Chapala.com Webboard

Glass Protection Film - Defend Against Burglars, Violent Home Invaders

cybertramp

Hi,

Has anyone installed window protection film instead of having bars on windows?

Does anyone know if there is a competent window film installer lakeside?

We are considering this product but will decide which way to go based on feedback to this request.

http://www.amazon.com/Protection-Security-ShatterGARD-BurglarGARD-Burglars/dp/B008MZMSA0/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

All responses will be appreciated.

TIA

Sharon & Frank

I do not think that is the main place of entry..they will cut the bars is seconds and pop the sliding doors ..they will only smash the glass if they can not pop the sliding winds // doors etc, like if you have a bar at the bottom or a nail to prevent the slider from opening...this of course after they have come across the 10ft high wall, past the electric wire and or razor top fence and past the ADT alarm !!!! welcome to Mexico

I do not think that is the main place of entry..they will cut the bars is seconds and pop the sliding doors ..they will only smash the glass if they can not pop the sliding winds // doors etc, like if you have a bar at the bottom or a nail to prevent the slider from opening...this of course after they have come across the 10ft high wall, past the electric wire and or razor top fence and past the ADT alarm !!!! welcome to Mexico

"Welcome to Mexico"?????

https://www2.fbi.gov/ucr/cius2009/offenses/property_crime/burglary.html

In 2009, there were an estimated 2,199,125 burglaries in the US—a decrease of 1.3 percent when compared with 2008 data.

I had a company in Atlanta and came in one day to find the door glass shattered and some checks stolen. More of a PITA than anything else.

Called a glass man to come replace the glass.

I watched him pull out the rubber seal and pop the rest of the glass out from the outside.

A guy with a screwdriver and a pair of pliers could pop the door glass out in 30 seconds and never have to break the glass. So much for door locks........

I'd go with the bars.

I'd also go with bars...but they don't have to be "bars". There is some beautiful iron scrollwork that is very acceptable to the eye from both inside and out.

Keeps out the burglars and lets in the breeze.

There are some nice designs in here...I would avoid page 5 because they want you to sign up...I just backed up one page and then skipped to page 6.

http://www.houzz.com/wrought-iron-windows-and-doors

There are some excellent wrought iron workers here that can duplicate ANY design you show them and for a very reasonable price.

Security doesn't have to be ugly.

Guest bennie2

snafu, if people dont want to be robbed thats their right. even in mexico. this is the first place i have lived where i have had these kind of converstions. i would go w/the bars even in mexico.

I have similar film on my car windows for security, probably a better place to use it.

I saw a window that reminded me of a shoji screen because of the artistic spacing of the bars.

Lots of talent around here in the metalworker profession. I think of it as "metal art" rather than "bars".

Unfortunately, they haven't come up with any decorative way of creating razor wire "art" as yet. It's just ugly.

The most common break and entry method here seems to be a crowbar to pop the lock and/or pry open a door. Iron bars and solid locks are probably your best protection, along with knowing your neighbors. Have a safe journey here!

Archived