Chapala.com Webboard

Monte Cristo Restaurant

wdb

If you haven't been to Monte Cristo Restaurant on the west side of Ajijic yet, then I want to heartily recommend it to you. We have been twice now and the food and the service is outstanding. These are people who care about their customers and the food shows it.

Today we had the spring rolls, with shrimp and cream cheese, to start, and the spinach stuffed chicken breast and fish and chips. It has a great atmosphere and the food is so good. Gourmet, actually.

Also, the patio is dog friendly, so add this one to your dog friendly restaurant list. While we were dining, a trio stopped by to play some music. This is our new favorite place to eat. Plenty of parking, something I appreciate, since I drive a big Ford truck.

Here is a full review with pictures http://lakechapalarestaurantguide.blogspot.mx/2014/10/monte-cristo-restaurant.html

I ate there several weeks ago, and had the best coconut shrimp I have had ever in the Lake Chapala area. The shrimp were large and cooked to perfection, and the coconut coating was not thick and heavy, but light and perfect. I recommend this restaurant also, because the roasted vegetables that came with the shrimp were delicious.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Fianlly got to Monte Cristo on Saturday night. What can I say about a place that is okay/good, but that's all? If they could kick it up a notch or two, it would be a go-to joint for me.

Let's see: kudos for homemade aioli. Minus points for the most oily, disgusting aioli I've tasted. Kudos for an excellent price on paella. Negs for not using saffron (paella with no saffron?) and having almost no seafood. Loved the presentation in the hot pan, though. Kudos for cooking the coconut shrimp perfectly; negs for the shrimp having no flavour. Kudos for offering rice and vegetables with the meal, although negs when asked what the other choices might be, being told "uh, nothing". Kudos on great mashed potatos that came under my veg... negs for it not being, uh... the promised rice. Kudos for a pretty, handmade lemon sauce for the shrimp; negs for it being unbalanced and way over-sweet.

The grilled vegetables were superior: flavourful, a slight char, perfectly al dente but not raw. A lesson Tango has never learned.

Kudos for the friendly server; negs for the overly-friendly server. I don't need a handshake, a back-slap and a nice chat, thanks... but that's just me.

So, what can I say? I guess it comes down to this: when I want to go out, or take visitors someplace nice, will it come to the top of my list? No. On the other hand, if they are consistent, then at least you know you won't be disappointed, if not particularly tickled.

Fianlly got to Monte Cristo on Saturday night. What can I say about a place that is okay/good, but that's all? If they could kick it up a notch or two, it would be a go-to joint for me.

Let's see: kudos for homemade aioli. Minus points for the most oily, disgusting aioli I've tasted. Kudos for an excellent price on paella. Negs for not using saffron (paella with no saffron?) and having almost no seafood. Loved the presentation in the hot pan, though. Kudos for cooking the coconut shrimp perfectly; negs for the shrimp having no flavour. Kudos for offering rice and vegetables with the meal, although negs when asked what the other choices might be, being told "uh, nothing". Kudos on great mashed potatos that came under my veg... negs for it not being, uh... the promised rice. Kudos for a pretty, handmade lemon sauce for the shrimp; negs for it being unbalanced and way over-sweet.

The grilled vegetables were superior: flavourful, a slight char, perfectly al dente but not raw. A lesson Tango has never learned.

Kudos for the friendly server; negs for the overly-friendly server. I don't need a handshake, a back-slap and a nice chat, thanks... but that's just me.

So, what can I say? I guess it comes down to this: when I want to go out, or take visitors someplace nice, will it come to the top of my list? No. On the other hand, if they are consistent, then at least you know you won't be disappointed, if not particularly tickl

Had there paella there and it was essentially just a big pan of rice. Very skimpy on the seafood and, as mentioned no saffron.

Nice looking place, friendly staff but......my wife's ceasar salad - far too much dressing (should be served on the side!) My rib eye burger - wonderful meat but terrible, inedible bun. (The bun had been oiled or buttered on the flat grill. From the added moisture from the meat the lower half of the bun simply disintegrated making it impossible to pick up the burger. Sadly I had to scrap the bun and eat the meat and condiments with a knife and fork.) Frozen french fries must have been cooked in oil at too low a temperature. They were absolutely "sopping" with oil. You could actually squeeze a fry and extract a half teaspoon of oil. Needs of lot of "fine tuning" in food preparation. I think that the server should have at least noticed the uneaten salad, french fries and bun but when we asked for the check he simply cleared the table and returned with the check. We'll wait to see what others post before we consider a return visit.

I really hate it when the bun disintegrates due to poor preparation or a worthless bun. Making a good burger is Beginning Cookery; no particular skill involved, so it's just negligence when it isn't right.

My other whine is the ever present Bimbo buns. Most of the places charge enough for a burger that they could afford a decent bun with some flavor and substance, or better yet, a soft French roll. The best of the latter I've found is at Bruno's, served with their roast beef sandwiches.

Finally, what ever happened to the custom of the waiter coming around to your table (after you've had a chance to try the food) and asking if everything is okay?

I hear you about the buns, but I think it's because of these darn Bimbo things. Most of the places here use them; even the Hamburger Truck out by Villa Nova. I guess it's either that or get a source in Guadalajara, which would definitely add to the price of everything. Not that I've had a better bun in Guad. Most factory-made bread products are awful here.

EDIT: Cross-posted with Gringal!

The best hamburger bun available at Lakeside is from Soriana. The bread has texture and holds together. However they have two sizes of the bun using the same bread dough. One is, in my opinion, far too small (that's what they sell in packages of 8 similar to Bimbo) and the other is simply too large (likely 7 to 8 inches across and at least two inches thick). These large buns are not the least bit expensive and yes we've bought them and cut them down to a more satisfactory size but it would be great if they would just make a bun somewhere "inbetween" in size as the finished product (Hamburger) would look far more presentable on serving.

• 1 month later...

How strange. Is this a dog they've recently acquired and are caring for it at the restaurant? Has Monte Cristo been open during the xmas holidays?

Some of the owners/managers of Monte Cristo live next door to me. They had three now four little dogs that are well cared for. Over the Christmas holiday the house is empty, everyone is gone as well as the dogs. They seem like caring people.

It worries me to hear of this poor dog.

These owner/neighbors are not there at all. All the cars they usually have lined up outside on the street are gone, including a large mobile home that was being renovated. No sign of the dogs in their backyard that I can see from my rooftop. Maybe gone for the entire holiday time.

Is anyone feeding the dog? What a terrible thing to do.

Lexy

These owner/neighbors are not there at all. All the cars they usually have lined up outside on the street are gone, including a large mobile home that was being renovated. No sign of the dogs in their backyard that I can see from my rooftop. Maybe gone for the entire holiday time.

Is anyone feeding the dog? What a terrible thing to do.

Lexy

I'm assuming she is being fed because she doesn't look emaciated, although she seems exhausted all the time. :(

Archived