Chapala.com Webboard

¡¡Microbrewery in Ajijic!!

Brew Master

Hello again, i will let you this brewing news article, maybe it is of your interest, because it has many upcoming events in the U.S.

RMBN HopTIps! A Pint for 2009

Is beer immune to the recession? Maybe not: Our biggest industrial breweries are shaking in their mash tuns; merging, selling out, moving abroad. The American middle class is crumbling; they won’t go buy a pint of craft brew . . . or would they?

Apparently, craft beer is recession-proof. According to the Boulder-based Brewers Association, craft brewing is on the rise. The looming storm clouds of another depression hovered over America and the result? Every 215 million Americans enjoyed on average one more pint in 2007 than in 2006, and the craft industry soared with 12% growth that year. And that’s not all, the growth continues with an 11% increase the first half of 2008. Check out www.beertown.org/craftbrewing/statistics.html for more info and statistics on the craft brewing industry. (See, I told you our resolution for 2009 was to learn more about beer!)

So cheers to you for picking up the slack and participating in one of America’s favorite pastimes and soul-lifter: a pint at your local brewery. Despite the usual trend of a dull and boring winter, our region has enough events to keep your belly full of beer. However, I have one urgent request: Please inform me of your favorite local brewery to hang out at, for all of us aren’t from Denver, which seems to host an event every night!

Cheers to 2009,

Ali

“What is extraordinary to me is how the professional craft brewing and homebrewing communities continue to be on the unequivocal cutting edge of their creative destinies.” – Charlie Papazian, President of the Brewers Association

For in-depth info on local happenings, refer to the December/January issue of Rocky Mountain Brewing News. And the February/March issue is on the way! Get it deivered to your door with a subscription at http://www.brewingnews.com/subscribe

Every Tuesday: Big Sky Brewing Company – Missoula, MT - 5 Growler fills every Tuesday in the taproom. Check out the new viewing area of brewery where you can drink a sample and watch the brewing process in action! www.bigskybrew.com

Every Tuesday: Bluegrass Pick at Oskar Blues Brewery – Lyons, CO - All levels welcome, grab your banjo and head out to Lyons! Check out the music calendar at www.oskarblues.com/music for upcoming music events. www.oskarblues.com

Now till End of January: Red Lodge Ales 2 for 1 – Bozeman, MT - Rip up the slopes by day, refuel at the Filling Station by night in Bozeman with Bent Nail IPA and Glacier Ale. Bring in a Bridger Bowl ski pass and get two for one! www.redlodgeales.com.

Jan 15: Bristolicious Mini Tour flight at Old Chicago – Greeley and Colorado Springs, CO - Get a chance to party and win free brewery swag with fellow brewers and drinkers with tastings of 8 Bristol Brewing Company beers, finish all 8 and get a Bristol/Old Chicago T Shirt! Party starts at 7:00pm at all Greeley and Colorado Springs Old Chicago locations. www.bristolbrewing.com

Jan 15: Bristol Beer School – Colorado Springs, CO - Second class is in session on The Etiquette of Beer taught by Mike Andrews and Laura Long. The syllabus can be found at www.bristolbrewing.com. Pre-register with Laura at 633-2555 x 11, tuition is $25.

Jan 15: Proto’s Left Hand Beer Tasting – Denver, CO - The lovely marriage of beer and pizza, what more could you ask for? Proto’s Pizzeria in Denver will be serving a flight of 6 Left Hand beers including the newly released Smoke Jumper Imperial Porter and possibly win some cool Left Hand gear. Event is from 6-9pm at 2402 25th St. Denver, CO. www.lefthandbrewing.com

Jan 17: Open Pool Clinic at Wynkoop – Denver, CO - Get tips from a pro, and not just any pro, but the Viper Melissa Little. Held from 2 – 4:30, $35 includes lunch, a lesson, and drink token, or just $15 for kids. Lessons are geared for beginners to serious players and guaranteed to improve your pool game. Call (720) 296-5395 and check out www.wynkoop.com/hapenings_billiards.html for more info on their pool culture and upcoming tournaments.

