Chapala.com Webboard

Paypal--getting stranger

Lexy

I followed Harry B's thread recently [it Is Really Getting Insane/Sep 6] re Paypal asking for a SS #. Many posters said it was probably phishing. I don't think so, because I'm having a similar problem and I'm in direct touch with Paypal through logging into my account.

To make the story short as possible: I recently tried to purchase a camera on EBay and paying as usual with my Paypal account. In the final step, I got this message: "We are not able to process your payment." No explanation. So I tried the whole process again later, unsuccessfully.

Contacted Paypal customer service. I'll skip some of the back and forth. Yesterday I received an email that said I need to update my profile info "for security reasons" before my Paypal account can be reinstated. I was told to log in and go to my Profile and update it with these four IDs: SS#, Individual Tax Id, Passport # and Permanent Resident Card #.

Considering that they are asking for passport ID and Permanent Resident card #, I suspect this has to do with my living in Mexico. But why should that be a problem? Furthermore, I do not want to supply my SS#.

Have any of you who just joined the EBay/Estafeta 365 Plan run into this problem with Paypal? This plan worked beautifully for about six purchases. Now I'm blocked.

I'll have to pursue this with Paypal, of course, to get a resolution of some kind. Meanwhile I just wanted to know if any of you are having or had this problem and can give me some pertinent, useful info.

Lexy

I threatened to cancel my PayPal account and they said that if I did that I could not re-open it....I said CANCEL and they said hold for a supervisor...she said that based on my previous purchase record I could continue without answering the security questions. It is our intention to use them as little as we can. Although my account is not closed I elected to disable my credit cards until I wish to use them in the future.... Their "no customer service" attitude will be rewarded by us but based on their size I don't imagine they will notice my drop off in usage.

I use Paypal a lot and so far, have not had any problems. In fact, I just completed an ebay transaction. BUT 1. I fund Paypal, when necessary, through a US bank and all payments stay in the US. 2. My 'ship to' ebay address is US and 3. My 'ship from' ebay address is also US. Other than my ISP, they don't know where I am.

I suspect the problems some people are having are a result of coming out from under the radar.

Ms. Chillin does all the Paypal and Ebay around here. She was having problems ordering from the Ebay/Estafeta account - companies were saying they could ship/process outside of the U.S.A. We were trying to pay with Canadian paypal, care of a Laredo address, to an address in Mexico (iShop). I read that you can only have one ebay account and it should be in the country you reside in (their rules, not government). When I contacted customer service by phone, it went to Paypal Canada who said to pay Paypal U.S.A. as a "guest" account - whatever that is. An email to Paypal Mexico replied that it would be best to open a Paypal Mexico account.

didn't join estafata. I've been a member since 2004. They are showing my account as $50 overdrawn (Chris sent a gift to her sister), so I'm waiting to see what they are going to do. I tried to skype(which uses a US number) and it said it was a nonoperating number. They have a US bank, credit card and address.

With alt the Paypal problems..... wondering, if there is an alternative company outthere, that does the same thing.

I have used both Merkalink (owned by Estafeta and uses the same Laredo business location) and Atravesde.com for forwarding packages from the US to Mexico. They both have their plus and minuses. But you are not limited to eBay for your purchases. Whether you buy online, or a friend or relative sends something, you aren't limited to one place pf purchase.

Thanks to you all for your comments and useful info. I'm working up the steam to phone Paypal this morning to try to get back in their good (not) graces. Unfortunately, I need to or I can't continue with the Estafeta Plan I paid for. Yuk.

Lexy

Joco--I've been a regular user of of Ebay and Paypal for 11 years, so your guess doesn't come close.

As I noted in my post, I used the system six times for recent purchases on my new Estafeta plan without a problem. The "block" came unexpectedly, asking for new ID info like my passport #, etc. Then, they say, they will "review" my responses to determine my reinstatement. If that's not b.s., I don't know what is.

I was asking what others did if they had encountered such a block.

Lexy

I heard that Ebay cancelled the contract with Estafeta, anyone else?

We've been using it successfully since it started. They seem to have gotten the 'bugs' out and service is excellent. Latest packages arrived the end of last week. No problems and no cancelation that we know of. I plan to make a purchase this week, we'll see.

Joco--I've been a regular user of of Ebay and Paypal for 11 years, so your guess doesn't come close.

As I noted in my post, I used the system six times for recent purchases on my new Estafeta plan without a problem. The "block" came unexpectedly, asking for new ID info like my passport #, etc. Then, they say, they will "review" my responses to determine my reinstatement. If that's not b.s., I don't know what is.

I was asking what others did if they had encountered such a block.

Lexy

Do you think my guess that possibly Paypal could be requesting information from less frequent customers was a personal insult to you? I haven't had a problem and thought it possible that Paypal is updating customer information. This was not an insult and was not aimed at you.

Do you think my guess that possibly Paypal could be requesting information from less frequent customers was a personal insult to you? I haven't had a problem and thought it possible that Paypal is updating customer information. This was not an insult and was not aimed at you.

Goodness, no, Joco, I didn't think you insulted me.

I followed Harry B's thread recently [it Is Really Getting Insane/Sep 6] re Paypal asking for a SS #. Many posters said it was probably phishing. I don't think so, because I'm having a similar problem and I'm in direct touch with Paypal through logging into my account.

