Chapala.com Webboard

Monte Cristo

kbiohio

We had dinner at Monte Cristo (just passed La Huerta in W. Ajijic). We were very pleased. The atmosphere is nice. The service was great. Our meals were fabulous. The price...well a smidge high for the lakeside area...but it would have been a fabulous deal for the same meal north of the border.

Basket of toasted bread with garlic butter spread

Pear salad with cherry tomatoes, pistachios, goat cheese, balsamic vinagrette... big enough that we split it

One entree... shrimp, chicken, beef kabobs

One entree... t-bone steak, mashed potatoes, grilled veggies

Carrot cake... lovely...we shared

1 glass of malbec and 3 dark beers

Total with 15% tip just shy of $600p

Shucks my computer blew up before I could finish the post above! We can't afford to go every week, but for an occasional nicer evening... We will return!

In all fairness... There were less expensive options... One doesn't have to have four alcoholic beverages and dessert. There was a selection of burgers.

Thanks, Kbiohio. Excellent review. You have sealed it. I AM going to Monte Crisco soonest. It can not be a regular for me, but I feel a special occasion coming up.

If you're not having appetizers, multiple alcoholic beverages and dessert, the prices are about average for this area. (As in Tango, Roberto, etc.) I prefer the atmosphere and the values at El Ancla and Arileo, but the food at Monte Cristo is very good.

• 2 weeks later...

We had dinner there last night ,had ribs which were asgood as Tonys with tamarind bbq sauce, Zucchini cooked perfectly al dente, My partner had the best grouper she has had Lakeside except at Tabarka, we split a wonderful Caesar salad, Service was great, There were not very many diners there, So we need to keep this one on our list of favorites

We have been there t least 6-7 times since they opened about 3 months ago. Love the food, the owners and everyone who works there. Last Tuesday there were 3 of us that went for dinner. We brought our little dog and mentioned to the friendly staff that it was his birthday. During our dinner the entire staff came out with a meatball drizzled with balsamic and a candle in the top for him. They have a huge patio where they welcome dogs. The owners have 4 at home!

I went there yesterday for the second time and although the food is good, the service friendly and the prices fair, I heartily wish they could come up with a solution to the noise problem, which is probably going to keep me from returning. Waaah! If they could close one of those huge doors, it might help a lot. My husband had the mahi mahi and shrimp brochette. I think it was 5 brochettes.....almost too much for a hearty eater. I had their chicken stuffed with cheese and spinach, covered with an excellent poblano sauce. Another winner.

So, if you don't mind the noise, this is a fine eatery.

Archived