Chapala.com Webboard

Local expressions

howie

I am a yearly visitor to Lakeside, I like to learn and practice Spanish.

I think learning the unique maybe sometimes slang words is essential to one's comprehension ability.

Don't know if this thread will take but I thought I would give it a try... Add to the thread unique words in Spanish that are used mostly in Mexico and even better used most frequently Lakeside, Guad and Jalisco.

Also CORRECT spelling errors when encountered in previous posts.

Another use of this thread is to Post Links to Internet resources such as "Mexican" Spanish.

Here are my contributions....

manday: -- What the heck did you just say?

nieve: -- Means snow, but often used to say ice-cream.

cuate: -- Good friend or buddy

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think learning the unique maybe sometimes slang words is essential to one's comprehension ability.

Don't know if this thread will take but I thought I would give it a try... Add to the thread unique words in Spanish that are used mostly in Mexico and even better used most frequently Lakeside, Guad and Jalisco.

Another use of this thread is to Post Links to Internet resources such as "Mexican" Spanish.

I think that "manday" is actually "mande" which comes from the verb "mandar" - to command.

I think that "manday" is actually "mande" which comes from the verb "mandar" - to command.

"Mande" is equivalent to "Excuse me?" (as in "pardon me?", "Please?", or "Would you please repeat what you just said?")

"Nieve" does indeed mean snow but also refers to icemilk-style ice cream, sherbet or, in "nieve raspada" it means shaved ice (as in a snowcone)

"Cuate" also means a twin, or a pal: (nonspecific gender) friend.

If people keep this thread going, it will be very large. There are entire dictionaries devoted to Mexicanisms; in fact, the bookstores at the Guad airport have several.

Here's a few, with a lot of spelling errors though:

Como te ha ido? How's it going, how's it been for you? answer -- muy bien

Mi corazon late y late como burro sin mecate - My heart beats and beats like a burro without a lasso....

Que chido - How cool!

Que barbaro (a) - Awesome

Que dios se lo paque. - Thank god you have paid.

Al pueblo que fueres hacer lo que vieres - To whatever village you go, do as they do ( do as you see)

Como te veo me vi, como me ves te veras - Like he sees now I saw, Like I see he will see.. (for example, father to son..)

De tal palo, tal astilla - The father and son are same, like the phrase in english, the acorn does not fall far from the tree..

Hijo de Tigre pintito- son of the tiger, both have stripes, similar to above phrase De tal palo, tal astilla..

Hay Jalisco, no te rajes - Don't be afraid in Jaliso, No chickens in Jalisco, never give up, don't quit Jalisco..

Si se puede Mexico, Yes Mexico we can!

Pueblo chico infierno grande - Small town big hell, as in gossip for example

Te portas mal or mal por tado - You behave badly.

Andale pues - Go safely like (Que te vaya bien.)

Jalisco nunca pierde y cuando pierde, arrebata. Jalisco does not lose, and when we lose, we take it back.

Tu eres muy burro - You are stubborn

Pobre sito chillon - poor cry baby

Creo que si - I believe so

Las palabras del abuelo son de gran valor para mi - The words of my grandfather are of great importance to me

Edited by Kiko 12/11/08 to remove potential offensive slang phrases.

Cuate is also used to indicate non-identical twins.

Here's a few, with a lot of spelling errors though:

Como te ha ido? How's it going, how's it been for you? answer -- a toda madre.

Mi corazon late y late como burro sin mecate - My heart beats and beats like a burro without a lasso....

Que chido - How cool!

Que barbaro (a) - Awesome

Que dios se lo paque. - Thank god you have paid.

Al pueblo que fueres hacer lo que vieres - To whatever village you go, do as they do ( do as you see)

Como te veo me vi, como me ves te veras - Like he sees now I saw, Like I see he will see.. (for example, father to son..)

De tal palo, tal astilla - The father and son are same, like the phrase in english, the acorn does not fall far from the tree..

Hijo de Tigre pintito- son of the tiger, both have stripes, similar to above phrase De tal palo, tal astilla..

Hay Jalisco, no te rajes - Don't be afraid in Jaliso, No chickens in Jalisco, never give up, don't quit Jalisco..

Correteando la chuleta or Persiguiendo la chuleta - Chasing the pork chop, ( when asked, Como estas?)

Chingandole pal maiz - Working for the tortilla.. (Same as above, when asked Como estas?)

Como mango -- Like the best, or hot as in attractive. The mango is the best fruit of Mexico, When asked Como estas?, "Como mango." Or, She is a "mango", She's hot!

Si se puede Mexico, Yes Mexico we can!

Pueblo chico infierno grande - Small town big hell, as in gossip for example

Tu eres mas %%% ue bonito - Doesn't really translate but it is a compliment (I think)

Soy casado pero no capado - I'm married but not castrated.

