Chapala.com Webboard

May I ask some advice?

modeeper

Good day. I'm in GDL west, been here for a year this time. I live in a little pueblo that hasn't much to offer other than a trove of very nice locals.

I'm a musician and have to travel downtown to even hear music. I'm wondering about the possibilities of living in or near Chapala. There's live music there, right? Musicians are appreciated and paid? Is it a fun place to live?

I am retired and on a rather small pension. I couldn't afford much for rent, don't earn much. Is it possible to get a little house somewhere outside the zona dorada for 2-3000 a month?

I'm quite fluent in Spanish and retired from teaching English as a Foreign Language. Any work in those areas?

I haven't been to Chapala for 20 years. Last time I was there we had a bad water shortage and the running joke was owning mud-front properties.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Mo

Yes, yes, yes, yes and yes. You will fit right in, lots of musicians, you can sit in on gigs, make friends. Your rental budget is a bit low but, I think, doable in Chapala outside the historic area, and possibly you can find a casita within your budget if you are not too picky. You are used to living like a Mexican, so that helps, budgetwise. There is a guy here who has a newsletter of upcoming music events. PM me and I will ask him to put you on the email list. Tell us more about your music and you just might get an invitation for at least a sofa to sleep on when you visit! As long as you don't play the bassoon at midnight;)

Thanks Jay!

Well I started at the guitar about the time of Elvis, Johnny Cash, Little Richard, Chuck Berry and Jerry Lee Lewis. Most guys grow a pot, lose some hair and quit playing .. I was too dumb for that.

This trip I've been playing with The Fachada de Pierdra and Chester Blues Band. Played with those guys (and girls) when I lived here before as well. They are fairly famous round here.

I'll have to drive down to visit one day soon. Thanks again Jay.

The area around the Chapala tiangis would have rentals in that price range (not listed with the gringo agencies - need to walk and talk to folks living in the area). We rented in that neighborhood while we were building our house. We paid 3000pesos/month for a three bedroom, 1.5 bath with small garage. We had reliable internet and phone. The neighbors were friendly. I felt safe. I could walk to everything in Chapala (20 min walk to the malecon).

Yes, there is plenty of activity for musicians in the lakeside area.

Music is a hard living here in my opinion. Work like the Mexicans if you don't have much money and find many things to do to make money. Enough small amounts of money and you can live. Lots of music scene here but money is not that good. Maybe teach some classes if you have some skills to share. Not saying you can't do it but music money is tight. Good Buskers make more money than playing in a band in a bar for example. I will let others speak about teaching English here as I am not in that scene.

Good Luck and give me a PM if you come down here and I will show you Ajijic.

Thanks to all. I drove to Chapala last night, went to the malecon. I don't want to state the obvious, just to say what a pity.

I didn't do Ajijic cause it was another 40k RT of travel. But there on the boardwalk a club owner told me there're only two places where live music can be heard on weekends.

I can appreciate Itscats' comments .. indeed living off music is tuff in the best of times. What makes it worse is - at least in my case - is having to depend on other musicians, I don't do solo. I doubt the guys I have lined up will travel to Ajijic with all that equipment, lug it around, set it up, tear it down, play till dawn for a pittance, even though they're somewhat poor. The GDL scene is awful as well. Isn't entertainment one of the first luxuries we give up in hard economic times? What is it they say about women .. her hairdresser is last to go :^)

Just curious. These types of comments are pretty prevalent on these Mexico themed message boards and was wandering if the people that make them give much thought into what they say before the post it?

It sounds to me the OP is used to living like a poor gringo. He couldn't live like an infinite amount of Mexicans live.

You are used to living like a Mexican, so that helps, budgetwise.

Thanks to all. I drove to Chapala last night, went to the malecon. I don't want to state the obvious, just to say what a pity.

I didn't do Ajijic cause it was another 40k RT of travel. But there on the boardwalk a club owner told me there're only two places where live music can be heard on weekends.

