Chapala.com Webboard

San Juan Cosala fiesta

zextek

San Juan Cosala fiesta

:38:

On September 21, 2014 there was a fiesta on the beach in San Juan Cosala. I estimate that at least a thousand Mexicans attended. I was the only gringo that was there that I could tell. Why don't more lakeside expats have Mexican friends?

Here are some photos.

IMG_20140921_130030.jpg

papa chango

IMG_20140921_151636.jpg

IMG_20140921_151648.jpg

IMG_20140921_151745.jpg

IMG_20140921_151753_1.jpg

IMG_20140921_151556.jpg

IMG_20140921_151916.jpg

IMG_20140921_152605.jpg

IMG_20140921_155834.jpg

http://lh6.ggpht.com/-wdh4NNrn5Ks/VCBumv534OI/AAAAAAAAOQg/hq5nT72_7oQ/s1024/IMG_20140921_160237_1.jp

http://lh4.ggpht.com/-PFB3hCsVltg/VCBuSKf3_zI/AAAAAAAAOPY/N5iw062snSU/s1024/IMG_20140921_173117.jpg

http://lh6.ggpht.com/-k2GWzs0GPrw/VCBuoCwxgCI/AAAAAAAAOQo/18d9gV8BXQU/s1024/IMG_20140921_162732.jpg

http://lh6.ggpht.com/-AAA7vZdbGBQ/VCBuo8_K7OI/AAAAAAAAOQw/AVuOHXDvlLQ/s1024/IMG_20140921_190930.jpg

:38:

love the pictures, muchas gracias, eh. In Ontario, Canada now and can't wait to return. I would have loved to attend and maybe would have been 'gringa numero dos'.

I've thought about the same thing, papa chango. Why don't more expats have real Mexican friends.

I think that it is difficult to break through that language barrier. I am lucky enough to have a lot of Mexican friends--mostly younger than myself. I sometimes think that ex pats might not introduce their Mexican friends into their gringo groups so that others can have them as friends, too. I ask gringo friends who are having a party if I can bring some non-English speakers and I've never been turned down. I've never invited one Mexican friend who hasn't shown up with one or two more to fortify their courage. The Mexicans then become friends with the gringos without me being in the picture anymore. That's success.

Where do you make any friends? Bring your Mexican friends to the many gringo dinners that Lakeside has to offer. Go to Mexican events that you are invited to and bring a couple of gringo friends with you. Don't just huddle in an English speaking club at the parties. Get cold and clammy and reach out to Mexicans that you think you'd like to know at the party. They will get cold and clammy and reach out to you and introduce you to their fellow Mexican friends. Volunteer to teach ESL at the LCS and make wonderful, long lasting friendships with Mexicans who want to learn our language and culture and who want to include you in their group of friends.

It is scary to make new friends when you feel like you are not part of the scene. As an older person I can be intimidated by these younger Mexicans but there is always some group--older and younger--who just really wish that they could get to know some gringos. Many gringos feel the same way. I think that it is that first step to break the ice and to respect each others communities and customs (Hey! We have very distinct customs to share with Mexicans, too!!) that will be rewarded with warm and lasting human friendships--Mexican, gringo or otherwise.

My partner was the adventuresome one. When he died I inherited the most wonderful gift he could ever have left me--a gang of Mexican friends. They inherited a great gift too. My Mexican friends--always growing--inherited a great group of gringo friends. If he hadn't been the one to take that initial frightful step into the Mexican community I would still be in a gringo world missing out on the wonderful people who grew up south of Pennsylvania!

It's no one's fault. It's just the high school dance all over again and I'm afraid to ask someone to dance.

Maybe I am overthinking this.

Not that many expats live there; it wasn't advertised in our area; no one outside the area really knew about it. Nothing to do with having Mexican friends or not.

It was my Mexican friends that invited me to this event. I would have never known but they are in touch with what's going on lakeside. There were Mexicans there from every town lakeside. I appreciate their friendship.

Lots of expats live in SJC. Many of us celebrate the Mexican holidays with the Mexicans. I didn't know anything about this fiesta or a group of us would have attended. I saw the horses on my way to Las Fuentes to see a friend. Does anyone know what the fiesta was about? We just celebrated Independencia Day. And the Fiesta of St. John the Baptist was in June???

San Juan Cosala celebrates Independence Day a week later than Ajijic.

Was it a full-on charreada? The photos of the escaramuzas are so beautiful!

Yes. it was a wonderful event until dark when everybody got wet from the rain.

Archived