Chapala.com Webboard

Urgently looking for a good doctor

Rony

I ended up with a very bad bacterial infection (stomach, intestins )in a guesthouse in Puebla. At a hospital here, they put me on an IV, but the antibiotics are probably giving me sudden irregular heartbeats (or it might just be for not having been able to eat since Sunday). I know that you can not simply interrupt that kind of treatment and now I am really worried. Travelling with a doggie (and no car) does not make things easier. Friends have offered me their casita in Chapala and tonight I will take a taxi to Queretaro, and from there, another one to Chapala. It will not be an easy ride, the way I am feeling, but at least in Chapala, I will not have to worry about my dog.

Does anybody know a GOOD doctor who knows about antibiotics and one that I can see soon..... as soon as I get there.

Me and my travels....

Thks,

Rony

Rony,

Dr. Oscar Ibarra @ Clinica Ibarra in Chapala; just east of the bus station on the south side of that street - # 530 Miguel Martinez.

Office # is 765 - 4001.

PM me if you need a cell # for him.

And let us know if you need other help with the dog or food or whatever! What a horrible trip! I bet you do not remember meeting me, but I remember what a nice guy you are and wish you a speedy recovery!

I highly recommend Dr. Juan Pablo Loza in Chapala at Calle Guerrero 141-B at the corner of López Cotilla, just one block north of the American Legion. He has been great in two different diagnostic situations, one for my husband and one for me. You can email him tonight and tell him your situation and then call him when you arrive in Chapala or before. We have several friends who also have very good things to say about him. He very successful treated a friend of mine with a serious staph infection she picked up during a hospital stay. His English is excellent, if that matters for you. His info is:

dr.jploza ("at" sign) hotmail.com

cell 333 141 3364

phone 376 765 5477

Buena suerte, Rony. I hope you get help soon and feel better fast.

You and I have talked about this in the past. You mentioned that you are experiencing "sudden irregular heart beats". I'd see the cardiologist Dr. Briseño ASAP because he can correlate the drugs you have been put on with the symptoms you are experiencing. He has done wonders for this Registered Nurse and he just diagnosed a Mexican friend who had been misdiagnosed by IMSS. He was having irregular heart beats and after one visit Dr. Briseño realized that he had been put on meds that were causing his irregular beats and that it wasn't a cardiac problem per se. After using Dr. Briseño's new regimen the cardiac issue was resolved positively. His office number is: 766-5154. PM me for his private cell phone number if you need it.

I'm so sorry. I would highly recommend going to Dra. Elizabeth next door to Superlake without hesitation, she rocks with these horrible tummy issues and yes, she's an MD plus. I came back so sick from Peru last year, had to eat some raw trout and who knows what else, went to see her and she had me on some natural stuff that cleared it up with relief right away.

Oh dear Rony -- take care my friend.

I would recommend Dr. Santiago Hernandez who owns ChapalaMed in the new medical building on the way into Chapala. He trained here in Mexico and practiced for many years in Chicago and returned here.

He is a great diagnostician and doctor.

Hidalgo 293, Lourdes, 45040 Chapala, Jalisco, Jalisco, Mexico
+52 376 765 7777

take care my friend - stace

Ronnie - you need a cardiologist and I second Dr. Briseno - you can email him directly about your problem at - drbriseno@gmail.com. A girlfriend just went through this in Houston - got a very bad intestinal infection, infection went to her heart, caused heart rhythm problems and was in the hospital 3 weeks. First on antibiotics to clear up the infection, and on heart meds to control the heart rhythm. She has Afib and congestive heart failure now. She is better now, but please see a cardiologist, Dr. Briseno can also work with any other illness you have in addition to the irregular heart problem.

PS they think the infection caused her heart problems.

I'm so impressed with the responses to Rony's need. He did well posting on this forum. Everyone should feel good about the closeness and caring from the respondents. You rock, folks.

Mike

Rony's a good guy who's contributed much to the Lakeside community. He's been trying to move to Mexico City, and I'm beginning to wonder if fate is giving him a nudge to come "home".

I second the suggestion of going to the Ajijic Clinic since it sounds like he needs some in-house care. Dr. Rodriguez has a fine reputation there, and a second opinion from Dr. Briseno might be a good idea.

The ideal combination: Dr. Briseño for cardiac survey and Dr. Valenzuela, gastroenterologist, drvalenzuelaqx@gmail.com, for the intestinal problem. They coordinate beautifully and both come to Integrity clinic at Lakeside, 766-5154.

They have been keeping me alive, and it has not been easy.

The ideal combination: Dr. Briseño for cardiac survey and Dr. Valenzuela, gastroenterologist, drvalenzuelaqx@gmail.com, for the intestinal problem. They coordinate beautifully and both come to Integrity clinic at Lakeside, 766-5154.

They have been keeping me alive, and it has not been easy.

This makes the best sense in coordinating treatment that crosses medical specialties.

I do hope you found a healthcare provider. A case such as yours would may eventually need continued medical care and observation. An EKG and electrolytes and blood gas would be good starting points in my opinion. Often electrolyte and acid-base imbalances that are secondary to Gastrointestinal infections may cause irregular heart beats, like the ones you are referring. After the initial tests (which in a hospital or urgent care clinic) should take no more than 30 minutes to have them reported, your treatment can safely be initiated.

Rainy season is often marked by many Gastrointestinal infections in my practice.

Best of luck to you and I wish you a speedy recovery.

Oh dear Rony -- take care my friend.

I would recommend Dr. Santiago Hernandez who owns ChapalaMed in the new medical building on the way into Chapala. He trained here in Mexico and practiced for many years in Chicago and returned here.

He is a great diagnostician and doctor.

Hidalgo 293, Lourdes, 45040 Chapala, Jalisco, Jalisco, Mexico

+52 376 765 7777

take care my friend - stace

Where is this new medical building? Where is 293 Hidalgo? It is a long street.

The nicest thing about living here is not the weather, not the prices,..... it is you, thank you, guys, and girls..

I arrived (9 hour night taxi) this morning and immediately went to a doctor and got a different kind of antibiotics + the usual advice about drinking and sueros,.... Even after the IV's at the Puebla hospital, I am still completely dehydrated, but all together feeling fine now. The doctor also said that the sudden irregular heartbeats were probably due to that same dehydration, not having eaten anything since Sunday, the stress of ending up very sick in a very basic hotelroom with a dog in an unknown city (and it only happened one time).

I agree that more testing should be done, before medication or IV's are given,..... in order to adjust the right medication. That did not happen at the Puebla hospital, but I was too weak to say anything.

As they say,.... a man makes a plan..... and god laughs.

Rony

Archived