Jan 17: Lip Service Brewhouse Review at Great Divide – Denver, CO – Got your dancing shoes out? This party features Lipgloss DJs Boyhollow and Tyler “Danger” Jacobson from 9pm – 12am, 21+ only with a $5 cover. www.greatdivide.com

Jan 19: Society for the Pursuit of Hoppiness Meeting – Boulder, CO. Held from 6 – 8pm at the West End Tavern, enjoy a 3 course meal beer pairing event, with hops in the beer and the food! Peter Archer of Avery Brewing Co. will give a seminar on food pairings, and a special beer will be on tap for society members only. Cost: Members: $25, New Members: $40

Jan 20 - Café Scientifique Brewhouse Lecture Series at Wynkoop – Denver, CO - Bridget Coughlin, PhD, Curator of Human Health, will discuss the Denver Museum of Nature & Science's 10-year strategic plan to provide visitors with a wide variety of activities and experiences that will broaden their knowledge of human biology, disease, and wellness. Lecture beings at 7pm. www.wynkoop.com

Jan 22: Bristol Beer Dinner at Blue Star Restaurant – Colorado Springs, CO - A six-course meal presented by chef Jason Miller and Mike Bristol will commence at 6:30pm. Cost $60, call the Blue Star for reservations: (719) 632-1086.

Jan 22: Hop Disciple Meeting at Great Divide – Denver, CO – Beer geek seeking fellow enthusiasts for quality beerology discussions. Bring a favorite beer, beer drinking story, or any other beer related thing to share with the rest of the disciples. We’ll start around 6pm. www.greatdivide.com

Jan 23: Big Sky Beer Dinner at The Blue Canyon Restaurant - Missoula, MT – Blue Canyon Chef Laurence Coffman and Big Sky Brewing Company’s Head Brewer Matt Long will guide you through a 7-course meal and beer pairing in the Bison Room at 6:30 for only $75. Call the Blue Canyon to reserve a spot for this fun evening at (406) 541-BLUE. Stop by the brewery to see the menu! www.bigskybrew.com

Jan 23: Winter Brew Fest – Denver, CO - At the Mile High Station. Live local music, food, and art and of course, tasty microbrews. This is a HUGE event! The event benefits the Swallow Music Hill Association. Festival hours: 7:00pm - 10:00pm. Cost: $30 advance / $35 at the door. http://www.denverbrewfest.com.

Jan 25 - Denver Mandolin Orchestra at Wynkoop – Denver, CO - Spend a casual Sunday evening taking in the beautiful mandolin music of the DMO, with up to 20 mandolins in concert. This concert is free and starts at 7pm as part of a monthly series. Find out more and download tunes at www.denvermandolin.com

Jan 26 - Ales4FemAles Club Meeting at Left Hand – Longmont, CO - Every month somewhere between 30 and 50 women show up and discuss beer, drink beer, pair beer with food, and learn all about beer. This month’s meeting starts at 6:30 at the Left Hand tasting room. The $5 fee or $50 annual fee covers the beer, food, supplies, and whatever it takes to put on this great event. Please RSVP at ales4females@gmail.com.

Jan 29 – Beer and Cheese Paring at Great Divide – Denver, CO – Try five artisan cheeses accompanied by five tasty Great Divide beers for only $10, starting at 5pm. RSVP@ info@greatdivide.com. www.greatdivide.com

Jan 30: Micro Brew Review and Cool Dog Ball - Helena, MT - Join Cinderella and her amber-glass slippers to dance the night away. Who knows, maybe you’ll find your new true love lager! The event takes place at the Helena Civic Center Ballroom from 6:00 till the strike of midnight. Limited attendance, so purchase your advanced tickets available Jan 5th. More info at www.downtownhelena.com

Feb 6: Odell Dinner in Denver at Brauns – Denver, CO - Beer reception at 6:00, followed by seated 5-course dinner at 6:30 paired with Odell beers. Limited seating so call ahead! $50 a seat. Call: 720-932-0707 for reservations. www.odellbrewing.com, www.braunsbarandgrill.com.

Feb 8: Big Sky Brewing Company v. Bitterroot Brewing Company Hockey Team – Missoula, MT – Come see the brewing teams battle it out on the ice. Game starts at 7:15 at Glacier Ice Rink. www.bigskybrew.com

Feb 20: Rocky Mountain Microbrewery Symposium – Colorado Springs, CO - A symposium put on by brewers, for brewers; take a Friday off to eat, drink, and learn! Held at University of Colorado at Colorado Springs campus, this year’s event will have some exceptional speakers including Charlie Bamforth, and others covering the such topics as water chemistry, hops, draft QC, and business economics. Find out more at: http://www.uccs.edu/~rmms/index.php

