Chapala.com Webboard

Need WiFi advice

bdlngton

I recently brought back a small laptop from the US as a replacement for my netbook that stopped working. It is a Samsung with Chrome. I used it at my friend's home in the US, at the Portland airport, at Black Coffee Gallery here, and was also able to connect to internet at a local computer repair shop. However I have not been able to connect at home. When I put in my Infinitum SSID and then my ContraseƱa (WPA Key--10 digits long) I get the message that my password is incorrect. I had no problem using my previous netbook at home and others have been able to connect their laptops to WiFi in my home.

I'm kind of stumped as to where to turn to resolve this problem. Is it possible that I need a different modem?

I don't think you need a different modem, but I'm curious why you have to enter the Infinitum SSID. Isn't your laptop already picking up the wireless network so that all you have to do is enter the password to join it?

Are you able to use the Internet by tethering the laptop to the modem?

Are you using caps lock on?

Are you using Windows Xp?

Is your modem using wpa2?

For Infinitum modems you have to type in the password all in upper case letters.

Windows Xp may not support WPA2 security encryption, a patch is needed.

Even though the Internet wireless is working for other people at your place, and yours is working elsewhere, there may be a DNS problem with the modem's memory, blah blah blah. So reset the modem to factory, by holding a paper clip or pen in the little hole on the back, for perhaps 30 or 40 seconds... until all the modem lights start to act up.

Archived