Chapala.com Webboard

wasp and hornet spray

El Menudo

I bought it at Superlake about a month ago. Cost was 154 pesos for one can - outrageous - but I really needed some to shoot to roofline.. I would like to have some from the States also, but aerosols are not allowed on airplane. If anyone is coming by auto, I would really appreciate them bringing me two cans also.

I bought it at Superlake about a month ago. Cost was 154 pesos for one can - outrageous - but I really needed some to shoot to roofline.. I would like to have some from the States also, but aerosols are not allowed on airplane. If anyone is coming by auto, I would really appreciate them bringing me two cans also.

I checked at Super Lake yesterday. They are currently out.

Hornet & wasp spray is as effective as pepper spray to deter aggressive actions by others. Purpose is to give you time to escape. It also shoots about 30' so you don't have to be at arms length. I keep a can next to the front door. Just an FYI.

If hornet spray is so effective why don't they use it against bears. Pepper spray was first developed for use against bears. It worked so well that the military and law enforcement adopted it as well. None of those entities use wasp spray. Wasp spray is a toxic poison and could subject you to legal problems.

the most effective and non-toxic way to kill wasps and hornets is to make a very soapy solution from dish soap and put it in a super soaker child's gun and squirt it where you need to go and the little suckers will drop down on the ground and walk around for 30 seconds and forevermore cease to be a problem. And the biggest problem it might cause is tears in your witty bitty eyes. You can also hurl a small bucket of soapy water on an entire nest if you have no super soaker.

If you do want to use something moderately toxic for wasps or spiders I would suggest going to the hardware store and buying a one litre spray bottle and a small envelope of insecticide called 'Cynoff'. It is in powder form and comes in a small white envelope. You mix the powder with water, one envelope is enough for two or three liters of water depending how strong you want it. And with the spray bottle you can adjust the nozzle so it reaches quite high, 15 feet or more. The best time to spray the wasp nests is very early morning or after dark.

The spray bottle costs about 20 pesos and Cynoff 65 pesos. I know that Jara's next to Telmex and the hardware store near Super lake both sell it and the spray bottle as well. One good thing about Cynoff is that it hardly smells but it is quite effective.

Archived