Chapala.com Webboard

Need computer advice

The same thing happened to me last year and I needed to replace my laptop ASAP. I bought one here the next day. The keyboard is configured differently than a US pc, but the guys at Benno's changed it to act like a US keyboard. And they also switched the operating system language to English. I still hit the wrong keys sometimes but, overall, I'm very happy with this laptop and it was priced right.

Where did you get it and may I ask the price?

Xander at Bennos has an Asus touch screen Windows notebook for sale. You could call him at 766-5933. He does not open until around 10:30 and is there until around 5:00. Closed on weekends. I have sent you a PM.

You can buy Apple products with English keyboards and capable in several languages. Hall Microsystems is on Yañez, immediately off Glorieta Minerva. They also deliver and service at Lakeside. Once you switch, you will never go back to a Windows system, etc.

I'm a Mac user and agree with what you say. Last time I checked with Hallls they didn't have English keyboard models. And unfortunately Apple prices are usually much higher than Windows. As I mentioned before. an iPad might be the solution for the OP depending on what they need to do on a computer.

You are either a Mac or windows soul. I have tried both in computers, tables and cell phones. I am android phone, tablet and windows. Sorry Apple was just not my bag!

Anyone who has the older Ipad not the most current I have bluetooth keyboards and such to dispose of as I am not going back so if you are not current then drop me a PM..

I have many items on classifieds which do not get noticed as much as on here so check out my ads there.

camillenparadise sent you a PM..

Actually most of use one form of UNIX (LINUX is one form). Your Shaw/Telecable PVR box is probably using a LINUX operating system of some kind. Also Apple operating system is based on BSD which is a form of UNIX with an Apple GUI on top. LINUX is everywhere imbedded into many appliances also. No escaping using LINUX these days you just don't know you are using it!

• 2 months later...

Sorry for resurrecting an old post, but... :011:

I've used all three OS'. There are compelling reasons for each. When we first came to Mexico we were toting MacBook Air's. This was great until the logic board failed and the iShop in Tuxtla Gutierrez had no service desk. A nearby repair shop said $850US. We waited until we were back in the States and it was fixed for free (long story) within a week. However, as I was attempting to use my laptop to earn a living, that sort of downtime was unacceptable and it would only be much worse in Mexico vs. the US.

We returned to Mexico with two Chromebooks. I loaded Ubuntu onto them and happily used that setup for many months. The wife, not quite so happily, but it was sufficient. And then a client sent me files that required Photoshop. hmmm...I ended up buying a Dell desktop from a Telcel shop and built many web sites for many clients on Windows 7.

So this time we have returned to Mexico with two Windows 8 laptops. Big ones, 16" screens. By Tuesday I will be setting up my office in our new apartamento and selling the desktop.

Sometimes I miss my Mac, seldom do I miss the Chromebook, but Windows doesn't suck as much as it used to and it's what is required, so... :)

Archived