Chapala.com Webboard

Ride to Texas

Leaving early Sunday morning, driving to McAllen/Pharr and then on to Arlington, TX on Monday. Will take someone along who will help with gas and tolls and keep me company.

I drive pretty briskly and stop for gas twice and bathroom breaks at several of the toll booths. Route is via San Luis Potosi, Ciudad Victoria and I cross at Pharr. First stop is Costco in Pharr for gas.

Will be leaving here at 6:30 AM, should arrive at the border around 5:30 PM.

PM me if interested.

Can't help you with the drive MC since we did one ourselves last Friday but I wanted to comment that we took the AGS route using the new connector route to 45D, the west route around the city using the inner ring Convencion 1914 and then the bypass near Fresnillo before catching 54 toward Saltillo. We only stopped for bathroom and gas at the end of the new cuota at the Fresnillo exit just past the only toll booth without sensors. The toll tag worked for every other station.

We were nearing the bridge in Nuevo Laredo a little over 11 hours after leaving Ajijic and were checked into the hotel in Laredo at the 12 hour mark. To me it seems quicker than the Pharr route which should be an hour closer than Laredo based strictly on mileage. Perhaps too we were lucky because at 6pm on a Friday afternoon we crossed the bridge and and were 3rd in line to clear customs.

We had to make a stop in San Antonio so this time we just went up IH 35 but when going to Dallas we now cut off east at I10 toward Seguin and take the 130 bypass to blast north sin trafico at 80-85mph to Georgetown.

Have a safe trip and good luck finding a travel companion,

John, I *think* I drive your indicated route 'all the time' (except instead of going on to Laredo I cut up to Piedras Negro/Eagle Pass but that's another story). But your bringing Fresnillo into the directions confuses me. To go up 54 from N. Zacatecas City to Saltillo one cuts north at the little burg of Morelos.... and not 50km up the road to Fresnillo.

Am I missing something or were you just 'generalizing'?

Archived