Chapala.com Webboard

Kayaks for sale?

asisis

I agree with RVGringo - If you can purchase NOB and drive them down you will have better selection and price. If not, I suggest you contact Wayne - he is the Commodore of the Ajijic Kayak Club. He also posts regularly on this forum. I am aware of a kayak manufacturer in Queretaro (Mayan Seas) - I have not tried their kayaks but they look good and Wayne may let you try one. It would also be a great introduction to the kayak fans in Ajijic - they are a great bunch, very friendly and welcoming. Hope to see you on the lago!

As a member of the Lake Chapala Kayak Club, I'd second the recommendation that you bring your kayak(s) down from NOB to lakeside. We have several "recreational" kayaks to use, but the sea kayaks are either shared or owned my members for their use. So if you're got the gear and kayaks you're happy with NOB, I'd bring them with you. We're looking at building additonal rack storage for new members. I also have a rack for my Hobie Mirage kayaks with a couple spaces left.

kayakinglakechapala.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=144 (not up to date, but Wayne's NOB)

FYI - One other thing I should mention regarding Lake Chapala, there are obstacles not visible on the surface or just below the surface. There are several orchards underwater and limbs/branches do exist and pose a hazard. Therefore inflatable kayaks can be damaged, not to mention other submerged rocks and debris near launching areas.

• 4 weeks later...

kayak club meets every Thursday 12 noon Maria Isabel restaurant

next to ajijic malecon, on colon.

only bring kayaks If they are sea kayaks, or crossovers( almost sea kayaks)

as a member of the club we teach classes in kayaking,

most new members who have brought recreational kayaks liked them at first,

then as there skill progressed they upgraded to a better kayak.

yes there are kayaks for sale, about $12000 pesos or less for sea kayak, about $900 US.

they are used, you would be buying a members used kayak. its up to you and the member what it sells for.

new mayan sea kayak are about $24000 pesos delivered from Quetarero

paddle, skirt, pump, paddle float and vest extra

most members have they on paddle, skirt, vest etc.

the club has some for use.

we do not recommended inflatable kayaks, the lake is too shallow

, and on some days very windy. they can be a challenge to control.

we suggest to new members do not buy a kayak until you have tried other members kayaks for about 4 months and can make a informed decision.

just got back

wayne

commodore

kayak club

Deportes Marti andCostco sell them

Here is a web site where you can read reviews on kayaks. http://www.paddling.net/Reviews/showReviews.html?prod=1097

Everyone seems to like the featherlite pretty well. They're definitely not a sea kayak though. it's going to kind of depend on what you want to get out of it. Most of the members in the kayak club grow out of this type kayak pretty soon. It's probably OK for just paddling around by the shore to see the birds but when that gets old and you want to join everyone else on longer trips you'll be wanting to upgrade.

As Wayne mentioned above it might be a good idea to come down to the kayak club and see what's available. We do have some Heritage kayaks for newbies to use.

I will chime in here. You really should try out a kayak before buying one. I do not know where you are from, but if you have time to sign up for a weekend course at one of the kayak schools.... you can review basic skills with a qualified instructor and spend time with them discussing your needs and actually using the kayak while you take lessons. *If you are already experienced, then just test a few at one of the schools for a day.

I did this earlier in the year and I really love the kayak I purchased. This is a good time of year to buy used as well. .

You will have very, very limited kayak types to try at the kayak club. I say, take a leap of faith...... sign up for a day or two of classes and then buy a kayak.

It is like any other purchase of sporting equipment, if you have the equipment that fits your size and shape and will allow you to develop your skills.... you will likely enjoy the sport a lot more. It is always a bit of a financial risk to invest in a new sport, but if you end up here without a kayak..... that would be sad. It is an amazing thing to do, kayaking on our lake Chapala.

I bought a dagger alchemy

Thanks DC5,

If I buy one, I don't wish to have to upgrade. Is Thursday the only day you have regular excursions?

We also meet Mon. afternoon and Sat. morning at 8:30. The Thurs. paddle is at 8:30 am also but we get together afterwards for lunch at Maria Isabel. You can PM me if you'd like more details.

Archived