)

Guest Gringal

We went there again today and brought friends. Three ordered the salmon; I had the whitefish. The salmon portions were the largest I've seen locally, and all three said the preparation was outstanding. My whitefish was delicious.

Salmon was 90 p; whitefish was 80p. Salads included.

• 2 weeks later...

We ate there today. Partner ordered the Arrachera, and it was good. I ordered the Camarones al Gusto....one of the preparations was a Roquefort-based sauce. It just sounded so wrong....but I ordered it anyway because it was unusual. It was right! Tasty! Also had a cheese gratin appetizer which was delicious on the brought bread.

I feel heavy. :P

My husband and I went there last night. I think it may have been an off night. The atmosphere was great and the one and only waiter worked his butt off. But, the appetiser we ordered (cheese plate) never arrived and they were out of both beef choices (Arrachera and Ribe eye). We arrived at 7 pm, so we thought it odd that they would be out of the beef? The menu is pretty limited, but hopefully will improve with time. Choices for entre included shrimp al gusto, fish al gusto, chicken limon and salmon mostaza (plus the missing arrachera / rib eye). We both had the salmon, which was cooked just right with a nice mustard sauce. It came with a nice salad.

Despite the somewhat minor issues, we both thought it was definitely worth a return trip.

• 2 weeks later...

The place is actually called "La Cueva" (the cave) and we ate there tonight. I had the Salmon, which has gotten great reviews, totally deserved IMO. My wife had the Pez Cognac, which was even better.

The atmosphere was great, the service impeccable, the food excellent and the "postre" a kind of ice cream cake, was to die for. A very decent house white wine, two dinners, four glasses of wine, desert, all cost a whopping $300 pesos. Whata deal!

Put it all together, food, atmosphere, price, location, this place deserves to be in anyone's top 10 list. It was a wonderful evening for us, and the owner was in attendance and extremely gracious.

This is a restaurant we want to keep around!

The menu is small. To me, it makes sense to do a few things well rather than many things mediocre. There are two beef dishes, several shrimp dishes, and (I think) 3 fish dishes. There may have been a chicken dish too, but we were specifically interested in the fish, which seems to be the emphasis at La Cueva.

BTW, the meal came with hot, fresh bread, very yummy!

• 2 weeks later...

We were back at La Cueva del Gourmet last night. When I mentioned to the waiter my dissapointment that Sicilian Eggplant wasn't on the chalkboard, Giovanni overheard me and said he'd be happy to make it. It was, as always, superb...a much lighter variation than the NOB eggplant parm that's nothing but cheese and breading. My husband had the shrimp with roquefort, which as another poster indicated, sounds so wrong, but tastes so good! The eggplant (came with a side of pasta) was 80p; the shrimp (came with either pasta or veggies) was 120p. His house wine is 25p.

Giovanni is very accomodating...his fish and shrimp listings are "al gusto" so you get to pick the sauce/preparation.

Archived