Chapala.com Webboard

Walmart prices

Curmudgeon

I know the Guad Reporter does a comparison of prices upon occasion. They did so in last weeks paper put out on the 24th of October. Often I find things cheaper at one store or the other. The one I like best isn't included, that's Costco. Just Soriana and Wal-Mart.

A few places in the U.S. have implemented - or tried to implement - a policy where they will match any "advertised" price. In my very limited experience with that it sort of worked some of the time but there were often "exceptions".

Down here I can't see that working at all since there is much less advertising so much less documentation of a lower price.

The surveys that Pete mentions being published in the Reporter usually show a pretty small difference between the stores they include in their report. And they cover just a handful of products out of thousands covered by big stores like Walmart. So I don't think it is at all realistic to think you will find one store that will always be the cheapest on every product - could be why Walmart took down the sign.

Probably makes sense to shop around for more expensive things but I don't worry about a peso or two difference on smaller purchases. However I do know a few people that obsess over every single items and will go to several places to save a few centavos. They enjoy the game. Me? Not so much.

How WalMart works: They have products manufactured under a company's label but through WalMart's own manufacturing, quality control (usually an oxymoron in WalMart's case) and distribution centers. So yes, often prices are lower, but are you getting the same product that you buy elsewhere? Nope.

If you are looking for more than speculation you might want to do the research and find out for yourself since this seems to matter to you. Remember, Senor Google is your friend.

I consider myself properly chastised. I shouldn't try to start a friendly discussion here. I was merely interested in whether there had been an advertising policy change at Walmart. I'm not looking for the lowest prices.

Aaaw ... just forget it.

I doubt anyone on this board knows if Walmart has had a pricing policy change. I guess I did not understand what there is to discuss when we do not have insider information on Walmart policies. However, I do think my general dislike of all things Walmartian leaked over into my response to you. For that I am sorry.

Here is a case of where the joke's on me for failing to read the fine print at Walmart's competitor: Soriana.

My very small electric grill that I paid all of 50 pesos for at a bazar finally died, so I went to Walmart in search of a new one. (No use waiting for one to turn up at the thrift stores; the Law of Diminishing Availability operates in these situations.) No such item at Walmart. Sandwich makers, but no mini grills. Went to Soriana, where, right after the entry was a display of George Forman grills with an advertised price for the small one around $299 pesos. Hey, that works for me. In small print, it added that this was with "50 puntos".

What a nasty surprise a the checkout counter ! Yes, I bought it anyway on the rationalization that burgers made at home are cheaper.

Moral: they all have the fine print to look out for. The sign showing the price on the shelves may very likely be a foot away from the item you're looking for at Walmart, and may well be for another item of the same type. The machine that scans them may be far, far away. Watch your burro. :unsure:

Man, I have gotten some excellent deals using the puntos... $1500 toaster ovens for $500, things like that. Just grab a card from a checkout person and start adding up the points. They expire the last day of October, and one other month in the year (April, maybe?), so you can't keep them forever. Got a 59 peso bag of bran flakes the other day, no cost.

They are a little bit sneaky that way, I guess. I wasted tons of points over the years until one of the clerks asked me if I wanted to use some. So yes, you do need to say, at the cash, apply my points please. "Usar mis puntos" or something like that.

They are a little bit sneaky that way, I guess. I wasted tons of points over the years until one of the clerks asked me if I wanted to use some. So yes, you do need to say, at the cash, apply my points please. "Usar mis puntos" or something like that.

AHA !! Thanks for the suggestions.

One downside. Today being the last day for this period, everyone was cashing in. I had quite a wait while a young gal went through her entire list backwards, getting points checked. One upside: I don't need the points; but she certainly obviously did, and thank you Soriana for making them available. Plus, on the back of the receipt, there are always coupons for stuff in the store.

If you have a Soriana card from customer service, your receipt will show your name and the point balance (saldo de puntos) as well as the balance of electronic cash (saldo de dinero electronico) which you have accumulated. When you decide to use them, simply ask: Usa mi puntos or Usa el dinero electonico.

Yes, they both expire on the last days of April and October. Signs do indicate which products earn points and which are on sale with points, etc. Minimal Spanish will help.

Archived