Chapala.com Webboard

Product to color grout

nothernewbie

In the states I had someone apply a product to change the color of my tile grout. I went a shade or two lighter and it made a world of difference. I have lots of tile that I would like to do same thing to and am wondering if anyone knows of such product being available here and has had a positive experience.

I lookedeverywhere for it and never found it. At thr timr I had a brand name and google it and found out that the plant was in Monterrey, I called them to ask where I could find it and they told me Home Depot , I went there and hey did not know what I was talking about and did not have it...I got it from the States via a friend who brought it.

In California I hadtiny hexagonal tiles in the bathroom, the grout was white and looked terrible, I stained it grey and it worked very well on the floor but the grout line was tiny, I do not know how it would work on wide grout. It is easy to apply.

I went from white to a light gry, not sure how it would work from a dark to a lighter color.

I have found colored grout, but not colored grout sealer. The hardware store beside Farmacia Guadalajara has a clear acrylic sealer of very high quality. To color it you would have to go to an art store and buy acrylic based paint to mix in the sealer. Then a small brush or cotton tip Q-tip. With the clear you don't have to clean up any over the grout mistakes. Do not use acrylic sealer/polish over your whole floor. I will look great for a while, but is easily scraped and gets packed in grit. Stripping acrylic sealer is about as much fun as sealing grout lines - sigh.

I have found colored grout, but not colored grout sealer. The hardware store beside Farmacia Guadalajara has a clear acrylic sealer of very high quality. To color it you would have to go to an art store and buy acrylic based paint to mix in the sealer. Then a small brush or cotton tip Q-tip. With the clear you don't have to clean up any over the grout mistakes. Do not use acrylic sealer/polish over your whole floor. I will look great for a while, but is easily scraped and gets packed in grit. Stripping acrylic sealer is about as much fun as sealing grout lines - sigh.

Thanks, I am not looking for colored grout and know there are products made specifically for this application.

In a week or so I will be in CHiapas where I have a bottle of the product, I will send you the name and you can ask MOnterrey again where you can find it. They told me they sold it in Mexico but I never found it but that was like 5 or 6 years ago so some stores in Guadalajara may have it.

I would recommend that you do one small place first to see how itlook on your grout.

I seem to remember that it iwas called Aquamix

Archived