Chapala.com Webboard

El Ancla

Guest PalapaGirl

Guest PalapaGirl

We had fish and chips at El Ancla.

My advice: don't. They made fish and chips with tuna! Last week when we went in.they said they were out of mahi, but we could have tuna our salmon. We went with different dishes altogether.

Blame short term memory loss, but this time we ordered fish & chips to go. When we got home we realized it was made with tuna! Not good. These looked like square frozen tuna steaks that had been battered and fried. I like tuna, but not in fish and chips.

Fair warning!

On the other hand, their seafood pasta was fantastic!

Well, here is another post on the positive side.

Ate there last night for the first time and had a great meal - and great service. A really pleasant experience all the way around.

We look forward to going back and working our way through the menu. Lots of interesting options.

YMMV

I think it is inconsistent. Our first visit was excellent. The second so so, not worth the trip out there.

Inconsistency seems to be the most consistent thing about many of the local restaurants. I'll give Lety's very high marks in that area along with Johanna's. They never disappoint.

• 2 weeks later...

We were there this past Friday. I ordered the Eggplant appitizer, a side salad and coconut shrimp. My companion had the seafood skewer, and a salad . We shared the eggllant which was the best I have ever had, . Layers of melted cheese, eggplant and homemade tomatoe sauce. Although it was an appetizer it was the size of an entree and we shared. The price was dinner level cost.

The salads were huge, if we would have seen them ahead of time we would have shared as well, Many veggies, including blanched asparagus, lettuce, pepers, carrors,onions tomatoes etc. Great balsamic dressing.

My shrimp were lightly breaded. lots of coconut and served with a mango sauce; l had at least 10 good sized shrimp. Way to much food for terra miso the highlighted dessert. Service was attentive and quick.. Bill was a little pricey, but now that we know the serving sizes are so huge we will order less.

Warm dinner rolls accompanied the meal with two sauces; a hot sauce and a parsley sauce which was different and very good. Definetely a return visit in mind.

We ate there tonight for my birthday and were very disappointed. Four us ordered the coconut shrimp and were all surprised with only getting such a small portion of shrimp on the skewers (3 had 6, 1 had 5). Two of these plates had cold mashed potatoes (refrigerator cold). These got sent back to be nuked. The portion of the mashed potatoes was also small. I had a rice side and was expecting plain rice and instead got either a pilaf or a risotto (not sure which). It tasted good but wasn't hot enough (I didn't send it back).

Several of us talked my wife's sister in to having the Osso Buco. What was served looked nothing and tasted nothing like what 3 of us had ever seen or tasted before. We also asked for two glasses of wine with our meal and never received it (and we didn't ask after the food issues). Shortly before asking for the bills, a waiter did come over and ask us if we wanted our wine now, which I declined.

One of us had the Caesar/Shrimp Salad (made at tableside) which was excellent and the lady who had the Osso Buco really liked her Azteca Soup. I also ordered a Calamari Frito appetizer which was shared (well okay I wolfed down most of it) that was tasty.

I called Eric over afterwards, and he apologized profusely and he knocked 220 pesos off the bill. He said they had a new person working in the kitchen.

My wife and I have eaten here 6-8 times before and have always been very happy. Not so much now.

Sadly, we had a similar experience early this evening. Nothing came out right: skewers of mahi mahi and shrimp with small, tough shrimp. The owner came over and wanted suggestions. I guess the good cook is gone.

We've eaten there a number of times, and it used to be one of our favorites.

I hope things turn around for the owner. He has lots of competition. What he needs is a new chef at this point.

Archived