Chapala.com Webboard

Best Doctors Health Insurance

I am sure this topic has been discussed in the passed but I was unable to find any information on it. I am moving to Lakeside in Nov and would like to know if anyone has dealt with the above company and what were the results good or bad. Because of my age (67) I am looking at taking out health insurance with them.

I have patients whom have it and have used it. There are PROs and CONs as with any policy. But at the age of 67, a person's options for health insurance is limited.
It is meant to be a catastrophic policy. From my experience, and my patients' experiences, I am listing the PROs and CONs

BEST DOCTORS -

PROs
- Provides NEW coverage to people up to the age of 74. I am not an insurance agent but I haven't come across another policy that will cover NEW patients over the age of 64.

- Will cover PRE-Existing conditions after 1 year that the policy holder has had had it. For example, if a person has had high blood pressure, it will take one year to cover a claim that is directly related to high blood pressure.

- Application procedure is simple and straightforward. You get a simple blood test, chest X-ray and have your primary care physician fill out the questionnaire.

- BEST DOCTORS SECOND OPINION - I (as a physician) and my patients like the added piece of mind that any testing or treatment/procedure is reviewed by their Doctors in the U.S. This is really important especially when an invasive procedure has been the recommended course of treatment. I find that 90% of the time they have concurred with my findings and line of treatment that I have recommended.

-Either a $3000.00 or $5000.00 deductible per calendar year. BOOMERS IN PARADISE first got this group insurance going @ Lakeside. Then FOCUS-ON-MEXICO carbon-copied their policy. The FOCUS group has fewer people in their group and that in large part is the reason why the FOCUS group's deductible is less.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CONS - Emergencies you most likely have to pay out of pocket for. BUT they will reimburse you within 3-4 weeks if that particular claim is covered under your policy.

- Knee replacements, hip replacements and other claims that are not "catastrophic" are not covered but if you fracture a hip in an "emergency" situation, it will be covered.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I guess I can go on and on but the FAQs are listed on the following BOOMER'S web site and you can inform yourself better and see if the BEST DOCTORS policy is best suited for you needs.

LINK- BEST DOCTORS FAQs. - http://boomers-in-paradise.org/faqs/

BELOW is the reason why I, as a physician, like this feature that BEST DOCTORS HAS TO OFFER

CLICK HERE - BEST DOCTORS VIDEO TESTIMONIAL - http://www.bestdoctorsinsurance.com/df/es/que-dicen-de-nosotros#btn-testimoniales

I hope this helps and I wish you the BEST IN HEALTH !

I and some of my friends who have used Best Doctors would like to see Boomers in Paradise do a mail out or an on line survey of members to determine how many folks have used Best Doctors successfully and how many have had a claim (s) denied. It would also be beneficial to know how many have not used the policy they purchased. I myself backed out at the last minute because I could find either no one using their benefit yet or, in the case of one couple, having a claim denied. I wanted more facts before I gave up my money. I think--just my opinion--that it would be a great service to the community if Boomers could provide actual information up front. If it looked good I might apply for it again. I mean actual figures--not the anecdotal figures I have been given by others.

I agree with bigd. How can you say that your insurance is good if you have never used it? I learned that the hard way.

I have Met Life, pays for everything. You can get it up to age 69 as long as you are not ill or have problems. Andre Bellon is my agent at Bellon's insurance across the street from Deli 8 and Handy Mail, mountain side, where the red light is at Superlake.

You may want to check it out.

I also have Best Doctors with Boomers. I personally have not used it, but a good friend had a brain tumor removed and had no trouble getting them to pay. This was about 2 months ago. We took care of her dog while she was in the hospital.

Another friend took a bad fall and had to have knee surgery about 6 months ago. best Doctors paid all but the $5000 deductible. I also was leary, but after seeing them pay on 2 claims I feel much better.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm insured by New York Life and Edgar Cedeño is my agent, unfortunately, I got excluded due to a pre-existing hypertension issue due to my age, since I'm 63 Years old, my renewal's with NYL are higher and I've some claims honored by them. Edgardo suggested me to continue with the same company 'cause other insurance companies will not be payin' claims paid by NYL nor hypertension issues. I started lookin' for some alternatives, since I'm not too happy with my restrictions on my policy, I went to Bellon's office, they offered me to switch to Met Life and to not any add pre-existing conditions on my application, they told me there was no problem since I didn't need any medical check-up... I felt uncomfortable with it, so I decided to keep my current policy with NYL. Can you recommend me any other option?

Give Jesus Tejeda a call.

jtejeda17@hotmail.com

045-333-667-0499 (His cell # and probably the best way to reach him)

We have insurance from Axa with him and have had been VERY satisfied with the coverage during some extensive medical issues over the last couple of years. Jesus speaks perfect English (if that matters). His office is in Guadalajara but he has a number if clients at Lakeside and is here quite often.

He will give you the straight scoop (no games) and will really be there for you when you need him. Just remember that any insurance agent is just that - an agent. They really don't have any decision making authority nor can they "pay" or "not pay" your claim. The insurance company makes those decisions based on the terms and conditions of the policy. But what they can do is make sure you understand what options you have based on your age, medical situation, etc. and then be there for you when you file a claim. They can fight for you, make sure you are informed and deal with all the details when you need them the most.

