Chapala.com Webboard

Our Television may be dead . . .

J.Miller

I think that our television is probably beyond repair and we will likely be in the market for something new, preferably a 50 inch screen that is slim and light. The questions are: what should we do with the old one (very large 60 inch) and also, where might we look lakeside for the best deal and a decent warranty. We have been considering another Sony or maybe an LG. It doesn't need a lot of bells and whistles, just a decent picture, sound and something that is user friendly for us non-rocket scientist people.

If you are a Costco member, that might be your best choice and if not Lakeside Express could get one for you. They have a large selection. We have LGs and Samsungs both here and in the States and are happy with both buy have a slight preference for Samsung.

Thanks. I am a Costco member and I live in Joco where I am pretty sure they have a fairly new Coppel so I will check out both. Does anyone know if Coppel will take away the old one? If it was not too expensive I 3would have the old one repaired and give it to our Gardner but at this point we cannot even get it to turn on and when we did it had blue dots right in the middle of the screen . . . very irritating!

We checked all the above mentioned places and more and found suprisingly the best deal at Walmart. just depends who is having a sale at the time. We ended up with an LG 50" flat screen smart TV.

As far as your old TV there is a wonderful service in San Antonio called Scrap Recyclers. not sure if they go to joco but I bet they do. They have a facebook page where you will find phone number and more info. They pu just about anything. Including electronic normal reclcling, old batteries like I said the list is extensive. I havent used them yet but have friends that have and they sing their praises....did I mention they do this for free!

What is the brand name of the dead TV? Some of the "made in China" brands have a defective part that goes out. My sons

trouble shot one and found the problem. They ordered replacement parts from China. It ran about 46 cents a piece.

We are in Arizona, so we can't help you, but I just wanted to let you know those things can be fixed.

2 years ago we decided to buy a new flat and of course hubby did all kinds of research and we went hunting, found the best deals at Walmart on Black Friday which is coming soon.

We got one that you can plug a stick into so now I download movies and watch them instead of buying the garbage movies at the tianguis.

The electrical repair place on the carretera in San Juan Cosala (Teleservicio Calvario) will usually accept nonworking TVs for parts.

Why do I buy most large electronics at Costco? Because you can take them back or get the help you need to fix something. Walmart does not help at all when something breaks as a rule without a huge amount of arguing which I don't care to do anymore. I just had a Factora issue with Costco and they send down the English speaking accountant to help me. That probably won't happen at Walmart.

Rufus: It is a Sony. We have ordered parts from e-bay and replaced them ourselves but in this case the picture is increasing obscured by blue dots and now it will not turn on without a lot of fiddling around, so it is developing some definite signs of wearing out. We have been talking about replacing it for a couple of years and just have not made it a priority. I think that it is time. But if there was some sort of technical school or someplace that could use it for parts or education, I would be happy to pass it on.

Thanks all for your suggestions on brands and what to do with the old set; that gives me options to think about.

Archived