Chapala.com Webboard

hotel on the way to Laredo

sioux4noff

Are you going up Hwy 54 (via Aguascalientes/Zecatecas) or Hwy 57 (San Luis Potosi/Matehuela) to Saltillo? If 54, last time through I tried the Hotel Pazo de Daro at La Encantada. This is the junction of 54 with the new toll road that bypasses around the west side of Saltillo. Very convenient location since you do not have to leave the main road to go into the city. If you get an early start the following morning, you can get past Saltillo/Monterrey before the traffic and be in Laredo early in the morning.

....Unless someone can recommend the other way for a reason.

I've done both ways fairly recently and like them both..... but it's six-one, half-dozen the other. The only reason I can see to go 54 is that there are fewer tolls (and one gets to see new territory I guess).

I've done both ways fairly recently and like them both..... but it's six-one, half-dozen the other. The only reason I can see to go 54 is that there are fewer tolls (and one gets to see new territory I guess).

Its also 100 kilometres shorter and you don't have the exposure to the hassle from the police in the San Luis Potosi area.

Its also 100 kilometres shorter and you don't have the exposure to the hassle from the police in the San Luis Potosi area.

.... and it has a lot less heavy truck traffic and less hills (important if you are towing a trailer).

Both 54 and 57 have 2 and 4 lane sections along the route. 54 has more 2 lane but is in a bit better condition since it has much less heavy truck traffic and is virtually straight all the way from Zecatecas to Saltillo. 57 as a result can have longer lineups for the military inspections going north but that seems to vary due to time of day and day of the week.

We had a mostly-good experience at Sunset Marquis in Monterrey -- cf http://www.chapala.com/webboard/index.php?showtopic=46838

The "mostly-" was that we didn't ask about staying the whole night -- phone rang right about 8 hours after our arrival to ask if we wanted to buy more time.

If you make it to Nuevo Laredo, we've had several good stays at Hotel Paraiso -- on the east side of the main highway a few (10?) kilometers north of the customs checkpoint.

Archived