Chapala.com Webboard

Best option for exchanging dollars for pesos?

elevator

I can buy your dollars better than bank posted rate

BofA in Atlanta has pesos...bad exchange rate....much better at an ATM near the border or right over the border when you stop for your papers or at ATM in OXXO next to PEMEX (gas stations)....some ATMs take your card and you must wait for it to be returned at the end of your transaction. If you have a capital one debit card and use a Banorte at an OXXO there will be no service charge for pesos if they know you are traveling in Mx

The worst rate is getting from a bank in the States. If you feel uncomfortable about going into Mexico without pesos then don't order more than about $50usd. You can get pesos from almost any ATM as soon as you cross into Mexico. Where are you crossing and someone will be able to give you a good faith estimate on how many pesos you will need to get to Lakeside.

Just noticed you were crossing at Laredo. I don't remember the exact amount for tolls, but figure $75 (shouldn't be that much). A night to Las Palmas Hotel in Matahuala $80, gas $100, food $100 for two. If you get 5000 from an ATM across the border you will have more than enough pesos. Everything is cash...gas, hotel, food, tolls. We never use credit cards on the road.

I use a debit card but do have 2 accounts in the US and on-line transfer to my secondary account the amount I will be withdrawing that day and keep only a small amount in it otherwise. Just to be safe.

Banamex ATMs charges $31.00 pesos and my US bank $5.00 US each time up to $7,000 pesos.

I always use a bank office ATM or one at Costco or Walmart. Banorte charges $69.00 pesos now at their ATMs.

I use cash [pesos] for purchases and do not like to use my US debit card all over the place. Just to be safe.

I had it compromised once in TJ in 2006 and started using cash since then.

Another thing to consider is as of about the last 1 1/2 years some ATMs here don´t read the magnetic strip and Mexican cards have a chip in them to read. I sometimes have to find an ATM, sometimes in the same bank ATM room, to use my card. I also have to reinsert the card a few times before it reads the card. I now know where to find a good machine that works everytime. If your card is not read try it again or move to another machine. You will get money from one of them.

I drove your same route northbound in late July and kept good records. Total toll road costs (I took every toll road) were 1,232 pesos. Two tanks of regular unleaded gasoline for my Nissan Rogue was 1,160 pesos. Las Palmas (smaller room with two double beds) cost was 755 pesos (plus tips). Dinner at Las Palmas was 280, but I only had coffee in a.m. for 30 pesos. Those are per person costs for food.

I agree that for vacation spending money here, local ATMs are the way to go.

If for example, one was a resident and was planning on buying a car or doing many renovations, online trading will give you a better rate.

It would be interesting to know what rate Intercasa could give you though; he's a local trustworthy lawyer here in Chapala.

Thanks for the info folks.

We are excited to finally be getting on the road in few days.

Thinking about doing a reality show from the RV on the way down with 3 cats, 2 dogs and the wife and me. Call it " Are we there yet? I could wear one of those "wifebeater" T shirts and be a star.

Not to change the subject - but don't forget the paperwork for your pets.

Archived