Chapala.com Webboard

Rosetta Stone dvd.

RosesAllYear

It is, but there is a problem for some of us: They only copied the PC version! We also bought a copy and had to take it back when we discovered that they did not copy the Mac version on the DVD.

It is, but there is a problem for some of us: They only copied the PC version! We also bought a copy and had to take it back when we discovered that they did not copy the Mac version on the DVD.

Well that sucks...hope the guy makes some compatible ones for the Mac.

i'm moving to lakeside in a couple of weeks and need to take spanish since my last class was in 1964. would you folks recommend the rosetta CD over a language class? what might be the upside and downside to each?

thanks!

The current Mac operating system is OS-X and Rosetta Stone, like most dvd programs, includes versions for Mac as well as PC. That's the extent of my software knowledge.

• 4 weeks later...

ethics regarding pirated software/music/movies:

I had such a struggle regarding the decisions to purchase (or not) a pirated copy of Rosetta Stone in the Market. Finally, my conscience won out.

Having worked 32 weeks, without a day off... never less than 10 hours a day... in order to get a software product to market... I have an idea of how many 10s of Millions of dollars went into producing such a product, how many hundreds of people were employed.

I pay for downloading my music from i-tunes as well. I admire Artists and Musicians who most often live a frugal life so that they can focus on their art. When they have a hit, they finally get compensated.

Movies are another topic. I did watch Juno when I was at a friends house in Ajijic this past January. I figured out that it must be a pirated copy considering the movie was playing at a theatre in the area. I am no Saint... I enjoyed the movie. I am gonna have a hard time struggling with that when I live permanently in town.

It is tough, isn't it? In Ajijic, everthing is so accessable...where in the States or Canada you have to work a little harder to obtain pirated technology. It is easier to take the moral high-road when the temptation is not waved infront of your face every day.

Rosetta Stone is really expensive. So are the movies. It is easy to rationalize. I guess each person has to decide for themselves.

Not judging... just struggling.

The other side of one's conscience is somewhat soothed, or not, by the fact that many of the pirated movies were obviously supplied by people within the very industry which complains of pirating. First run movies are often available on the street at the time of release in theaters and the pirated copies will have, "For screening purposes only," or other 'insider' notices, telling you which studio the original belonged to, popping up from time to time as you watch. That tells me that some 'insider' probably whisked an early copy off to China, Mexico or a cellar in Hollywood, where it was suddenly cloned, fanned out around the world and multiplied like proverbial rabbits within days. That doesn't make it right; it's just the way it is.

I bought the rosetta stone at the tienge also and can't get it to work on my pc laptop. It has the following written on top of the dvd in magic marker: V.6.0

Does anyone have any ideas as to how I can get it to work?

Archived