Chapala.com Webboard

PABS

vivien

And one in Guadalajara that used to be affiliated with LCS before LCS dropped the post-life planning program:

San Miguel Funeral Home, 333-825-1526 or 333-121-7540, 24-hour service, the names I have are Maria Elena Russo or Carlos Russo. They will return ashes to the US or wherever, should you have that need. Credit cards accepted, so I understand. I have dealt with them before for a neighbor and was happy with their services. Note, folks, that you do need a personal doctor to certify that your death was from natural causes. Sorry to preach, but everyone here needs to be registered with a doctor.

PROGRAMA DE APOYO DE BENEFICIO SOCIAL

This appears to be a funeral home selling prepaid services. 13,900 pesos. They have offices in Guad and various cities in Mexico and California. Anyone know anything about it?

Price is good or bad depending on exactly WHAT you are paying for. Plain cremation and return of ashes to someone here -- outrageous. Burial, shipping to north, or ??? -- would depend.

I took a terminally ill friend to prearrange cremation last fall to the funeral home on the carretera just east of Mirasol (Funeraria Moreh). She had to provide ID, and put down a deposit, knowing the balance would have to be paid up front on the day they came to get the body. Price for simple cremation and ashes handed over to someone here was just under $8,000 pesos at that time.

Of course, she had a doctor arranged who would do the death certificate, which the funeral home required before coming to get her remains.

I have gone with several friends to a funeral undertaker here in Chapala (translating), and he charges 9500 pesos, and that also includes the doctor's death certificate, his communication with consulate, and other..... In meanwhile, one of these friends actually died, and the undertaker did a good job.

That means that if a person passes away, someone simply calls this funeral undertaker directly and from there, he takes over.

Now, you don't get a fancy Yves Saint Laurent box with a purple ribbon for your ashes and you have to know beforehand where you are going to kick the bucket. He is not picking up your body in Playa del Carmen, for that amount of money. Also need to know where your ashes will have to go to. One time, checking out a rental, we found a box of ashes there, that nobody really wanted.

Rony

A family member recently deceased in California, USA. $822 USD for cremation and ashes at sea. Includes death certificate. I am thinking that California is a very expensive state.

Yes, but the difference here is the extra paperwork for a foreigner and communication with the consulate + here in Chapala, it is a fixed price, paid beforehand, which means that once you paid, and you bite the dust in 5 or 10 years time, there will be no extra fee. I doubt that it will still be 822 USD there in 5 or 10 years time.

Now, you do want to be fair to the poor funeral undertaker and not live too long.

Rony

Yes, but the difference here is the extra paperwork for a foreigner and communication with the consulate + here in Chapala, it is a fixed price, paid beforehand, which means that once you paid, and you bite the dust in 5 or 10 years time, there will be no extra fee. I doubt that it will still be 822 USD there in 5 or 10 years time.

Now, you do want to be fair to the poor funeral undertaker and not live too long.

Rony

LOL Rony you are always so considerate...

LOL Rony you are always so considerate...

especially to the funeral undertaker..... a lovely man, by the way. I did tell him not to be too eager for my business yet.

especially to the funeral undertaker..... a lovely man, by the way. I did tell him not to be too eager for my business yet.

Sounds like you are feeling better now? (At least you don't need an undertaker...). Are you and your little doggie staying Lakeside for a while?

Sounds like you are feeling better now? (At least you don't need an undertaker...). Are you and your little doggie staying Lakeside for a while?

Much better, thks.... I hope that I learnt my lesson this time....., a very hard lesson to learn.

Yep, rented an apartment almost across from the Red Cross.

Archived