Jump to content
Chapala.com Webboard

Search the Community

Showing results for tags 'resident visa?'.

  • Search By Tags

    Type tags separated by commas.
  • Search By Author

Content Type


  • Chapala.com Webboard
    • Ajijic/Chapala/Guadalajara
    • Let's Talk About our Furry and Feathered Friends
    • Mexico General
    • Customs and Immigration
    • La Cocina
    • Charitable and Other Events Upcoming
    • Lakeside Restaurant/Bistro Happenings
    • Lake Chapala Society
    • American Legion
    • Learning Spanish
    • Lago de Chapala
  • Classifieds
    • Automobiles
    • Computers & Software
    • General Merchandise
    • Pets & Supplies
    • Collectibles

Find results in...

Find results that contain...

Date Created

  • Start


Last Updated

  • Start


Filter by number of...


  • Start





Website URL







Found 1 result

  1. Greetings! I've already received a lot of clarification through this webboard - so thanks! Here is our situation. I am moving with my aunt to the Chapala area so that she can move into a nursing home in San Antonio. I have a place to stay through February and have been checking rental options and am confident that I can find something by March. She gets $1845 a month in Social Security. I get roughly $1250 but have savings that I can draw from if need be. I am worried that immigration might not grant us temporary or permanent residence because we don't have enough money. If we have managed until now to live in the US with this income, I know we can manage in Chapala! What concerns me is that I don't want to turn into one of those gringas who stays on a tourist visa indefinitely as I do plan to live in Mexico. More concerning still is I can't expect to drag my poor aunt from the nursing home up to Ciudad Juarez/El Paso to get her tourist visa stamped every six months. How can anyone expect an elderly person to do that? I have asked previously about power of attorney and understand that with US power of attorney I shouldn't have any trouble getting similar documents in Mexico. My next question is: If my aunt can't get temporary or permanent residence, can I bring her visa with me as her power of attorney when I go to renew mine if I can't get some kind of resident visa? What if she can't get residence and I can and explain that I am responsible for her and will compensate financially for anything that her social security check can't cover. Is that an option? Now that the new level of care my aunt needs is beyond our financial means, I am so happy to have found her a lovely place to live out her last years. I too am looking forward to a more relaxed and pleasant lifestyle in the future and, from what I have seen, heard and read, Chapala really does offer that. Any advice will be greatly appreciated! Many thanks in advance!
  • Create New...