Chapala.com Webboard

Perry's is now serving great pizza!!!

mexicomoose

Just dropped by Perry's today with some chili in mind and instead found out that he's now serving pizza! And oh my is it ever great pizza!

For starters the crust, the foundation for any great tasting pizza, is delicious in its own right! Not at all like many other "pizza" places around here where the crust is often like eating cardboard. This is an excellent tasting crust, not too thick and not too thin. And it was cooked to perfection with some slight charring on the outer edge. The sauce is also excellent and very well balanced, not too acidic and not too sweet. Perry uses a mix of four cheeses on each pizza; mozzarella, cheddar, provolone, and Parmesan. You can have just a 4-cheese pizza, or add pepperoni, salami, and probably some other meats that I have forgotten. For extra toppings, you can add red onion, green pepper, fresh mushrooms, black olives, and I'm sure there are probably more toppings that I also can't recall now. There is just one size for now, an ample 13-inch pie, which will easily feed two people and all varieties cost only 125 pesos. You can eat in or order it to go. He even has regulation pizza boxes! It is far and away THE best pizza that I have had here at lakeside, and I have tried them all out of desperation. From now on, Perry's is my go-to pizza place.

If you too have been craving some really good pizza down here, I'd recommend that you go give Perry's pies a try.

He is located on Guadalupe Victoria #82. Turn south onto Aldama/Madero (across from the Pemex), and then turn right (west) at the first street. He is 3 or 4 buildings down on the left. 376-766-2841

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hah! We also went there thinking we'd have the pulled pork sandwich special, but when we got there, everyone there was having pizza. So, we ordered a pepperoni with mushroom pizza. It really was outstanding. Hubby and I each ate our four slices plus I got his crusts, and I actually could have eaten a few more slices.

I agree with what Travis said about the pepperoni...it could have had more flavor. But, I just sprinkled some red pepper flakes on the whole thing and that made a big difference. The crust is excellent and the sauce is perfect. Definitely the best pizza I've had Lakeside.

My wife and I just enjoyed a great pizza at Perry's. It was prepared just the way we ordered it, with less cheese and extra sauce. There are not many places that have done that for us, especially here in Mexico. Best pie Lakeside in our opinions.

cheddar???????????????????????????

Maybe it needs a new name instead of Pizza. Cheddar on pizza? Needs chili flakes for flavor? Mystery dish.

I admit to not having tried Perry's yet. Difficult parking, paper plate service and converted garage ambiance are off-putting when the prices are up there with the nicer settings. Will probably go there one of these days due to so many good reviews, though.

Maybe it needs a new name instead of Pizza. Cheddar on pizza? Needs chili flakes for flavor? Mystery dish.

I admit to not having tried Perry's yet. Difficult parking, paper plate service and converted garage ambiance are off-putting when the prices are up there with the nicer settings. Will probably go there one of these days due to so many good reviews, though.

I agree that the parking is not great, but neither is Tango's. I would not walk a mile for a Camel, but i will walk a mile for great Pizza.

My wife and I know Perry and talked to him at length about his Pizza baking/making process. He has a love affair with Pizza and is making every effort to serve the best Pizza in Lakeside. I think he has succeeded. My hunt for a great Pizza is over. We will be there once a week to get our Pizza Fix.

Personally, I would take great food over ambiance any day! My wife and I have had a few rough experiences at local restaurants but the problems will remain between the two of us. I believe in the old saying " if you can't say anything good....."! By the way, he no longer serves on paper plates and the pizza is fantastic!

Personally, I would take great food over ambiance any day! My wife and I have had a few rough experiences at local restaurants but the problems will remain between the two of us. I believe in the old saying " if you can't say anything good....."! By the way, he no longer serves on paper plates and the pizza is fantastic!

Not to be contrary, but happily, there are quite a few restaurants in the Lakeside area where you can have BOTH good food and pleasant ambiance at about the same prices, so there's no need to give up one for the other.

I'm happy with my own cooking for breakfast and dinner, but I like getting out of the house fairly often for lunch. When I do, it's important to me to do so in pleasant surroundings. Fortunately for Perry, others like you feel differently. I admire Perry's efforts to create a successful restaurant in that location and wish him well. Maybe I'll get a take-out pizza one of these days. ^_^

They don't though, IMO.

That's what the "if" was for. Too bad. I like sitting out under the trees, looking at the lake. Got stuck living in the hotel for a couple of weeks when the house was being made habitable, so am familiar with the edible but uninspiring menu. Now I'm really off topic. OOps.

We had a Perry's Pizza take-out on Monday night and it was superb! We be consuming them regularly! One is ample for two people. Not knowing that we ordered two and had left-over re-heated pizza for a couple of lunches. It was very good reheated which pleased me cuz I like pizza and eggs for breakfast occasionally.

Granting that "the best pizza" is certainly a matter of personal taste and opinion, our search for the best pizza Lakeside is over. Perry's is the place!

This afternoon, Josue (i.e., Joshua) took our order for pepperoni, Italian sausage, green peppers, mushrooms, and onions (I forgot my wife's olives ^_^), and a bit later when I realized that I hadn't asked for a good char, Josue started to rush upstairs (the location of Perry's wood-fired oven) to let Perry know. I told him not to bother, but he said that it would be no trouble, and off he went.

The place is Perry's converted garage, simple and clean, with sturdy card tables covered with picnic table cloths, and metal chairs. Utilitarian, but comfortable.

When Josue served our piping hot pizza, it looked absolutely gorgeous. There was a very nice char at the edges and underneath, and the pieces were not floppy when held. Each bite resulted in a crunch, yet there was also a very nice chew. The crust was flavorful, as were all of the ingredients as they melded together to produce pizza perfection. We were the only customers at the time, and Perry sat at an adjoining table, so we were able to get to know one another.

Perry makes his own dough and sauce (right amount/right taste), and slices (not dices) his Italian sausage. He uses three traditional cheeses, plus a tad of cheddar "for color" (didn't taste the cheddar). He said that he has been "experimenting" with his pizzas for about two months, and I told him that his work has paid off!

With two Sprites, our meal came to $155 pesos, and we brought home enough for me to have just consumed a reheated piece (just as tasty as this afternoon's), for my wife to have a slice later this evening, and one right out of the refrigerator for my breakfast tomorrow morning.

Perry's is to be at least a weekly destination for us (he told us about his burgers, chili, pulled pork, and clam chowder). Try it--my wife and I think that you'll like it!

Archived