Te portas mal or mal por tado - You behave badly.

Saludame a tus hermanas con gusto - Tell your sisters Hello with pleasure - or saludame a tus hermanas mi cunado! Tell your sisters Hello my brother in law.

Andale pues - Go safely like (Que te vaya bien.)

Jalisco nunca pierde y cuando pierde, arrebata. Jalisco does not lose, and when we lose, we take it back.

Tu eres muy burro - You are stubborn

Pobre sito chillon - poor cry baby

Creo que si - I believe so

Esta %%% las cosas pasan - It's in bad shape

Las palabras del abuelo son de gran valor para mi - The words of my grandfather are of great importance to me

Que dios se lo pague. - Thank god you have paid....What this really means is, "May God repay you for it."

Many of the translations of these sayings are incorrect. Many others are either obscenities or the basest kind of street slang and are not in your best interest to learn to say. If you use them in conversation with Mexicans who are not either related to you or very well known to you, you will be considered to be very low class.

ETA: Crosspost with LaChula. Hola chica!

Que dios se lo pague. - Thank god you have paid....What this really means is, "May God repay you for it."

Many of the translations of these sayings are incorrect. Many others are either obscenities or the basest kind of street slang and are not in your best interest to learn to say. If you use them in conversation with Mexicans who are not either related to you or very well known to you, you will be considered to be very low class.

ETA: Crosspost with LaChula. Hola chica!

An interesting point of view I suspect borders on fact. I don't consider myself shy and I use my rough Spanish without hesitation.

I will take your advice to heart and try to remember NOT to incorporate many if not most of these expressions into my speech - however it will NOT dissuade me from trying to LEARN them as to understand what someone means when they use them.

I am curious if your are Mexican More Liana.... not that it waters down your perspective and opinion on language, I am just curious.

~ Howie

Five or so of the more than 20 slang sayings I previously posted could be interpreted as low class or rude and should not be used in conversation unless the other party is a close friend. Most of the sayings are however used by many Mexicans frequently. I would delete the previous post as it was not my intent to stir up trouble, but since it has already been quoted by others, my deletion would serve no purpose. Perhaps the moderator can clean the thread. Sorry bout this. I won't post any more slang because oftentimes slang can be interpreted many different ways by different people.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest irolbackwards

monde-pronounced Monday-means, "I wasn't paying any attention to what you were saying, say it again."

Que barbaro (a) - means, how weird.

que le vaya bien - let it go well with you

llelo-pronounced-yellow-means, "ice"

al tiempo-room temperature

bobo's are the big nats that look like mesquitos. means nats here but not in other states...haha. I swallowed one during the concert in the Malecon and told the audience. One visitor was shocked that I would use such a word, lol another person told him it didn't mean that here. Which I think was like whore or something off the wall.

fresa-snob/cold/upper class

chido - cool

no manches- no way

que manchado-that's really too bad

monde-pronounced Monday-means, "I wasn't paying any attention to what you were saying, say it again."

llelo-pronounced-yellow-means, "ice"

¿Mande? is NOT pronounced like Monday. Most English speakers pronounce "monday" like "munday" and that is definitely not the "a" sound in Spanish.

Ice is "hielo" and if you pronounce it like "yellow" (with the exaggerated "w" at the end) you probably will be understood but I think it's better to learn the correct pronunciation - it will make learning and comprehending Spanish a lot easier later on in your studies.

Guest irolbackwards
¿Mande? is NOT pronounced like Monday. Most English speakers pronounce "monday" like "munday" and that is definitely not the "a" sound in Spanish.

Ice is "hielo" and if you pronounce it like "yellow" (with the exaggerated "w" at the end) you probably will be understood but I think it's better to learn the correct pronunciation - it will make learning and comprehending Spanish a lot easier later on in your studies.

whelp, if I can fool a Mexican, I must not be too bad while communitcating. I may sound a bit gringa sometimes but I don't have a Texas accent.

whelp, if I can fool a Mexican, I must not be too bad while communitcating. I may sound a bit gringa sometimes but I don't have a Texas accent.

I'm not trying to argue here, but if you pronounce "mande" like "monday" and "hielo" like "yellow"....you're not fooling anyone.

Guest irolbackwards
:019: estan celosos. jaja no importa lo que estan deciendo sobre mi pronunciación...la gente puede entenderme No soy una miestra de ingles ni español pero puedo communicar bien en los dos idiomas gracias y buenas noches rancheros.

:019: estan celosos. jaja no importa lo que estan deciendo sobre mi pronunciación...la gente puede entenderme No soy una miestra de ingles ni español pero puedo communicar bien en los dos idiomas gracias y buenas noches rancheros.

Maybe a Spanish language spell check would help you.

Archived