Chapala.com Webboard

Carless -- Help Needed

John Galt

We had to drive our US plated car back to the states, so we are now here without a vehicle. As soon as we can we will be looking for a car.

I the meantime, we are roughing with the bus. It is tough when we have packages as only so much can be carried on the bus. One of us has knee damage, so it makes the whole process more difficult.

If anyone is doing any errands in either direction, towards Chapala or Ajijic, we'd appreciate a ride or help picking up some items. We are in Riberas very close to Moma's.

Also, if anyone is going to Costco or Sam's anytime, same request. We need some things from there.

Would be nice to know more of our neighbors in Riberas as we haven't been in this place very long.

Hi John , I am a resident of San Antonio Tlayacapan , maybe I can help occasionally to move you between Chapala and Ajijic , welcome to the Lake Chapala and whish you have a good stay.

John, you might find a nice used car at a good price right there at the car wash Moyoyo in Riberas. Definitely worth a look.

He mostly has Honda CRVs because they are highly preferred here for their handling of the bad roads and topes and their ability to carry a lot of stuff when one needs to.

I also recommend S&S auto as the best place to purchase a car. Great service.

I understand the bus problem when there are knee issues. Taxis here are not overly expensive and there is often one ready to go in front if you're buying groceries at Walmart.

There is also a car rental man who has a good range of vehicles at different price levels. Someone probably will chime in with his contact number.

For Costco and Sam's shopping, there is a woman who takes orders weekly from her website shopping list and will deliver to your door for a reasonable fee.

Good luck and welcome!

50 pesos from Wal-mart to our house for about a 7 minute ride. Just doesn't seem that cheap and there is no negotiating. They have a system of whose turn it is, so you can't just go to the next guy for a better rate. The bus ride is 7 pesos, so we try to use it instead of a cab. When you have your own car, you don't think much about going back and forth for errands, but if you get a cab each time, it really adds up.

We have checked into this. Car rental is about $35 USD a day. If you do that for a month, it's like renting another house. Quite expensive just to get some groceries and other occasional errands.

I have checked into Cynthia Ornelas, Personal Assistant for errands. That may be reasonable if we need things from Sam or Costco and a sufficient amount to justify the expense.

We will buying a car, but really need to wait until our US cars are sold, etc.

Hi John , I am a resident of San Antonio Tlayacapan , maybe I can help occasionally to move you between Chapala and Ajijic , welcome to the Lake Chapala and whish you have a good stay.

Thank you for offering. I will PM you when we need a ride, to see the timing can coincide with your plans.

50 pesos from Wal-mart to our house for about a 7 minute ride. Just doesn't seem that cheap and there is no negotiating. They have a system of whose turn it is, so you can't just go to the next guy for a better rate. The bus ride is 7 pesos, so we try to use it instead of a cab. When you have your own car, you don't think much about going back and forth for errands, but if you get a cab each time, it really adds up.

We have checked into this. Car rental is about $35 USD a day. If you do that for a month, it's like renting another house. Quite expensive just to get some groceries and other occasional errands.

I have checked into Cynthia Ornelas, Personal Assistant for errands. That may be reasonable if we need things from Sam or Costco and a sufficient amount to justify the expense.

You've just listed all the good reasons to buy a car when you can!

Good luck on selling yours. ^_^

Hi, we are car free, by choice.

We walk a lot, even though one of us has foot problems. When taking the bus, I use a backpack and make several smaller shopping trips.

For a BIG grocery run, I walk or bus to WalMart and take a cab back loaded to the max. Driver helps unload for a nice tip.

We also use Cynthia Ornelas, Lake Chapala's Personal Assistant, for items from CostCo and Sam's. Much easier than navigating GDL by bus. I highly recommend her services !

Best of luck to you.

Hi John

I have just recently moved here as well and purchased a home in Riberas. My home is currently undergoing some renovations but I am in Riberas at least two times per day....usually coming from San Antonio where I am renting a condo while the renovations are being completed. I would be happy to provide some ride assistance to you.

Zip me a PM and we can exchange some additional contact information or if you want to meet for coffee at Mom's, just let me know.

Mimi Hellman

50 pesos from Wal-mart to our house for about a 7 minute ride Just doesn't seem that cheap and there is no negotiating

How is $2.70 USD not cheap? I'm not sure what you're expecting to pay down here but if $2.70 USD is expensive. You're going to have a bad time.

How much does a car cost?

I am letting mine sit until it is plated and it is a lot cheaper to take a cab or the bus than to operate a car.

For a car, you pay the normal maintenance and insurance whether you drive it or not. If you are driving, you pay fuel.

How is paying less than $3 USD for a cab not cheaper than owning a car? You only pay for a cab or bus when you use them. For your own car, you pay for it every day whether you drive it or not.

Because cabs are so cheap, that is why many here do not own cars.

Of course, Joco has a point. Cabs in the long run, as cheaper than owning a vehicle. That is an entirely different discussion.

However, the topic I started wasn't about whether or not to purchase a car and the economics of the whole thing.

I was asking for some help with rides. I really don't need to get beaten up or criticized for my choices.

If you don't agree, cannot or do not want to help, OK, then don't.

50 pesos is very cheap.

From our house to Chapala is also 70 pesos so 3.80 USD per trip. After figuring in maintenance and depreciation costs of owning a car I figure we can take about 400 cab rides per month and still be ahead of the game. Of course we sometimes do have to wait 20-30 minutes. Both of us decided to go car-less years go and figure we've saved about 125k in five years by doing so.

in my opinion a car is the single worst investment a retired person can make.

Eric

I guess I misunderstood when you stated that $50 pesos was too much for a cab, so you spend $7 pesos to take the bus.

I didn't realize it is not about money. You are offering to pay people for the additional gas to pick you up and drop you off. That might be more than taking a cab.

What ever happened to just helping someone out??!!! He just asked if anyone was going his way could they help out. If I was going to Costco, Sam's, Soriana etc I would never expect money since I was going there anyway. I believe in paying it forward. Just saying.

What ever happened to just helping someone out??!!! He just asked if anyone was going his way could they help out. If I was going to Costco, Sam's, Soriana etc I would never expect money since I was going there anyway. I believe in paying it forward. Just saying.

Yes. Thank you. That's what I was asking exactly. If someone is going in that direction, they could possibly give me a ride, but somehow it has to become much more than that! When we had a car, we helped others, so I thought other may be willing to help as well. I should have realized it would involve into discussions about cab rides and how else I should be doing it....what was I thinking!

From our house to Chapala is also 70 pesos so 3.80 USD per trip. After figuring in maintenance and depreciation costs of owning a car I figure we can take about 400 cab rides per month and still be ahead of the game. Of course we sometimes do have to wait 20-30 minutes. Both of us decided to go car-less years go and figure we've saved about 125k in five years by doing so.

in my opinion a car is the single worst investment a retired person can make.

Eric

A car is NOT an investment. It's basic math. It is an expense, just like a house.

Archived