Jump to content
Chapala.com Webboard


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

0 Neutral

About telcoman

  • Rank

Contact Methods

  • Website URL
  • Skype

Profile Information

  • Gender
  • Location
    Abbotsford, BC, Canada & Mexico 6 mnth / 6mnth
  1. Car dollies: Anyone using one, and do you register it at the border? I will be towing a Honda Fit with my motorhome, but I need a 10 year tip on the motorhome as I want to leave it in Mexico. If they add the dolly chances are it will become a 180 day. That is what happened when I towed a cargo trailer in. I may put a bolt on hitch onto the Honda and add it to that one's 180 day, if I have to. I could tow it home empty even with a car that small. The dolly has no place to mount a plate. It needs one in BC. I have it in my glovebox. I would prefer to leave it with the motorhome in Mexico. I will be buying a mexican plated vehicle once I get residente, and may want to use it still.
  2. I may have one to sell this winter. I just bought one to tow a car down for this season. I intend to leave my motorhome in the Guadalajara area and drive the car home. This may be the only time I use it as I am planning to get residente and buy a car in Mexico. I will only be using my motorhome to drive back and forth to the coast and it may be easier for my wife to drive a car separate. The dolly has no place to put a plate even though I have one for it. I am thinking of not mentioning it when I come into mexico. I do not want it added to the motorhome as a trailer and the motorhome get slapped with an 180 day TIP. It has surge disk brakes. So I am not sure what will happen with it until its time to head north in March. There is also a possibility of co-owning it if I wanted to use one occasionally, especially if you are willing to store it in the Chapala area or you are coming down for the season and then staying put. Anyway get in touch and if you haven't had any luck by early spring, lets talk. USA cell 360-483-7933 Mex cell 967-102-4085 (both work in Canada). (I paid $900 Canadian for the dolly and put $300 US into it with new tires and new ramps that updates it to the current model see https://cartowdolly.com/. So my total cost was about $1050 US. It sells new for just under $2000. I do have to have some loops welded to line up the wheels on my honda fit. If you think this may work out, let me know the distance center to center of your front tires and I will have loops welded to match that as well. When I bought the kit they sent a few loops. Hard to explain what I am talking about and I am 3000 miles from home right now so cant take pictures. It came with plastic portable ramps that did not look great (https://www.mexicocaravans.com/ramps.jpg ) so I bought the other type
  3. The car won't be leaving mexico, storing it in my brothe rin laws garage while flying out. I did actually drive my truck back home one christmas and reenter on the same TIP & tourist card. I always cancel the TIP on leaving mexico even with a 10 year. I have seen the scenario you describe more than once. I am now hearing you can actually can have a foreign plated RV in mexico under a 10 year TIP with residente permanente status. if true I do need to confirm this but that is what is looks like on the SATsite and I know a couple that are doing that. I need to have my Mexican partner call SAT and confirm or debunk that. Under regs for cars, they distinctly state you cannot have a foreign plated car when you have permanente. In the section on Casa Rodantes there is no mention of it. Its a new one on me. and Sonia too, if true. I suspect you cannot get a 10 year if you already have permanente, but I am thinking if you already have it, they dont care. Probably can't renew it. If you can read Spanish check it out. Its there in English as well, but I dont trust anything but the spanish version. A mistranslation on truck weights on the banjercito site has caused all sorts of issues with that issue. http://omawww.sat.gob.mx/aduanas/vehiculos/importacion_temporal/Paginas/automoviles.aspx http://omawww.sat.gob.mx/aduanas/vehiculos/importacion_temporal/Paginas/casas_rodantes.aspx
  4. yes but no plate mount, I just carry it in the glove box. In Bc they have to be licensed
  5. just 10 years would work. I am 70, by the time I am 80 I wont care about Rving. it would be nice to be able to leave it in mexico and go straight to residente permanente without having to remove it or nationalize it. I took it out last year and cancelled the 10 year on it. I was going to bring it in this year under my wifes name. Towing a car, but I would use that to get back to Canada 6 months later. I would like to leave the tow dolly down but I may be forced to tow that back with the car (honda fit) , empty.
  6. I will be looking for an older one around 3K, I don't want to have to bother with anything exceptt liability
  7. hmm I just had something pointed out to me on facebook. The Sat regs mention restrictions on automobiles with regard to permanente, but not Motorhomes RVS cars/trucks Could just be an omission
  8. I may want to do this. It is a rental return and only worth about $25 K right now. Wondering what the cost would be. If I get residente temporal I woudl have to do this after 4 years
  9. oh boy this is depressing. I was going to get residente temp or perm and go on imss. I am usually in mexico 6 months a year. Been covered until this dec through my wifes work. Wondering if my wife on tourist visa could go under me. Anyone know that? I am thinking of just good evac insurance and paying up front. Canadian medicare will pay some. premiums for travel medical are real high in canada esp after 71 and you have anything wrong like diabetes. (even controlled by diet) It would be nice if they offered cheaper with just emerg, rather than all the other stuff bundled in I could easily pay for upfront. Even a high deductible does not lower it much
  10. Thanks sonia. 3 years ago you answered the question about whether you could leave car in mexico under a 180 permit while you flew home temporarily. I am assuming you still can. As long as it leaves before the 180 days. That is what you pay the $400 for I have done this on a couple of occasions with no problem. One year i drove it to canada and back within the 180 days. Last year I flew to colombia (mex city) over christmas. The guy at the airport saw I had drivien in and sent me to the aduana. He just stamped the tourist card without asking to see the TIP.
  11. I think I may have my partner call the contact sonya mentioned and see if there is anyway to get that in writing
  12. so this still does not address the question of flying home and back when you have a car under a 180 day tip. I assume as long as the car is removed before the tIp expires thta is all they care about. A lot of conflicting info on this one. Or do you have go the aduana at the airport when you get back and let them know you have a new tourist card? Last year I flew out to Colombia and they sent me over to customs and the guy just initialed without looking at any vehicle permit. I had just a 10 year mootrhome that time. This year I will have a 10 year motorhome and a car.
  13. I usually have people asking me vehicle questions, now I have one. I want to leave my motorhome in mexico and tow a car down this year to drive back. Issue is it is on a dolly. Anyone know if I have to add the dolly to the TIP. That is an issue if its the motorhome, as I need a 10 year permit. I would like to leave it down there, but I am thinking I may have to get a bumper hitch for my Honda Fit and add it to that 180 day and tow it home. Unloaded, it should tow OK. I am wondering if I should simply not mention it. I was going to do the vehicles on line anyway. Anyone have any experience?
  14. OK here si another question can you sign up while a residente visa is pending. IE you have the special stamp in your passport. I may get permanente and have my wife get temporado which is good for 4 years, We would have to remove our RV at that time..
  15. Afraid of that. my temptation is to just rely on what my home province will pay, and get really good evac insurance. I suppse at least I coudl go under seguros which would make it a bit cheaper and I am 6 years older than my wife.
  • Create New...