Feb 21: The 5th Annual Firkin Rendezvous at Bristol Brewing – Colorado Springs, CO - Come indulge in several beers straight from the cask, from 1 – 5pm. Admission: $25 in advanced, $30 at the door, gets you unlimited delicious beer and food. http://www.bristolbrewing.com/

Feb 22 - Denver Mandolin Orchestra at Wynkoop – Denver, CO - Spend a casual Sunday evening taking in the beautiful mandolin music of the DMO, with up to 20 mandolins in concert. This concert is free and starts at 7pm as part of a monthly series. Find out more and download tunes at www.denvermandolin.com

Feb 27-28: 7th Annual Boulder Strong Ale Fest – Boulder, CO - Featuring 60+ of the finest high gravity draft beers from across America, all above 8% abv. All beers will be available at the start both sessions to ensure everyone gets a taste. $25 at the door gains you entry, a commemorative tasting glass, and sixteen, 2oz pour, tasting tickets. Additional sample tickets are two for $1. There are no advance ticket sales to this event. Proceeds will go to Local Charities. Event takes place: Friday, February 27th: 4:00pm-10:00pm, Saturday February 28th: Noon-6:00pm, at Harpo’s Sports Grill 2860 Arapahoe Avenue. More info at: www.harpossportsgrill.com and www.averybrewing.com

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We visited the shop in Tlaquepaque recently. It was 7 pm on a Saturday,we were the only people there.

The beer we had didn't come with the foam shown in Brewmaster's avatar. In fact,the beer tasted fairly flat.

Also,I think it was weak-I was drinking stout. If I had had the same quantity of Guiness,my husband would have had to call the ambulance for me.But I barely felt it.

The beer had good flavor,but we were a bit disappointed.

Hello:

Actually i saw your group, and i told my waiter if you have any complaining about the service, or the beer and he told me that everything was fine, besides that you try our regular stout, that is very consistent in the flavor, body and head, but compared to guiness that it has more than 300 years making it and selling it worldwide, of course it is flat, because we do not want to clone recipes, we want to make a signature of our beers.

I hope, if you have the time to try our seasonals, change your mind; we have a winter stout that is three times more strong than our regular and our black ship pirate stout, released this weekend, it has coriander, orange peel, and cloves in the beer.

I hope that all you group enjoyed all the other beers.

Best Regards.

Enrique.

We visited the shop in Tlaquepaque recently. It was 7 pm on a Saturday,we were the only people there.

The beer we had didn't come with the foam shown in Brewmaster's avatar. In fact,the beer tasted fairly flat.

Also,I think it was weak-I was drinking stout. If I had had the same quantity of Guiness,my husband would have had to call the ambulance for me.But I barely felt it.

The beer had good flavor,but we were a bit disappointed.

I'll admit to trying the Tlaquepaque location once. The beer was flat and didn't taste like any beer I had ever experienced anywhere in the world. I have no desire to return.

In all fairness maybe you should give the new pub another chance when it opens here in the near future. As a homebrewer and craft beer enthusiast I found the beers I tried in Tlaquepaque were first rate.

If you choose not to return, we'll all look forward to your not being there.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello:

I havent updated this post lately, but finally we got the license, and right now we are finishing to decorate the place, we hope to open as soon as possible. And thanks again for asking.

Brewmaster, is there any updated information on your grand opening? We were hoping to visit your new pub before we return to the US in mid-February.

• 2 weeks later...

Brewmaster,

-any new ideas on when you might be opening?? I can't wait to have a brewpub just 3 blocks from my house! Could be dangerous for my health.

-also, I would like to direct you to the Dry Dock microbrew website, here in Denver. What might be unique here is they give their recipes for their brews.

Dry Dock Brewing

Dry Dock's Urca Vanilla Porter is outstanding and has won many awards. Also, their Coffee Stout (the original) is also just outstanding. While the Coffee Stout is not listed under recipes I bet they would email it to you. At some point in the future, maybe you would like to try these brews?

Also, you stout drinkers out there---know what goes extremely well with a stout? cheesecake! That's right, a stout and cheesecake for desert! yummee :rolleyes:

Hello:

Thanks for your comments and i saw the link to the webpage, and as you said, maybe we would be making one of this brews, like a seasonal, it is interesting that a micro share their recipes, because it is well known, that all brewers are very caution, with his work. But it is a real effort to put the micros on stage, i recently come back from texas, and I saw that Budweiser is getting crafty, right now are planning to use their MICHELOB brand, and make ALES, to try to compite against the microbeweries, that has been growing in the states and taking the market from theirs. When i have more time I will put the entire newspaper note.

