Chapala.com Webboard

Glasses at Costco?

I got them, free exam, kid doing it really was silent, no advice, was my first pair, ran maybe 1,800 pesos for fancy frames and lenses, exam same day no wait and glasses ready a week later. I still dont wear them as I am not used to wearing glasses

For years, my husband and I used to get our frames there and had our prescriptions filled, bi-focals, tri-focals, reading glasses. Great selection of frames in a broad price range. Glasses were ready one -week later. Top-notch.

Would love to continue there but we just aren't able to make the trips. Nothing locally can compare, in our opinion.

Lexy

I've had good luck with the shop in the strip where Telmex is. That was a while back, when the man there was about to go back to school for a optometrist certification. I just needed reading glasses. I heard the lady there does a good eye exam. Prices are reasonable but not much frame selection.

Before that, and before I had eye surgery, I went to Dr. Pinto for progressives. He does a good exam and has a huge frame selection at various price levels.

Until I started wearing trifocals (not progressives, I can't wear them), I always bought glasses at Costco and was always very satisfied with the exam, the prescription, and my glasses.

The last time I was in Costco, just a few weeks ago, I asked the person behind the counter at the optical department to tighten one temple on my frame. She did, and she cleaned my lenses, and she said, "Be really careful with these trifocal glasses, no one in Mexico makes them now." Amen to that, sister. This last pair I had to have made in the States.

The problem with progressives for most people (certainly was for me, many long years ago) is that for about three weeks, you feel like you're standing on the deck of a moving boat. That can be a real deal killer.

I did get used to them; couldn't handle the trifocals. Whatever works, si?

Been wearing progressives for 25 years. Have had progressive lenses made at the place near Telmex, Dr.Pinto's and Costco over the past 6 years. None of them were right. I was told they don't do progressives the same in Mexico as the U.S. Two years ago on a trip to the U.S. I had a pair made (with a Mexican Rx) at LensCrafters. Walked around the mall and they were ready in an hour. They were perfect. Won't have them made in Mexico again. LensCrafters are expensive, but way less then the total of all the glasses I had made here in Mexico that I couldn't wear

I have been getting glasses at Costco for years but the summer of 2013 I got new glasses, this all NOB, and for the first time I couldn't get the lenses clean, even using the lens solution and special cloth. Took them back.

• 9 months later...

I just did a search to see about being able to get tri-focals in Mexico, and found this thread. Therefore, it appears they can be obtained there. Can someone give me an idea of the cost for an Ophthalmology visit?

Here is the US, our co-pay would be $50 USD.

I just did a search to see about being able to get tri-focals in Mexico, and found this thread. Therefore, it appears they can be obtained there. Can someone give me an idea of the cost for an Ophthalmology visit?

Here is the US, our co-pay would be $50 USD.

Strangely, I've had better luck getting accurate prescriptions from optometrists than from Ophthalmologists, but of course the latter gives a better general eye exam. The last time I saw one (Dr. Vargas, who visits the Ajijic Clinic on Tuesdays), it cost 600 pesos.

Archived