Jump to content
Chapala.com Webboard


  • Posts

  • Joined

  • Days Won


Everything posted by Hud

  1. If I show a US driver's license, in the US, I am not on vacation from Mexico. Your US driver's license has your current address (and MUST be corrected within 2 weeks of a move). Think about that. If you are living in another country, then that address is where you live and your US address is incorrect, so your DL is invalid, no?
  2. To me, the easiest way around any problem is to show a US passport(or Canadian) upon entry to the US, and if you have a Mexican plated car, then you need a Mexican driver's license. That DL shows you are a resident and living in Mexico, not currently living in the US. Everyone is happy. When you show a US driver's license, that shows that you are currently living in the US( because it is current and your address has to be correct), and therein lies the problem with the Mexican plated car. When you are not in your car NOB, you can use your other DL for ID, etc. Seems simple to me. Do what you like.
  3. BTW, those who have a problem with the BP agents at the Bridge asking about beer/liquor, because it is a state tax. Go ahead and say you don't have any (when you do) and let them pull you over, search, and find it. Then, you will know what they can actually do , or not do. Call that bluff !
  4. They do not "enforce" state laws, they just turn you over to the state police if they believe you are subject to state laws. Personal experience. I don't have a source on the mountain pass, sorry. Maybe Tom does. I'm just saying what we have been told at the Border, that a legal, permanent resident of the US cannot have a Mexican plated car while living in the US. How do they know I lived in the US? I showed then my driver's license, when I was asked for it, which showed we were legal, permanent residents of Texas, with my correct address, when they questioned. Hey, do what you like, I do. Follow the rules, or don't. That is something you need to decide for yourself. Don't like what I post, ignore it. That is what I do when I read something that you post and I don't like it. OR, check it out for yourself, then you will know for sure, and you will not have to depend on what others say.
  5. I believe that only citizens of foreign countries are allowed to drive foreign plated cars into the US. Otherwise, with the peso like it is, there would be a lot of new cars bought in Mexico and driven to the US. Don't get stopped by a state hwy patrol, using a US driver's license. Will he just give a ticket, or impound?
  6. I believe that replies only to citizens of foreign countries. Makes sense to me.
  7. Mexican citizens that enter the US with a Mexican plated car have no issues. US citizens can not own a Mexican plated car in the US. I think most US police have not encountered this before, but I believe that soon that will change, and the law will be enforced.
  8. Maybe you should check the law to see if an American citizen or green card holder can legally have a foreign plated car in the US. They told my wife, a green card holder at the time, that she could not have her car in the US because it was Mexican plated and she was a legal US resident. I think that if you show a US driver's license, that says you are a legal US resident, and most states only give you 2 weeks to change your legal residency on your driver's license, You could have a problem. Of course, if you never get stopped by US police, then probably you will not have a problem. I can imagine the problems when responding to a state hwy patrol when he asks " is this address your current address" when you show him your DL when driving a Mexican plated car.
  9. Please explain the brush with "banditos" and when and where it happened. Thank you.
  10. Pedro, I use a Banorte bank in Leon, Gto. and I usually get on a Saturday afternoon. I pay a fee of 46 pesos (not refunded by 360, which gives me a better exchange rate than my Schwab, and I come out better) but that is only about $2.50 usd. I first check my balance, then I can get  18,000 pesos at a time), no problem (never tried for more). Never used another bank atm, as this one is very close and I don't have to drive far.

  11. We bought 6 last November for 400-450 pesos each in Patzcuaro, from Adame Family. Use as gifts NOB and for beds here.. These were "matrimonial", and we turn them sideways and they fit nicely on our King beds. We like to visit Patzcuaro for 2-3 days every 2-3 months, as we like it there.
  12. For quality , price, and selection, Patzcuaro can't be beat. Adame Family is the best choice.
  13. A few years ago, we drove my wife's Mexican plated car into Texas. They asked at the Laredo crossing whose car it was and I said it was hers. They asked where we lived (Texas) and said that a Green Card holder could not legally have a Mexican plated car in the US. I said that we were going to get my car from the repair shop in Mexico and would be bringing it back in 4 months. They let us pass.
  14. suegarn, why is it any of your concern what modeeper does? Are you everyone's conscience ? Here is what he asked for: " any non-wiseguy advice? " His values do not have to be your values.
  15. Mo, when you want to leave, just leave. Remember, they are usually not going to stop you and ask for your papers, etc. when you are headed out, unless you do something dumb. Only on the US side. If you have nowhere to land, why would you head out?
  16. Mo, if I were in your place, I would stay where you are and really make an effort to stay out of trouble, and be ready to pay a mordida, if you get stopped in your car. Since you will not lose your deposit, all you need worry about is your car being impounded and you being deported. Neither very likely to happen unless you do something really dumb. So, go for it. Good luck.
  17. In all my years in Mexico, all my eye exams have been free, there was only a charge for glasses, if needed. Mike needs to work on his English, a little.
  18. MC, do you have your water tested by someone "independent" of those who installed it?
  19. It would really be beneficial (Sonia and Spencer) for you to tell us WHAT the rules say about getting a tourist visa after you have had one for 180 days that has expired. I believe that rule would solve any concern here.
  20. I still have a feeling that returning the next day(or the next shift) will get you another 6 months.
  21. 250p in home is "standard"? Not by my standards. Speak only for your experiences, not mine, ok?
  22. Agree with Alan. Go straight through town, much better and faster.
  • Create New...