Chapala.com Webboard

Telecable Internet Service

Remember one thing. It all depends upon where you live. In some neighborhoods Telmex is fantastic and Telecable very poor. In other neighborhoods both are great and in others, neither, etc, etc. So you should also check with your neighbors before choosing.

I live in upper West Ajijic. In my neighborhood, Telecable offers much faster service but very occasionally goes out for short times while, Telmex comes in great all the time, but is not as fast.

Both work with Windows 8.1 etc

We have both Telmex and Telecable. Same experience as Johanson. Telecable is MUCH faster but goes out for very short periods every once in a while. Telmex almost never goes out but is considerably slower - but gets the job done including clear calls over Vonage.

I switched to Telecable internet over two years ago after tiring of regular phone calls to Telmex customer service to complain. I have the 8 Mps service and it consistently runs at that speed. Yes, there are occasional drop-offs - usually lasting a minute or two at most - but this is much better than my experience with Telmex. Telecable internet is apparently not available yet in all neighborhoods, but (other than that) since it's fiber optic cable I'm not sure there's any particular reason why it should be better in one neighborhood than another.

Remember one thing. It all depends upon where you live. In some neighborhoods Telmex is fantastic and Telecable very poor. In other neighborhoods both are great and in others, neither, etc, etc. So you should also check with your neighbors before choosing.

I live in upper West Ajijic. In my neighborhood, Telecable offers much faster service but very occasionally goes out for short times while, Telmex comes in great all the time, but is not as fast.

Both work with Windows 8.1 etc

Thank you for responding to my question on the Chapala blog regarding Telecable.

On a new laptop I have Windows 8.1. It connects to the internet when I am not in Mexico, but here I cannot get a wireless connection.

I asked the men at Benos who told me there is a connectivity problem between Telmex and Windows 8.1.

You seem to be of the opinion that Telmex and 8.1 work fine together. Perhaps you would be kind enough to give me any tips you have to get 8.1 connected to the internet.

I've got two computers running on Windows 8.1 and I have Telmex. No problem. Those of us who come to the Windows computer club meeting at the LCS who have Windows 8.1 connect there to another Telmex wireless connection. None of us have any problems.

I don't use any special skills to connect wirelessly. I just do it the same way I would with any other windows product. I have also used my Win 8.1 computers at Salvador's Restaurant on his Telmex wireless connection.

I have never heard anyone mention that there was a problem connecting to Telmex. Heck Telmex sell computers running on that program in their office.

Just to confirm what Pete is saying: Windows 8.1 works just like Windows 7, and any other version, for wireless. Whoever told you that it doesn't is nutz. There are no special tips. Simpy enter the 10-digit WEP/WAP key that is printed on the modem, to the WiFi connect tool in Windows.

If there are connectivity problems, there are many potential solutions. Windows 8 vs. TelMex is not one of them.

I have Telmex and Telecable. I would take Telmex all things being equal but distance to switch limits speed so I purchased 10 download speed from Telecable. It works fine is a little more cranky and sensitive to local neighborhood loading than Telmex but basically I am happy. 600P / mo for 10 download speed no bundle. 10 download speed from Telmex can be hard to get because of distance issues as they don't seem to want to install repeaters in lakeside. Sometimes both go down as they did yesterday for a short period of time. Where you live makes a big difference as others have said. I am over by Robertos restaurant.

Ditto on the Windows 8.1 thing. No issues for me regarding connectivity.

One windows phone, a Surface tablet with Windows 8 and a PC with Windows 8.1. Take them all over the place and have not had a problem.... in three countries. Locally, most of the restaurants with free Wi-Fi.

Has anyone had any experience with internet service from Telecable. Specifically I'm interested in knowing how reliable it is and if there are any connectivity problems with Windows 8. Is the service lost when there are power outages?

Perhaps I didn't express my problem correctly. I can connect to my in-home wireless but I cannot connect to the internet. When I attach an ethernet cable I can connect to the internet but many times I cannot go further using a link. I'm working on a Lenovo laptop. Any ideas?

There are many potential reasons, unfortunately, nothing cut-and-dried. Your security key, your wireless software drivers, your DNS resolver cache for the wifi adapter, winsock settings, TCP/IP, SSL settings, hostsfile... the modem itself... PMd you.

Archived