Chapala.com Webboard

Help!! Any late nite computer buff on line

Somehow I just lost a very important, unreplaceable file on line. It disappeared from my file , but it shows up in my recently used documents.

I cannot figure out how to move it back into my file folders

I can call my computer guy tomrrow but need it tonite or in early am, plus I am afraid it will dissapear from there. I have Mocrosoft HP 8 Professional

Any one know how I can do this. ?

Hi Marty

The "recently used is just a list of recently used.

But, Maybe the software showing it really does know where the missing doc is....

So, try clicking on the entry in recently used and if it comes up, the do "File/Save As" or similar.

If it does not show up, then take a look in the "Recycle Bin".

Good luck

If you pulled the file on-line... it will likely be in your "download" folder. If using Firefox, click the down arrow at the top right, it will show you a list of downloaded files. Go to the file name and right-mouse-click and select "go to containing folder" then copy it and move it to where you can find it.

If using IE, go to "Tools" and click "view downloads."

If you know the file name... (which should be in your "recently used" list...) in Win7, Go to "Start" (the big round globe thing at the bottom left with the Windows flag) and you will see a box at the bottom of the list that pops up that says: "Search programs and files"

Hopefully this helps.

If you are using a Mac, "Love, Peace and Tofu" to ya!

If you are using Win8, good luck with the learning curve.

Sorry, just getting on now. You can download a piece of software called search everything and install that. Then simply type in the name or part of the name of the file, and it will show you every instance.

Sorry, just getting on now. You can download a piece of software called search everything and install that. Then simply type in the name or part of the name of the file, and it will show you every instance.

Is there a Mac version? I can't find one.

You would be referring to the SEARCH box in the lower left of the desktop screen, under the START orb in Vista/W7, but called from the Programs menu in Windows XP.

Not all directories in Windows are indexed using that feature, and that's why it can often take a good deal of time to find an answer, and often enough no answer at all. For PCs, Search Everything indexes the entire computer: every file, all the time, so results begin to display as soon as you type the first letter of your search.

Thank you all for your advice. For those of you who recommended some software programs, I am not computer literate ( as you all guessed by now) and have never heard of them. I did eventually figure out that I could transfer the file which was on the recently viewed list to a folder, but now it is stuck as a file in another folder. . My computer is 12 yrs old. It is time to change.

Anyone know if I can buy a decent large screen computer here in Mexico that's in English and is reasonably priced? . I hear horror stories about having one fed exed from the US. The two packages I had received from fed ex from US when I first moved here and did not know better, came pulled apart and taped, with items missing.

Marty, if your computer is 12 years old, you are in for some serious culture shock when you buy a new one!.

I worked with Rueben at Computerland (next to Magana´s Café in Riberas). He built me a desktop with just the stuff I needed and would use. I did splurge on a large, flat screen monitor with good resolution.

Best of luck.

Archived