I can appreciate Itscats' comments .. indeed living off music is tuff in the best of times. What makes it worse is - at least in my case - is having to depend on other musicians, I don't do solo. I doubt the guys I have lined up will travel to Ajijic with all that equipment, lug it around, set it up, tear it down, play till dawn for a pittance, even though they're somewhat poor. The GDL scene is awful as well. Isn't entertainment one of the first luxuries we give up in hard economic times? What is it they say about women .. her hairdresser is last to go :^)

Have you been in contact with the TallBoys band? They might need an extra member. A while back, they were looking for one. They have a web site.

Just curious. These types of comments are pretty prevalent on these Mexico themed message boards and was wandering if the people that make them give much thought into what they say before the post it?

It sounds to me the OP is used to living like a poor gringo. He couldn't live like an infinite amount of Mexicans live.

Sorry but could you paraphrase that? I'm a poor Gringo but couldn't stand to live like a poor Mexican? Is that your point? Well to me poor is a state of mind, a world view that impoverishes a person. So I'll never be poor. I'd much rather be poor in disposable income than poor as in a friendless misplaced human rodent without a clue swimming in green. :blink: But true, I couldn't and wouldn't live like a poor person, be he Mexican or any other nationality. Just saying ...

Have you been in contact with the TallBoys band? They might need an extra member. A while back, they were looking for one. They have a web site.

I saw their vid, very nice, thank you. But no, that's music for some other musician.

Sorry but could you paraphrase that? I'm a poor Gringo but couldn't stand to live like a poor Mexican? Is that your point? Well to me poor is a state of mind, a world view that impoverishes a person. So I'll never be poor. I'd much rather be poor in disposable income than poor as in a friendless misplaced human rodent without a clue swimming in green. :blink: But true, I couldn't and wouldn't live like a poor person, be he Mexican or any other nationality. Just saying ...

Wow man, like far out! I get what you're saying, bro. So let me "paraphrase". You are accustomed to living on a small income.

But my post wasn't directed at you. It was directed at those that make ignorant comments on how Mexicans live, etc.

Wow man, like far out! I get what you're saying, bro. So let me "paraphrase". You are accustomed to living on a small income.

But my post wasn't directed at you. It was directed at those that make ignorant comments on how Mexicans live, etc.

How is it I missed that? Oh I see now, your post #9 is referring to post #6 but without a quote. I hear ya now bro. I read that but wasn't offended. But comments like that, even though they might be true, show only that the person is confusing Mexicans with the working poor all over the world. It also makes ya look a little like someone who hasn't traveled much. But the guy was trying to help, that's makes it okay.

I need some more advice if you'd be so kind, and I can't find the right forum to ask. It about the state of your lake .. is it okay to bring up such subject matter? To tell the truth all I know about it is what was the buzz 15-20 years ago when I lived and worked in GDL.

Curiosity is in the category of trolling? Had some ruff experiences here with trolls have we? Cumon, what happened to your water? I'm asking if it's improper to ask a Lake Chapala person what happened to their water. Or should I just rely on 20-year-old gossip?

Good day. I'm in GDL west, been here for a year this time. I live in a little pueblo that hasn't much to offer other than a trove of very nice locals.

Do you live in a little pueblo or do you live in Guadalajara?

Curiosity is in the category of trolling? Had some ruff experiences here with trolls have we? Cumon, what happened to your water? I'm asking if it's improper to ask a Lake Chapala person what happened to their water. Or should I just rely on 20-year-old gossip?

If you have been in this area for a year, you surely must know about the state of Lake Chapala.

Way to go Modeeper. Ask for advice and then goad the locals who responded to you.

I agree with La Chula. If you have been 30 minutes away from Lake Chapala for a year and do not know about the state of the lake (and why), you are very ill informed and/or ignorant. Now, if you simply are trolling, that is more understandable--no more likable, but more understandable.

Oh, come on folks, let's lighten up on our assumptions. No one's trolling. Let's give each other a break, OK?

Modeeper, the lake's higher than it was in 2008 at about 35% capacity. People are swimming in it, I was in it a couple of weeks ago. In Ajijic it's 10-20 meters from the malecon. In the shallows among the reeds you can see thousands of young fish though fishing by humans is way way down, not too many doing that any more. Not as many large fish for eating. Hundreds of garzas fishing the smaller ones especially in Chapala. It's still a beautiful lake. So far very little motor boating, a big blessing.

Archived