Chapala.com Webboard

How can I see some rental properties?

Earl

Does anyone have any suggestions for how I can get to see some rental properties? It's my guess that the real estate companies who have rental listings are much more interested in sales. They don't return calls and publish defunct email addresses, promise to get back with me, tell me how busy they are, tell me they don't know what their schedule is, give me a new email address--also defunct.....You get the picture. I have had 2 other individuals tell me they've had the same problem. Admittedly, 2 is not a huge sampling, but this was also my experience 8 yrs ago. I really would like to see some of the properties that are listed. I can't help but wonder if the folks who own these properties have any idea of how would-be-renters are ignored.

And this problem is not just because it's Holy Week. It's been ongoing.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Mirna, at Continental Realty is a gem. Just walk into the office and ask for her. She has LOTS of listings, and either she or one of the agents will make arrangements to help you. Could also be that this is a holiday time, and people are on vacation, part time or covering for others who are on vacation.

How about following up on some of the listings on the various bulletin boards? You can find them at the Lake Chapala Society, Donas Donuts, El Torito Grocery, and Superlake Grocery, among others. You will not only avoid the run around you are experiencing at the agencies, but the rents will likely be cheaper because the owners putting up the listings are not paying the big agency fees.

Earl, if you have found rental listings with realtors and had a negative experience with them why would you want them to act as your potential property manager? You think they are suddenly going to be attentive when you rent the property? I personally do not believe there are many really good rental properties out there but JNC's advise makes the most sense to me.

Does anyone have any suggestions for how I can get to see some rental properties? It's my guess that the real estate companies who have rental listings are much more interested in sales. They don't return calls and publish defunct email addresses, promise to get back with me, tell me how busy they are, tell me they don't know what their schedule is, give me a new email address--also defunct.....You get the picture. I have had 2 other individuals tell me they've had the same problem. Admittedly, 2 is not a huge sampling, but this was also my experience 8 yrs ago. I really would like to see some of the properties that are listed. I can't help but wonder if the folks who own these properties have any idea of how would-be-renters are ignored.

I think the problem of not getting a response is more cultural. Mexicans like to do business in person, especially on initial contact. Go into the office of the listed property and meet the agent with lots of smiles and niceties. After the initial contact you should get phone and emails returned. Mexicans do business differently than we do.

Please PM me

• 2 weeks later...

ctsrle,

If you would like to suggest your private property to a poster please send them a PM. The rules do not permit forum postings to sell or rent private property. That is why your separate post has been removed.

Mexpat06, moderator

Please post what you are looking for (ie: how many bedrooms, specific location if it matters, etc) - you will get many responses from owners that may have properties available. It is also important to state whether you require furnished or unfurnished. Be prepared to supply a healthy list of references. Good luck

Going in person did make a difference with 2 of the rental offices. The third one was exceedingly rude and limited me to looking at only one place. I agree with the person who said, in effect, that such lax agents would also not be responsive to your needs as a renter.

I need something near a bus route and prefer unfurnished. I want 2 bedrooms and 1.5 or 2 bathrooms. I prefer San Antonio or Ajijic but not lower La Floresta. I love the location and security of El Parque, but what they ask for tiny houses where there is hardly room to change your mind....

A couple folks said they PM'd me. I will do a search through my email because I have not seen anything. Thank you all for your help.

Earl - if folks said they would PM you, that won't happen through your email, but instead it is via the messenger function of this board. Scroll to the top of the page when on this forum and look for a small envelope in the upper right corner and click on that, or go to the profile drop down menu and you will find "messenger" as a choice. There is where you will find personal messages (PMs) others have sent you.

Good luck finding a rental home. They are out there. We, also, are another satisfied past customer of Roma on Javier Mina. We used to be landlords, but our tenants were equally pleased. And like others said, try to initiate your contact in person.

Archived