I'm sure there are other good agents available but from my personal experience I can't imagine that there is anyone better than Jesus. PM if you have any questions and I can give you examples of how Jesus has gone above and beyond.

Best Doctors cannot be compared to Met life or such. It is around $100/mo. It is partial self insurance policy. Important to know this. You have to set other money aside to cover the deductible and what it won't cover like your bad tennis elbow. To be sure I would set aside 20/30K USD to cover what it won't cover.

BEST DOCTORS (the policies offered @ Lakeside) are for CATASTROPHIC MEDICAL CARE. A procedure such as Cardiac Ablation would not fall under the category of a catastrophic/emergency procedure. I think it's sound advice what LCSCATS stated, set aside some money for NON-CATASTROPHIC medical issues that such a policy won't cover.

Give Jesus Tejeda a call.jtejeda17@hotmail.com045-333-667-0499 (His cell # and probably the best way to reach him)We have insurance from Axa with him and have had been VERY satisfied with the coverage during some extensive medical issues over the last couple of years. Jesus speaks perfect English (if that matters). His office is in Guadalajara but he has a number if clients at Lakeside and is here quite often.He will give you the straight scoop (no games) and will really be there for you when you need him. Just remember that any insurance agent is just that - an agent. They really don't have any decision making authority nor can they "pay" or "not pay" your claim. The insurance company makes those decisions based on the terms and conditions of the policy. But what they can do is make sure you understand what options you have based on your age, medical situation, etc. and then be there for you when you file a claim. They can fight for you, make sure you are informed and deal with all the details when you need them the most.I'm sure there are other good agents available but from my personal experience I can't imagine that there is anyone better than Jesus. PM if you have any questions and I can give you examples of how Jesus has gone above and beyond.

Give Jesus Tejeda a call.jtejeda17@hotmail.com045-333-667-0499 (His cell # and probably the best way to reach him)We have insurance from Axa with him and have had been VERY satisfied with the coverage during some extensive medical issues over the last couple of years. Jesus speaks perfect English (if that matters). His office is in Guadalajara but he has a number if clients at Lakeside and is here quite often.He will give you the straight scoop (no games) and will really be there for you when you need him. Just remember that any insurance agent is just that - an agent. They really don't have any decision making authority nor can they "pay" or "not pay" your claim. The insurance company makes those decisions based on the terms and conditions of the policy. But what they can do is make sure you understand what options you have based on your age, medical situation, etc. and then be there for you when you file a claim. They can fight for you, make sure you are informed and deal with all the details when you need them the most.I'm sure there are other good agents available but from my personal experience I can't imagine that there is anyone better than Jesus. PM if you have any questions and I can give you examples of how Jesus has gone above and beyond.

Jesus Tejeda goes way out of his way to go to bat for you. I adore him, he's very smart, sweet and there for his clients.

Overall, it sounds like minimal coverage. Not my cup of tea. I had back surgery last year and my private insurance paid most of it. Backs, knees, hips, cardiac, and cancer are the routine for us older folks. My insurance covers them. On the other hand, if you're so old that you can't get good insurance Best Doctors may be better than nothing.

I'm insured by New York Life and Edgar Cedeño is my agent, unfortunately, I got excluded due to a pre-existing hypertension issue due to my age, since I'm 63 Years old, my renewal's with NYL are higher and I've some claims honored by them. Edgardo suggested me to continue with the same company 'cause other insurance companies will not be payin' claims paid by NYL nor hypertension issues. I started lookin' for some alternatives, since I'm not too happy with my restrictions on my policy, I went to Bellon's office, they offered me to switch to Met Life and to not any add pre-existing conditions on my application, they told me there was no problem since I didn't need any medical check-up... I felt uncomfortable with it, so I decided to keep my current policy with NYL. Can you recommend me any other option?

Your best bet would be Best Doctors sold by Boomers, one year exclusion for you pre-existing hypertension and peace of mind one year after you have joined. I never slept as well after signing up two years ago, a load was taken off my mind. Don't put it off you have nothing to loose but gaining full coverage after one year.

Lets stop for a second to look at numbers. NYL, ML are very expensive policies. I have coverage in Mexico from my company I retired for . It is a good policy with out of pocket maximum of 2k USD a year. I pay 250 and my employer pays 450 a month. The policy costs 700 dollars a month!!!. My wife worked for herself so we bought a B.D policy and set money aside to cover what it won't cover and the deductible. The policy costs around 100 a month. How can anybody compare policies without including costs? B.D. policy does what we need in our situation. Your mileage may vary.

Please folks lets talk costs into this discussions. I would not pay 700 a month for insurance here. Not sure its a good deal.

Until you get old and they raise the prices so high that you can no longer afford it.

It is the prime reason that we, at 67 an 77 are about to leave Mexico after 13 years of happy living in Chapala.

The land of VA Hospitals and Medicare awaits......unfortunately.

Archived