To make the story short as possible: I recently tried to purchase a camera on EBay and paying as usual with my Paypal account. In the final step, I got this message: "We are not able to process your payment." No explanation. So I tried the whole process again later, unsuccessfully.

Contacted Paypal customer service. I'll skip some of the back and forth. Yesterday I received an email that said I need to update my profile info "for security reasons" before my Paypal account can be reinstated. I was told to log in and go to my Profile and update it with these four IDs: SS#, Individual Tax Id, Passport # and Permanent Resident Card #.

Considering that they are asking for passport ID and Permanent Resident card #, I suspect this has to do with my living in Mexico. But why should that be a problem? Furthermore, I do not want to supply my SS#.

Have any of you who just joined the EBay/Estafeta 365 Plan run into this problem with Paypal? This plan worked beautifully for about six purchases. Now I'm blocked.

I'll have to pursue this with Paypal, of course, to get a resolution of some kind. Meanwhile I just wanted to know if any of you are having or had this problem and can give me some pertinent, useful info.

Lexy

Lexy, how could you not recognize a wolf in sheep's clothing. You have now given the wolf all your info he would need to make purchases in your name, set up credit card accounts, make transfers out of your bank account, falsify mortgage info to get a house, get a loan to buy a car and so on.

I don't care what country you come from you should guard your info that could be useful to another person. Of course the wolf emailed you for more info....and you gave it to him. Now when you are emailing PayPal, you are connecting with the wolf. You need to go thru and change all your passwords and tell your bank this has happened and to be aware if someone, in your name, tries to gain access to your money thru any means, mortgage, loan etc.

This problem with PayPal has been going on for some time and they know about it. I cancelled my account with them because I rec'd the same request for more info that really wasn't necessary.

today i received an email from pay pal, saying there is some suspicious activity on my acct. they need my full information so i can continue. but i DONT HAVE A PAYPAL acct. i had one in 1999 for ebay, to sell. used it 3 xs then closed it. i no longer have an ebay acct, as i closed that soon after. (prior to moving here). i suggest that no one use paypal as there is too much fraud. it did work for fine for the few times i used it. but its been 15 years, these emails havnt stopped. btw, this one is from singapore.

I am a gringo well into senior hood. I am not a techie for sure but embraced the internet very early for both business and personal use. I feel that this invention is right up there with electricity and the telephone. How many remember (and still) phone scams? less now since the wolves have moved onto this "new" technology. We were taught to "just hang up" if a call seemed strange. The OP says they asked her to give her "SS#, Individual Tax Id, Passport # and Permanent Resident Card #." I can guarantee you this was not PayPal asking for this most personal and private information. There should have been 10,000 red flags flying at this point! Somehow a scammer had infiltrated her account. This can happen to anyone with any bank account or profile on the internet. Again it is not a PayPal problem. Here are 2 phone numbers to call to clear up any problems...402-952-8899 and 402-935-2050. The recording will ask to confirm your phone number and if you are not registered with that # simply say "representative". You might be shuffled to a few more recorded requests to identify you as a customer but just keep saying "representative" and shortly you will be talking to a live person. They will quickly tell you that none of that information requested is anything near what is required by PayPal. I would suggest that you (or anyone with security concerns) to bring in a professional tech to check your computer to see if you have an adequate virus protection program installed and working and to run a virus test to see if you need your system to be de-buggerd. I use Alberto (Benno) who is referred by others on this site but there are many other competent folks in this area who can help. There are free programs that can be downloaded but for a small price you can pay for a high end super secure program. But the key is just use common sense and DELETE, DELETE, DELETE if there is just one red flag. There was another thread on this subject recently and i had a little exchange with a poster who was a self identified Luddite. He refrains from any "newfangled" technology and of course in my opinion is cheating himself of a better lifestyle. This is especially true living in a foreign country where you can avail yourself of so many amazing advantages including PayPal, Skype and all the rest. At the end of our discussion I joked "I hope you are happy in your Luddite cubbyhole". I am sure he is and maybe that is good for some folks but not me!

gringohombre, all that just to purchase something? jumping thru all these hoops? long conversations, special technicians? looks like im the fast modern one here. personally i find the concept of syke old fashioned combersome complicated. i use vonage. i have a normal phone pick it up & dial the US. that's $20 per month. most people enjoy all the hoops, it gives them something to do. ive lived here a while, never needed paypal. not looking for a friend or should we say "pal"

To each his own Sir. I only signed up for Paypal once years ago and have has absolutely no problems at all in paying for goods online, transferring money to my U.S. bank, other PayPal accounts or using their very secure ATM card here. Skype costs me $60 a year (it might have gone up) and I get unlimited calls to the U.S. and Canada as well as low, low rates to any other country in the world. Skype to Skype calls are absolutely free (I call my brother Frequently in Bermuda at no cost). I do not know what "hoops" you are talking about but again to each his own.

I can add that anti-virus software will not protect you from email scams. Those who phish work very hard to ensure that their fake links pass all the tests. Unless a link directly deposits a spyware or virus onto your computer, which some AV programs might then catch (after the infection has occurred), being suspicious of any "official looking" correspondence that you have not instigated, is really your only safeguard.

Archived