Jump to content
Chapala.com Webboard


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by BobC

  1. I'm sure you will find that travel insurance bought in Canada can only cover you for a trip that originates in Canada.
  2. When we were down there, I just used Skype to call 1-800 numbers. No problems sorting out banking and other issues back home. Bob
  3. We live near Ottawa and we have taken documents for ourselves and overseas Canadian friends into the Department of Foreign Affairs-- now the Department of Global Affairs-- where they have a number of windows for the authenticating of documents like birth certificates, etc. I think there is a small charge, but it is pretty quick and painless. I believe documents can also be authenticated by mail. I'm sure the details are on their website. Bob EDIT: Here's an outfit I found online. I know nothing else about them other than what you see on their website. http://www.redsealnotary.com/apostille-canada.html Actually, you can get a ton of info just by Googling "apostille Canada"
  4. For newbies, something we learned the hard way when we were down there a couple of years ago: the first time I used my ATM card hours after arriving there is that the sequence of actions with the machine there was different from our bank up here. At our bank, you must remove your card before the machine will dispense your cash. The first time I used a machine down there, I was tired from the long drive down and not exactly thinking straight and automatically took my money and walked away, leaving my card in the machine. It was at the HSBC branch in Chapala. We went back the next day but they automatically destroy cards left in the machines. Fortunately, my wife had her card with her, because when I informed our bank, they said that they could only send a new card to our home address. Just a heads up if anyone else's home bank machines are the same as ours.
  5. Try this forum as well. It has a ton of information on downloading, using (including tutorials) etc. I had trouble after installing 10 and posted my problem and one of them gave me the solution, which was an updated driver. http://www.tenforums.com/ Bob
  6. The 3-month wait is standard across the country-- if you move from one province to another, the previous province covers you until the new coverage kicks in. Coming in from outside the country, whether as a citizen or immigrant, one can and should purchase private insurance for the waiting period. In our experience, it is remarkably inexpensive. We brought my wife's then 92-year-old grandmother, who had been living in the US for years, back to Canada to live with us after she fell and broke a hip. We held our breath when we inquired about private insurance. We were surprised at how little it cost. That was almost 25 years ago, but my recollection is something like a couple of hundred dollars. We had a similar experience when we returned home 8 years ago after living overseas for several years. Again, only a few hundred dollars. However, in the interest of full disclosure, I recall nothing about any exclusions, deductibles, etc. Also, the coverage didn't include prescription drugs. Fortunately, we had a drug plan with my wife's pension that kicked in as soon as we crossed the border. In any case, I think all provinces cover most, if not all drugs for anyone over 65.
  7. Another factor in Canada is that we were always envious of Americans who could deduct their mortgage payments from income tax. We couldn't, so there was a real incentive to pay your mortgage off-- although not everybody did. But people who bought houses 20 years ago for 150K, now find they are living in houses worth at least 500K and, in places like Vancouver, maybe close to a million. All they had to do was take out a homeowner line of credit for $200 a month at today's interest rates to buy a place in Arizona or wherever. Added Later: The big weakness in our market now is that houses have been priced out of the reach of the next generation of potential buyers. This is going to have dire consequences for the market before too long. Bob
  8. Actually, with very few exceptions, Canadian property values have not suffered any significant recent declines at all. And, of course, some areas like Toronto, Edmonton, Calgary, and, above all, Vancouver, have been rising crazily for years. A lot of people in Alberta, British Columbia and Ontario were buying up houses in Arizona and Florida at dirt cheap prices before US prices started to recover. So, they get the best of both worlds: Candian summers and American winters. And they get to keep their "free" healthcare. No real need for large numbers to go to Mexico any more. Bob
  9. You are reimbursed up to more or less the amount that they would have paid for the same thing in Canada--although I think Ontario, for instance, will only reimburse something like $50 a day for hospital. (But you have to pay up front and claim back so need to have a line of credit, or credit card with a good limit.) So, getting sick in Mexico is at least not the disaster it is to get sick or injured in the US because Mexico is not so expensive. The problem is that if you drive down, you can buy relatively cheap insurance for that leg in the US. BUT, all trips must originate in Canada, so in order to be covered for the drive back, you need to cover yourself for the entire time you are away. One company to look into is called Travel+Med out of Quebec. We got a really good deal with them. But costs depend on so many things-- age, etc.--that you can't say one is cheaper than another. Another to look into is Travel Underwriters in Richmond BC. They actually provide the coverage for CAA, Presidents Choice and many others. Another is Medipac. They cover all retired military and civil service people but also offer coverage to others. All can be accessed online. A word of caution, however: You must not tell the slightest lie or innacuracy on the application. If they find out, it is grounds to deny any claim. Bob
  10. For a non-resident, which it sounds like you are, only Canadian-sourced income is taxable and, for a resident of Mexico, that would be at the rate of 15%. Withholding that would be the responsibility of your employer. How, exactly, that would be remitted, is another question. Presumably, their accountant would be able to advise them. I'm sure it wouldn't be exactly the same as for a Canadian resident. How it is done if you are self-employed, I don't know. When I was working, we used to occasionally bring in Americans to speak to seminars and courses. We were not their "employer" per se but we were still responsible for collecting and remitting the 15% on their fees. They would then be able to credit that money towards their US taxes paid under the terms of the tax treaty. If you wanted to be squeaky-clean, I would think the same would apply in Mexico--that is, you would have to report the income to Mexican authorities, but would get credit for the taxes paid in Canada. But Mexican tax law may be different. It certainly does sound like a situation where you need some professional advice or at least some information from the Canadian government. Maybe the consulate in Guadalajara can help.
  • Create New...