Chapala.com Webboard

Finally going to Chapala in January!!

Hola Everyone,

We are so excited, we just made airline reservations and are finally going to visit the Chapala area in January for my birthday. My husband has been there a couple of times before, but this will be my first time. I have a book about Chapala and have been studying!

We're checking it out to see if we'd like to retire there. I have 4 years to go. We lived in Puerto Vallarta for 3 years and loved it but the summers are a killer with the humidity and he doesn't want to move back there. We are living in Tijuana right now, but I sure don't want to retire here. Hubby is working at the Tijuana airport but he can transfer to the Guadalajara airport when we move. I cross the border every day to work in the San Diego area as a nurse and maybe I could find a p/t small job doing similar work (?) If not, it's OK, I'm anxious to volunteer or teach English. Luis is Mexican and I'm American. I am a permanent legal resident of Mexico. He speaks good English and I speak OK Spanish.

We'll be staying at Hotel Balneario in San Juan Cosala. Hubby stayed there many years ago and liked it. Trip Advisor gave it a good rating. What do you think?

Any restaurants you'd recommend? Looks like Viva Mexico/Tia Lupita is a winner in San Juan and Letra CH/Restaurante Del Mar is recommended in Chapala. Do you agree?

We'd also like to check out the surrounding towns, maybe one of them would be a better fit (?) Once we're moved, we'd be interested in renting a casa with 2 (or 3) bedrooms in a typical Mexican neighborhood. I was told to check the bulletin board at a supermarket in Chapala for rentals.

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas of things we should see while there. I hope to meet some of you on our trip. Thanks in advance for any info.

Muchas Gracias,

Sue (Susana in Mexico)

You should have a great time visiting here and happy birthday in advance. This web-board is full of good advice, so much so that I would ditch the book you're reading. Things change way too quickly for any published books to keep up with, especially restaurants. I don't want to get into detail on where to eat, but look at the La Cocina section of this web-board before driving a very long way for a restaurant that may be out of business or closed. If you're looking for the true Mexican village without a lot of gringo flavor, you're in the right place as San Juan Cosala is beautiful. If you want to sight see gringo land to get a taste of why it is an expat haven, you're a little off the beaten path in San Juan and might want to split your stay with some time there and some time at a B&B in Ajijic, depending on what interests you and your husband. While in San Juan you may want to check out Jocotopec too. Don't forget to explore Chapala, especially the malecon and points east, such as Mezcala, which brings me back to considering splitting your stay in two different locations just to see things from different perspectives without a lot of drivng.

Archived