Chapala.com Webboard

cleaning grout between tiles

I need to do it. Yes, careful use of CLR/muriatic acid will do it, but I am too decrepit to spend a lot of time down on the floor cleaning tiles and I can't stick the maid with this. What and/or whom do you recommend?

It just so happens I am in the middle of a big floor grout cleaning project in my home and I have lots of rooms with tile. Below are the recipes that do work for me.

I have tried the two recipes below as well as carpet shampoo in hot water. I have a carpet shampoo machine that sucks up the liquid, however, since it require a lot of use of the machine, I want to make sure I don't over use so, I have switched to a Wet Dry Vac. These three options all work. It's a matter of preference.

Leave on 10-30 minutes.

1 Cup Hot Water

1/2 cup Baking Soda

1/2 Cup Hydrogen Peroxide

or

1 Quart Vinegar

1 Quart Water

1/2 cup Baking Soda

I'll give you a third option, a professional one - if you are lucky enough to own a 'dry' steamer (superheated steam) scrub the grout with the long handled extension and the stainless steel brush. No soap necessary. When it is dry, seal the grout lines with a clear acrylic sealer, or a tinted one, if you can find it or make it. Repeat every couple or few years. One of the great mysteries why they don't use grout sealer in Mexico.

Grout supposedly has a sealer in it, but it is no way enough. If you have a Saltillo tile floor, or other porous tiles, the grout will get sealed when the sealer goes on the floor after it is laid (altho those types of tiles need get a couple coats of sealer BEFORE they are laid, as well as after). I put down a new coat of water-based wax sealer on my floors every year after scrubbing them super clean and have never had the need to clean the grout separately.

Archived