And i saw in a English website, that the stout is either well pairing with a chocolate cake, or fondue du Chocolate. I try myself the fondue, and it is very interesting the flavors of the beer, the fruits and the chocolate itself ( i prefer darker and bitter chocolate). On Thursday i will tell you exactly the day of the grand opening, thanks for your interest.

Henry

Brewmaster,

-any new ideas on when you might be opening?? I can't wait to have a brewpub just 3 blocks from my house! Could be dangerous for my health.

-also, I would like to direct you to the Dry Dock microbrew website, here in Denver. What might be unique here is they give their recipes for their brews.

Dry Dock Brewing

Dry Dock's Urca Vanilla Porter is outstanding and has won many awards. Also, their Coffee Stout (the original) is also just outstanding. While the Coffee Stout is not listed under recipes I bet they would email it to you. At some point in the future, maybe you would like to try these brews?

Also, you stout drinkers out there---know what goes extremely well with a stout? cheesecake! That's right, a stout and cheesecake for desert! yummee :rolleyes:

Thanks for your time and we hope to see you at the grand opening.

The Beer Lounge will be open at february 26 at 3:00 pm, the address is: Carretera Chapala - Jocotepec #141-D entre Juárez y Aquiles Serdán

Right now we are only offering some of the brews, but in March we will have all the styles I mentioned.

Henry

The Beer Lounge will be open at february 26 at 3:00 pm, the address is: Carretera Chapala - Jocotepec #141-D entre Juárez y Aquiles Serdán

Right now we are only offering some of the brews, but in March we will have all the styles I mentioned.

Henry

That's great! Will you also have any food or snacks to eat? What are your hours you are open?

Well actually we will have some free snacks, but right now we are designing the food menu, i thinck the last week of march or the first of april we wll have available the kitchen. Thanks.

Henry.

That's great! Will you also have any food or snacks to eat? What are your hours you are open?

So where is this at? I see the address but don't know where that is at. Could someone tell me where this is?

Thanks,

Another Drunk, I mean, beer affecianodo ;)

On the Carretera just west of Serape Restaurant, newish building with four commercial units.

So where is this at? I see the address but don't know where that is at. Could someone tell me where this is?

Thanks,

It is next to El Serape on the west- across the street from the new bagel shop.

We will be walking over next Thursday- love having a brew pub so close by.

My husband just finished brewing a keg of his own beer and hopes to meet more brewmasters at the Beer Lounge.

maw

Thanks,

About 2-3 blocks west of Colon on the carretera, on the south side of the street across from the new bagel shop and directly next to El Serape Restaurant. ENJOY!

Henry

Are you still planning on opening today? If so we will be there to help celebrate the first day!!!

:ph34r: Did the Beer Lounge open today as advertised? Any comments? :ph34r:

Guest Basulto
Yes they opened yersterday....its a nice place with good beer....my favorite was Porter with some free delicious spanish tapas...today they will have more beer styles.....hope to see you there.

How is the beer sold individual bottles on tap ?? how much does it cost. I am thinking about stopping by to take some home

B

Yes they opened yersterday....its a nice place with good beer....my favorite was Porter with some free delicious spanish tapas...today they will have more beer styles.....hope to see you there.

I wish I was there but I'm currently in Denver for a while. Hope to give the place lots of business in the future as I live just 2 blocks away. Why home brew with a place like this so close? <_<

How is the beer sold individual bottles on tap ?? how much does it cost. I am thinking about stopping by to take some home

B

Brew Pubs in Denver don't sell bottles, they just sell pints in a glass. For take out, they sell "growlers" (1/2 gallon jugs) to go. Is this how the Beer Lounge sells their beer??

Thanks.

Spouse and I spent a wonderful hour and a half at the Microbrewery in Ajijic this afternoon. We were the only folks there and Henry, the owner, sat down and told us all about the establishment and all about BEER!

This guy has encyclopedic knowledge of the world of beer and beer making.

His story was fascinating.

We ordered the sampler for 65 pesos we got 6 glasses of different beers. The glasses were bigger than we'd anticipated....so spouse took a while to down them. He pronounced each and everyone to be worthy of a prize!

Henry included a plate of nice tapas.

I hope this place 'makes it' here in Ajijic.....as well as the one in Tlaquepaque has done.

He even has a painting of St Arnold......the Brewmasters Saint!!!

All the best to you Henry!

Archived