Chapala.com Webboard

Has anyone been to Herb Hazen's Tapas place lately?

tigerlily

Where is it and what are the prices ? How much is an Estrella/Corona ?

I doubt that they serve Estrella or Corona. They do have Irish stout and Belgian wheat beer. It is a place where you should be ready to pay 40-70 pesos for a beer or glass of wine, and 30-120 pesos for a tapas. It is not a bar for hanging out all afternoon, it is a Spanish tapas restaurant with very nice food and drink.

I doubt that they serve Estrella or Corona. They do have Irish stout and Belgian wheat beer. It is a place where you should be ready to pay 40-70 pesos for a beer or glass of wine, and 30-120 pesos for a tapas. It is not a bar for hanging out all afternoon, it is a Spanish tapas restaurant with very nice food and drink.

The tapas are very good, the portions quite small, the drinks expensive but good. Nice place to visit, excellent atmosphere. NOB prices IMO. The service was also very good. I believe he is only open 3 nights a week, but don't quote me.

If you decide to go there for dinner be prepared to order a lot of tapas, or make a sandwich when you get home.

Guest RevImmigrant

Tapas restaurants all tend to be expensive and, yes, the tapas come in small portions. I had lunch in a tapas restaurant in Berlin 2 weeks ago and had 3 types of cold tapas (olives, manchego cheese and sun dried tomatoes), 2 types of warm tapas (albondigas in sauce, small shrimp in oil and garlic) and an order of saffron rice with coffee and it cost 20 Euros (about $30 USD). The food was OK, but not great and nothing I can't make better at home. I won't go back.

Guest verchiel

Herb's place is a great way to have a light supper. Food is wonderful ... he's a skilled chef. If you dine out only by price, then there are other options, but Herb's place is unique for our area and deserves support.

Guest N5129R

My understanding, after doing some Google, is that Tapas are not intended as a meal but rather they are a wide variety of small dishes and appetizers often served in Spanish bars and restaurants as hors-d'oeuvres or cocktail snacks.

The latter part is from a food site.

• 1 year later...

I was there a little over a week ago and they were still open and he was talking about expanding the days he opens.

Guest verchiel

Herb's a great chef and a meal of tapas is comparable to meals at other upscale restaurants in Ajijic. It's a nice option to have in the area. It's on the corner of the street that runs down to the lake from beside Guadalajara Pharmacy and September 16th. Bright orange little place.

It is right on the corner before the Nueva Posada (esq. 16 de Sept).

I love Herb's Tapas but it's not the most real Tapas but close enough. I enjoy tapas style dining in the states and beyond whenever possible. It's more pricey but I find it much more enjoyable than bulk food portions and I especially like the near endless variety. Herbs is limited. My favorite tapas style dinning is when each guest gets a stack of ten or so empty little white 3 inch plates. The smallesh food sampler dishes are brought out one at a time and everybody at the table gets a little by dragging some onto a fresh empty plate. I usually tell the waiter to bring out a new food dish as we empty them, one at a time, and keep bringing them until we say stop, alternating from hot to cold. My personal favorite Tapas restaurant is Cafe BabaReBas (pictured) originally from Chicago but now in Las Vegas too. Very pricey but very good.

2680612439_e0923c8899_b.jpg

I love Herb's Tapas but it's not the most real Tapas but close enough. I enjoy tapas style dining in the states and beyond whenever possible. It's more pricey but I find it much more enjoyable than bulk food portions and I especially like the near endless variety. Herbs is limited. My favorite tapas style dinning is when each guest gets a stack of ten or so empty little white 3 inch plates. The smallesh food sampler dishes are brought out one at a time and everybody at the table gets a little by dragging some onto a fresh empty plate. I usually tell the waiter to bring out a new food dish as we empty them, one at a time, and keep bringing them until we say stop, alternating from hot to cold. My personal favorite Tapas restaurant is Cafe BabaReBas (pictured) originally from Chicago but now in Las Vegas too. Very pricey but very good.

2680612439_e0923c8899_b.jpg

OK, that brings back memories - my old neighborhood but I left Chicago in l979 and only went back to visit parents, etc. Didn't he used to be on Lincoln? I don't remember Halsted and Armitage as the original location... and having visited there two years ago - the changes are astounding. Not all good. Clybourn and other areas look just like the suburbs... Chain stores everywhere. Fortunately the original mom & pop grocery store is still on Wrightwood....

<!--quoteo(post=71557:date=May 25 2008, 01:55 PM:name=tigerlily)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (tigerlily @ May 25 2008, 01:55 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=71557"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->How are the Tapas? Hours? Prices for Tapas? Prices for drinks?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Charming and pricey.

Cute but true. Herb's never claimed to be a bargain establishment. But his food is great. We ate there a couple of weeks ago and for the two of us it was something like $350 pesos including a couple of glasses of wine. We were satisfied and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves.

• 3 years later...

Archived